Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dawpooldad
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Cleaning and restoring leather seats on 1954 S2

Post by dawpooldad »

Hi,
I am after some advice about cleaning and conditioning some very old and dirty red leather front seats, that have been left to the elements for some time.
Physically, they are in good nick, so if anyone has successfully done this then I'd be obliged for any help.

I did come across a Standard 10 at a rally, that had had a real good job done on the seats, but I couldn't locate the owner to ask him!

Thanks in anticipation.

Rgds
dawpooldad
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Re: Cleaning and restoring leather seats on 1954 S2

Post by myoldjalopy »

Check out this thread: https://www.mmoc.org.uk/Messageboard/vi ... =5&t=66286
Assuming the leather is "in good nick", then the Woolies kit will be able to clean and re-colour them. You would be advised to give the seats some leather feed (like Connolly's) when cleaned and before re-colouring. As long as the leather is not rotted, or seriouslly worn or damaged, remarkable results can be obtained :)
dawpooldad
Minor Friendly

Post by dawpooldad »

Hi,
Thanks for that. It looks like just what I was looking for.
Rgds
dawpooldad
firedrake1942
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by firedrake1942 »

I did mine and there are policies here which helped me from another poster and some of mine. I was stunned ny the results. There is also leather putty, which I have not used yet bye which achieves incredible results on very worn areas. I did have splits and tears. all repaired by taking the seat covers off and using leather and leather glue from underneath. You cannot now see the repairs.

I also followed advice on there about destuffing the seats which in my 1957 are likely to be like yours and are different from modern ones and have a dunlopillow latex cushing. I have a far more comfortable set of seats and have gained about 1 1/2" ride height. It also enabled me to repair welds on the seats I didn't know needed doing.

I highly recommend Woolies and they are unfailingly helpful. The seats do not look new , but the new recently reupholstered look was not what i was looking for !

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=66286&hilit=woolies
Sleeper
Minor Legend
Location: Manchester ( Damp and Miserable ) and that's just the wife...

Post by Sleeper »

Purchased this last week at the steam fair,from all reports it;s good stuff

http://www.leathergenie.co.uk/

Has anyone on here tried it?

John :wink: