Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Hunsta
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Silly engine tie rod question.

Post by Hunsta »

Ok As I have a kinda Franken-Morris. I have a question about the engine Tie rod bracket. Was the bracket an aftermarket add on just to stop clutch shudder? Or was it standard equipment? From pictures I can see its just a double ended threaded bar with brackets from the head to the body. Is this correct.
As this would have the go onto a Morris 8 body with my 948cc I`ll have to manufacture one (which isnt a problem). However if it is an aftermarket part. I assume it isnt a replacement for the rear engine steady cable is it?
Cheers
Craig
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Silly engine tie rod question.

Post by philthehill »

The engine steady was not originally fitted to the Minor but was fitted as a factory incorporated modification to reduce engine sway.
See Wksp Man Section AA.37 for details.
The gearbox steady cable introduced again as a factory incorporated modification to stop the engine moving forward under braking an hitting the radiator.
See Wksp Man Sect AA36 for details.

Both of the above modifications could be reto fitted to those Minors produced before the mods were factory incorporated.

The 1/4" UNF bolts into the rear of the gearbox should be replaced with 5/16" UNC bolts as the 1/4" UNF bolts easily pull the threads. The threads are too fine for bolt retention in the alloy casing. BMC just utilised what was already fitted.

Hunsta
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by Hunsta »

Thanks for clearing that up Phil. I swear I get more straight away answers from this UK forum than I do from the Aussie equivalent.
Cheers
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by philthehill »

Happy to be of help.
By the way - No question asked on here is silly - no one knows it all.

If you do not want to fit the tie bar bolting right through the engine mounting rubber appears to do the same thing in cutting down the engine sway which can and does mainly lead to the clutch judder.
I have run my 1400cc, 1380cc, 998cc and 948cc engines both with and without the tie bar and what I did notice was that the effect of the engine on the body was considerably less when not fitted. Currently I have the tie bar fitted with a much stronger body bracket.
An after market Mini engine steady could be adapted to fit between the Morris 8 chassis and the bottom of the Minor rear engine plate.
Years ago I used to part own a Morris 8 special with all the period tuning goodies fitted. Sounded lovely as it had twin BSA Gold Star silencers fitted on the end of the multibranch exhaust manifold.
Phil