Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
madbrendon
MMOC Member: No

Master Brake Cylinder Fixing Bolt Size

Post by madbrendon »

Hey all,

I have just purchased myself my very first Morris Minor (1952, two door), and this is also my first attempt at restoring a car. It is in reasonable condition, but very rough around the edges.

It was missing a master brake cylinder, and I have acquired a replacement brake master cylinder, but I do not have the bolts to fix it in place. Does anyone know the size of these bolts? I am hoping to find something locally that will fit. I live in New Zealand so purchasing replacement parts from U.K etc take a long time to get here, and I am really wanting to get it up and driving as soon as possible.

I have read about the mission it is to get the bolts off with the torsion bar, I am planning to put the bolt through the other way, but want to be careful not to hit the torsion bar. Will the bolt fit the other way?

I believe this is what I need:
https://www.morrisminor.org.uk/parts/11 ... r-cylinder

Does anyone know the size of this bolt?

Thanks for your help!
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Master Brake Cylinder Fixing Bolt Size

Post by philthehill »

The bolt shown in your link is the correct bolt.

The size of the factory original bolt required is 3/8" with a BSF thread.

The factory original bolt has a reduced thickness head to provide adequate clearance for the torsion bar.

This clearance is required as the torsion bar does not only twist it also bows as it flexes.

King Kenny
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Master Brake Cylinder Fixing Bolt Size

Post by King Kenny »

Hi. Buy your bolts and grind down the heads to give clearance to the torsion bar and fit them the right way around. It is easy to bend the bars for future removal. I just use a crowbar resting on a piece of wood to spread the load and force the bar down to give me clearance. To make it easier I have taken one of the flats off.
474-gtp_hex_steel.jpg
474-gtp_hex_steel.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 879 times
All the braking force is front to back so there is no need to overtighten the bolts against the cassis leg.
1969 Traveller in Almond green. Owned since 1979.