Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: brake lines - material?

Post by Declan_Burns »

Bela,
I know the problem and there are ways around it! My car has copper brake lines (which I don't like) and I have never had an issue. It depends on which TÜV (MOT) you use and in which Federal state you are based. I use a small local garage who only work only on British cars. It is not the TÜV who come to the garage but DEKRA on their behalf. It is like Mohammed and the mountain! The garage owner knows the testers and their quirks and never has a problem occurred. Some of the testers actually drive classic cars so you have the best of both worlds. There are actually two or three such garages around here. Last September when I took the MG TD for testing they didn't even sit in the car or put it on a lift. It was an oral test except for the brakes. I have seen emissions tests done (required after mid 1969 cars) with testing systems not even working!) I suggest you give the larger testing stations, especially the larger automated stations, a wide berth and use small local services.
That is the easiest way to avoid bureaucracy.
Copper brake lines are actually banned in some countries. Kunifer is the best way to go in my opinion.
But...
Your problem is that the car has just been imported into Germany and you require a full acceptance test not just an MOT. DEKRA can only issue an MOT but not a full acceptance cert. With all the modifications done to your car I think the copper pipes are a minor issue and you will have a problem.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
Bela
Minor Friendly

Post by Bela »

Declan

since yesterday the car is on the road. During the initial inspection no one discussed about the brake lines.
King Kenny
Minor Fan

Post by King Kenny »

I am pleased you have the car on the road where it should be. Good luck.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.