Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Stoneporch
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Cellulose paint

Post by Stoneporch »

Advice please.
Do I need to use a respirator when brush-painting cellulose without thinners?
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Cellulose paint

Post by les »

I think you need to satisfy yourself on that one, you might like to consider how strong the smell is, whether you paint outside for ventilation or indeed how much you are doing. Nothing wrong with wearing a mask but you can go overboard sometimes. However the question suggests you’d be happier wearing one.

Stoneporch
Minor Friendly

Post by Stoneporch »

Thanks Les. Well spotted. Better safe than sorry! I just hate having misted-up glasses.
ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Ventilation will be more important than mask wearing I would say. The fumes can build up quite a bit if you're doing it for long.
Frankly, cellulose isn't the best material for brush painting as it dries a bit quickly. You used to be able to obtain "brushing thinners" which allowed the paint to flow a bit better. I doubt you'll be very successful painting it without thinners as cellulose paint is rather thick straight out of the tin.
Last edited by ManyMinors on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

It used to be called Brushing Belco.

ManyMinors
Minor Legend

Post by ManyMinors »

Yes, Belco was one manufacturer of it.
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

celly thinners contains styrene, thats the nasty bit,but only if breathed in,brush painting will produce very small quantity ,if any ,into the air,so don't worry too much . Spraying produces massive amounts into the air so a mask is essential then.You will find very poor results with brushed celly,even if you use the slowest thinner you can get. be better using rattle cans.Unless there is a reason for brushing.There will be a lot of issues without thinners,the paint will go on too thick and sag,and be hard if not impossble to get rid of the brush marks . Will also take forever to harden at this time of the year.
paul 300358
Minor Fan

Post by paul 300358 »

Nip to your local auto paint supplier and buy a litre of brush paint. Its the right stuff for the job, will give a better finish and only cost about £15. Its also handy to have for touching up stone chips. I always use cheap brushes and throw them away after.
Stoneporch
Minor Friendly

Post by Stoneporch »

Thanks all for those considered responses. I started my painting this morning, without a mask at first but soon had to put on a mask and open the door. Fortunately I was only dealing with a small area and the operation has now been successfully completed (and the headache didn't last for long). Lesson learned!