Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
TomP
MMOC Member: No

Minor Hairsteam II

Post by TomP »

Hi everyone thanks for the add.
I have tried to find a post relating to a family of 5 travelling around the UK in a converted (possibly a Traveller). The Chick family visited North Devon in "Mo" last October having left Hull in February or there abouts, up the East Coast, cross the North of Scotland and down the West Coast. Mo must be here somewhere but just in case, here she is.
thumbnail_20191020_150102.jpg
thumbnail_20191020_150102.jpg (282.53 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
Currently the Chick family are in Essex/Norfolk. FB page Round The UK on a Tenner a Day.

So why am I here, after giving Mo a good look over it got the grey matter working on how could I upgrade what they had built, Dave Chick is a carpenter and I am a retired Mould Toolmaker + a skilled sheet metal wheeler, built my own English Wheel after being made redundant in 2013. This is what I have in mind, the footprint of the conversion would be 3050 x 2100 mm (10' x 7') Your input would be appreciated as you have the knowledge on drivetrain brakes etc.
basic4.jpg
basic4.jpg (279.58 KiB) Viewed 3077 times
At the moment I have nothing other than the idea, I am not opposed to negative response as long as it is constructive. Thanks
Tom Poulter out of Guildford now in Devon
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Minor Hairsteam II

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
It's all down to personal taste really.
Your mock up with the caravan looks okay, the only thing that stands out that I would change is the wheels on the caravan section.
Having seen various alloys on Moggies I have come to the conclusion that, as far as wheels are concerned, personally I prefer the standard look.
That said, for a motorhome (Minorhome? Morrishome? :P ) type conversion like you are aiming for, I think I would look out some wider van wheels, as they keep the standard (period) look but would give you more grip.
I believe ESM sell them, though there must be other sources as well.
Good luck with it, let us see some pictures of the project, as it progresses.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

This would be an interesting project, I have fancied doing something like it myself since seeing Mo. There are clips about Mo on utube.

First question would be which base to use. Mo is on a traveller shell, replacing the wood and aluminium rear body which sits on a monocoque. Others have used the Minor van or pickup which have a traditional chassis but a rather small cab. Your picture suggests a longer than standard wheelbase. Are you planning to extend the floor or chassis?

One concern I have is the degree of rear overhang. Too much weight behind the rear axle will give peculiar handling especially in crosswinds. I think there may be legal restrictions also.

I like the curvature of the panels, if you have the skills to produce these you should be able to come up with a very professional looking camper. Mine would necessarily have more flat sections.

As to technical upgrades there are plenty of Minors with larger engines, five speed gearboxes, servo disc brakes and improved suspension. There are many threads discussing this on here.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

have a good read of the dvla site re modified vehicles unless you manage to qualify with the 8 points to keep original reg, becomes a bit of a minefield for registration good luck
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

It may be better to use a van or pickup as they are built on a chassis.
simmitc

Post by simmitc »

I like the concept. I would derfinitely extend the wheelbase and reduce the overhang. A van or pickup chassis would offer a better structure than the Traveller. Given the amount of work already envisaged, the ideal would be to extend the cab section to take Traveller doors, giving more space for entry/exit and driver seating. I think that you shoulkd also avoid the gap between the cab roof and the van front overhang - a real wind and dirt trap. As others have said, wider van wheels would be good, and the weight would require improved braking and engine power, but those are simple compared with the body work required. If you can build it, then it would make a stunning vehicle at any rally. I hope that we will see the finished vehicle in due course.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

I don’t know how it would drive but to overcome the excessive overhang, moving the rear axle forward and adding another further back might be feasible. I personally think the two parts, Minor front and more futuristic rear are at odds with each other. However your project and wish you good luck.

TomP

Post by TomP »

Blown away by the comments received todate, jagnut66 hadn't given it a thought about the wheels but please be assured they will be stock pattern but wider.
basic7.jpg
basic7.jpg (287.2 KiB) Viewed 2901 times
jagnut66 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:36 pm Hi,
It's all down to personal taste really.
Your mock up with the caravan looks okay,
That said, for a motorhome (Minorhome? Morrishome? :P ) type conversion like you are aiming for, I think I would look out some wider van wheels, as they keep the standard (period) look but would give you more grip.
I believe ESM sell them, though there must be other sources as well.
Good luck with it, let us see some pictures of the project, as it progresses.
Best wishes,
Mike.
Thanks ianmack for the points you have highlighted, my initial thoughts are to use a traveller as the donor purley because I feel the Pickups and Vans are too valuable to destroy. You will now see that I have moved the rear axle back giving a wheel base of 3050 mm opposed to 2138 mm as standard which also overcomes the overhang problem, the cab is also extended by 150 mm behind the 'B' pillar to give extra leg room.

