Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
championdungspreader
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Hub caps

Post by championdungspreader »

I'm mid restoration of a '55 saloon. The hub caps should be chrome and I'm undecided whether to buy new chrome or have the existing ones re-chromed. Has anyone bought brand new chromed caps (not stainless steel) and if so any feedback please? We hear lots about the quality of bumpers but I have not seen anything reported about hubcaps. I'm not sure of the price of re-chroming, but ESM have the new ones for £32ish each.
Thanks in advance
mogbob
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Hub caps

Post by mogbob »

I reckon for hub caps you can tell the difference (blind folded probably ) between an original and a new one by the weight alone. The older one will be thicker metal and therefore heavier. Get yourself a quote or two for re-chroming and then compare. If you have other stuff for re-chroming .eg. bumpers for instance , then probably the price for the hub caps might ( ? ) be discounted for you.
It always about the quality of the finished article , versus how much money you will have to spend. A well chromed original will outlast a new one generally. Is your car " a keeper " or are you planning to sell on ? The answer to that question is going to sway your decision.
Bob