Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Exhaust Baffles

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hello peeps. For almost a year I have had a rattly exhaust as baffles have come loose in the silencer. The workshop manual refers to fixing this issue by welding. But I can't weld and don't even have a welder. However, I have heard of people fixing this with self-tapping screws. Has anyone here done this successfully - and if so, can they explain exactly how to do it (where the screws go, what size etc.)? Although I can sort of live with the noise it would be better if I could quieten it.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Re: Exhaust Baffles

Post by philthehill »

The problem you have is that the loose baffles could be anywhere in the silencer. Not all after market silencers are manufactured to original BMC spec.
To be honest I would either put up with the rattle or fit a new silencer. You do not have to buy a complete system just a suitable silencer.

myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Oh dear...I think the overrun trumpet is so loud, it blew the silencer internals apart!
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I think this is what you are looking for:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR ... Sw8OteJx3g
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thanks Mike. It looks the biz - but I wonder why it says '62 - 71' when I thought all exhausts for saloons/travs were the same from the 803 onwards?
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

I think they are all the same for the 'A' series engines on Minors too (from the 803cc engines on, as you stated), so maybe its just the supplier doesn't know......
Post up on here if you get it to let us know.
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Many moons ago before I had a stainless system I had trouble with loose baffles and got round the problem, till the silencer packed up, by gently squeezing it with a large 'G' clamp!
It worked!

Alan
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Hmm OK Alan - where did you put on the squeeze? Top to bottom, or on the sides? And all the way along the silencer, or just at each end, or in the middle?
alanworland
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by alanworland »

Clamp was positioned with jaws (feet?) above and below casing and by giving a gentle squeeze the baffle positions could be established.
I then slightly deformed the case either side of each.
Worked!

Alan
myoldjalopy
Minor Legend

Post by myoldjalopy »

Thanks Alan - I might give that a go.....at some point.......but I'm not grovelling around underneath the car until the weather warms up!