The new chassis will be attached at the cross member behind the seats and reinforced at the same time, the main chassis will extend to the rear of the camper with the rear axle and suspension being attached to it.
ianmack wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:07 am This would be an interesting project, I have fancied doing something like it myself since seeing Mo. There are clips about Mo on utube.

First question would be which base to use. Mo is on a traveller shell, replacing the wood and aluminium rear body which sits on a monocoque. Others have used the Minor van or pickup which have a traditional chassis but a rather small cab. Your picture suggests a longer than standard wheelbase. Are you planning to extend the floor or chassis?

One concern I have is the degree of rear overhang. Too much weight behind the rear axle will give peculiar handling especially in crosswinds. I think there may be legal restrictions also.
Thank for the heads-up on the latest from dvla 8 points will have to decipher what constitutes 1 point.
kennatt wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:31 am have a good read of the dvla site re modified vehicles unless you manage to qualify with the 8 points to keep original reg, becomes a bit of a minefield for registration good luck
simmitc Very reassuring that in principle you feel the concept is good, as you can see from my latest 'Paint' construction the overhang has gone, for the time being I will leave the Luton as is, what I don't want to do is to loose the distinct lines of the Morris 1000.
simmitc wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:16 am I like the concept. I would derfinitely extend the wheelbase and reduce the overhang. A van or pickup chassis would offer a better structure than the Traveller. Given the amount of work already envisaged, the ideal would be to extend the cab section to take Traveller doors, giving more space for entry/exit and driver seating. I think that you shoulkd also avoid the gap between the cab roof and the van front overhang - a real wind and dirt trap. As others have said, wider van wheels would be good, and the weight would require improved braking and engine power, but those are simple compared with the body work required. If you can build it, then it would make a stunning vehicle at any rally. I hope that we will see the finished vehicle in due course.
les I think you are suggesting a tandem axle arrangement, problem with that is becoming 'beached' Unless someone comes up with a way for driving both diffs but my door is always open. Airstream style of caravans has been around since 1935, thanks for your kind words.
les wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:39 pm I don’t know how it would drive but to overcome the excessive overhang, moving the rear axle forward and adding another further back might be feasible. I personally think the two parts, Minor front and more futuristic rear are at odds with each other. However your project and wish you good luck.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

That now needs a sturdy chassis, which would not match the minor front end construction.

Personally I would decline a ride in a ‘stretched limo’ purely on safety grounds. Further, the extra weight and length would need a better power train than that in a standard Minor. Pulling out across a busy main road might be a tad dangerous, otherwis.

So little left that perhaps you might as well start with a long wheel-base Merc sprinter and dress it up in minor panels for the front end.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Extending a chassis or a traveller floor isn’t technically difficult providing you have good welds and accurate alignment. Longer fuel and brake pipes are no problem and there are firms who extend and balance propshafts. I’ve not seen a Morris extended by a metre, more likely its 15 or 30 cms. When I commented on the overhang in your first picture I was thinking of a shorter body rather than a longer chassis. As Oliver 90 says you risk excessive bulk and weight for Minor underpinnings and I think the proportions of Mo are probably approaching the limits for a Minor based camper. I believe there are several extended pickups and I don’t know how their handling is affected.

As to the legality of a ‘modified chassis’ would a short extension be a problem? If the vehicle is already registered as a van or estate would there be any need to involve dvla at all? Are there any enforcement procedures? It would be interesting to know if anyone has experience of problems with the authorities.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Not going to tell your insurer either?
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

I think you’d need to tell your insurers even if you fitted a camper back to an unmodified chassis or traveller monocoque, their requirements seem to be different. Perhaps owners of campers or long pickups could let us know how they get on.
oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

The post was that no insurer will provide cover unless it has a road-worthiness certificate from the powers-that-be, if it has been extended in any way - let alone by that much.
TomP

Post by TomP »

oliver90owner wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:02 pm
ianmack wrote: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:05 pm
Thank you both for your constructive comments, legalities definitely need to be be questioned and answered before any work is carried out on this project along side drivetrain and suspension upgrades. We are in the concept stage of turning a recognised caravan design into a camper van.
Keep the comments coming. Thank you.
ianmack
Minor Addict

Post by ianmack »

Have a look at these. The possibilities are endless.

https://youtu.be/zYXQRG5iT4M
TomP

Post by TomP »

ianmack wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:30 am Have a look at these. The possibilities are endless.
You can say that again Ian, recently I have searched through the gov.uk site and I am now thinking this could turn into a nightmare. Here is a list of things I feel should be changed to make the conversion worthwhile
  • Upgrade where possible to MGB drivetrain and running gear.
    Change to power steering
    Increase the wheelbase by 1162 mm.
    Increase the rear track.
    Design and construct extended chassis
While going over other ideas to fulfill the objective I stumbled across this.
AS Side1.jpg
AS Side1.jpg (342.06 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
3970 mm x 1830 mm (13' x 6')

Will now spend time browsing the forum for previous upgrades. Thanks