Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Parcel shelf

Post by Declan_Burns »

I made mine from plywood. Aircraft grade ply is the best choice and as far as I can remember I glued two battens underneath lengthwise to stiffen it. The crash pad is 1/2" pipe insulation from the DIY and all is covered in leatherette. That was 10 years ago and the next time I have the car over here at the house I will check to see how I fixed it to the bulkhead. I know I certainly did not rivet it.
Regards
Declan
Attachments
PICT0604.JPG
PICT0604.JPG (576.9 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
Parcel_tray_1.JPG
Parcel_tray_1.JPG (181.25 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
PICT0628.JPG
PICT0628.JPG (1.19 MiB) Viewed 1665 times

Regards
Declan
IslipMinor
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IslipMinor »

The picture below is from 1966 BMC Body Manual, and shows the front fixing to the bulkhead as being with rivets (Item 33).
Parcel Shelf Variants.jpg
Parcel Shelf Variants.jpg (184.69 KiB) Viewed 1650 times
Quite a range of parcel shelf designs over the period?
Richard

399NRO
Minor Friendly

Post by 399NRO »

palacebear wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:48 pm
399NRO wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:40 am
What is the difference between standard and de luxe trim? I had assumed all 62-64 Minors were duotone.
As stated above. Duo-tone seats and door cards if 'Deluxe' trim. Single-tone if 'Standard' trim.
I was thinking more generally when I posted that. Are there any other differences other than seats and door card between standard and de luxe? The A40 Farina differentiated between standard and de luxe by addition of overriders, opening side windows, floor covering, screen finishers for example.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Overriders were not fitted to the standard Minor. Neither was a passenger side sunvisor. The rear load area (on a Traveller like yours) was not trimmed and rear armrests were absent I think. I have an idea that carpets were less comprehensive too. I have a standard saloon and the upright section in front of the rear seat is not carpeted. No doubt there are other features too. As I've said before, you can tell from the chassis number plate whether the car was a standard or deluxe.
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Were not leather seats a de-luxe option for a period in the 1950's/early 60's?
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

myoldjalopy wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:04 am Were not leather seats a de-luxe option for a period in the 1950's/early 60's?
Yes, leather seat facings were part of the deluxe specification from the early 1950s until late 1961 when the leather was replaced by duotone vinyl. This enquiry concerns a 1962 model hence the duotone would be correct if the car is a deluxe model or plain blue vinyl if it is a standard car.
palacebear
Minor Legend

Post by palacebear »

Did 'standard' Travellers have a rubber floor covering in the front footwells instead of carpet? Quite possibly that was earlier. Just thought I'd throw it into the mix 😊
1956 4-door called Max