Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
DCMVan70
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: Yes

Van bulkhead/separator/tool storage

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi All

Under mild braking in the van I was hit in the back by a bag of compost sliding forwards - it was better than the bag of manure and fence posts the week before!

I have decided I need to put something behind the seats to prevent loads from flying forwards under braking, and I am looking for ideas.
What have other people put in their van's - any photos, or diagrams, how do you secure? Also, does anyone have load hooks screwed to the floor, any recommendations of what type?

Much appreciated
David
geoberni
Minor Legend

Re: Van bulkhead/separator/tool storage

Post by geoberni »

I thought the likes of Post Office/BT vans all had a Steel Mesh across the back.
See this link to a SII Post Office van. http://www.simoncars.co.uk/morriscv/sli ... window.jpg
I suppose it would be down to individual customers back in the day. You certainly see a lot without anything, which isn't safe as you've found out. :wink:
Basil the 1955 series II

DCMVan70
Minor Friendly

Post by DCMVan70 »

Hi geoberni

Mine is not ex GPO, I think it was a water company's originally. Great picture of the opening window!
I did find this in the part book, but it looks a bit hard to fabricate all of that, and I was wondering if other folks had done different things, maybe a little simpler?
2020-12-10 11_02_18-Clipboard.png
2020-12-10 11_02_18-Clipboard.png (361.16 KiB) Viewed 1782 times
Regards
David
geoberni
Minor Legend

Post by geoberni »

Looking at those, the Morris options were a single guard behind the driver, presumably for vans intended to be 'single crewed' only, or the full width screen.
I think a suitable frame could be easily constructed from a sheet of 18mm ply and fitted with galvanised mesh such as this:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Galvanised-W ... Sw7I5Tu7B5
Suitably painted, you wouldn't know it was a ply frame rather than fancy curved wood, which would take steaming and bending etc.
Basil the 1955 series II