Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
oliver90owner
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Magneto spanners

Post by oliver90owner »

Anyone know what the numbers mean on Terry’s magneto spanner sets, please? Just for interest as I don’t use them often (but they are useful when needed!).
philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Magneto spanners

Post by philthehill »

For those not old enough to know what a set of magneto spanners are here is a set on 'e' bay for sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-OF-MAGNE ... Swv-5egKnM

https://baroldstools.blogspot.com/2012/ ... nners.html

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/terrys.htm

I am certain that you will find that the numbers are just that indicating the spanner number and not size. See comment in the links.

As an aside - Lucas did manufacture a self contained magneto that could be fitted to the Minor 'A' Series engine.

Here is one that was recently for sale on 'e' bay:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lucas-4VRA-M ... 7675.l2557

oliver90owner
Minor Legend

Post by oliver90owner »

Thanks for the reply, Phil.

I didn't put up a pic because ‘if they weren’t old enough to remember ’em, they wouldn’t be able to answer my question‘. Subject came up on another forum and piqued my interest.
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

philthehill wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:17 am
As an aside - Lucas did manufacture a self contained magneto that could be fitted to the Minor 'A' Series engine.
I never knew that did that. I always associate Magnetos with old pre-war bikes and cars, or piston engine aircraft that required a 'prop swing' to start. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Also fitted to the Godiva lightweight (I can assure you having handled quite a few when I worked for REME it was no lightweight and took 4 men to carry) fire pump engine which was based on the single overhead Coventry Climax engine which metamorphized into the Hillman imp engine.

Lots of post 2nd WW performance engines used magnetos - electronic ignition had yet to be invented and the magneto was reliable and gave a performance spark.

Myrtles Man
Minor Legend

Post by Myrtles Man »

philthehill wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:53 pm the single overhead Coventry Climax engine which metamorphized into the Hillman imp engine.
And, previously, the Lotus Elite engine I believe
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

The Lotus Elite was fitted with the 1.2L Coventry Climax SOHC straight 4 cylinder engine from new.

The Coventry Climax engine was a popular aftermarket conversion to many small sports car marques.
Jack Brabham offered a Coventry Climax conversion for the MG Midget/Sprite which produced 83bhp @6400rpm at a cost of £360.

smithskids
Minor Addict

Post by smithskids »

In 1972 I bought 70 fire pump engines from a scrap man near Doncaster. They were series E type engines, brand new in crates ex army with a bronze fire pump engine attached. He was scrapping the engines and keeping the fire pumps. The first batch I collected were just the bare engine, but in the end the last few had BTH magnetos on them, they worked well but you had to fit an earth button on to stop the engine, or wait until it ran out of fuel with the ignition switched off!! I still have 2 left beautifully built with ball bearings in instead of brass bushes. I still run one on the Morris 8 now and again.
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

smithskids
Thats interesting as there was a Lucas magneto for sale on 'e' bay recently that had been removed from a Morris 8 engine which had been converted for marine use.
I suspect that the spark generating windings had a fault as the seller was using a separate coil and the magneto appears to have been used only for spark distribution.

Phil

johngrigg
Minor Friendly

Post by johngrigg »

Some years ago there was a Minor for sale in Melbourne Australia which had been fitted in period with a Climax engine and MG TC gearbox. I last saw it on a hoist at the Morris Minor Company. From memory there were some axle tramp issue's....
philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

viewtopic.php?t=31487

Additionally - I have sent an 'e' mail to the address listed by Eric/Chester Mckaige in the link above asking for additional information and photos if possible.

Any feed back gained I will post on here.

Phil

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Post by philthehill »

Quick update.

I have had a 'e' mail reply from Chester Mckaige which includes photos of the Coventry Climax conversion fitted to the Minor and information about the car.

I will post the reply and photos on here in due course but under a different thread.

Phil