Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
pjh56
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: younger members thread.

Post by pjh56 »

MColes wrote:
You cannot make the car something it isn't- like trying to teach your dad to breakdance!
I couldn't disagree more! The car, the same as anything else you do in life, is what you make it. You can trundle around town in it like Miss Daisy or go for a cruise down to the coast with your mates. It's whatever you want it to be.
Sometimes I like driving like Miss daisy and i'm a fella of 53 and i've been known to push the foot to the floor round the M25 in my minor :lol: Diversity is what keeps things alive, I think it's great that your putting this thing together, as we get older we are to quick to compartmentalise things in all walks of life. There's nothing wrong with an older person having a great time in what ever capacity. As the old saying goes" your only as young as you feel".

Enjoy enjoy and and make this project great :D

My 1970 2 door saloon Trafalgar Blue
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Sometimes I like driving like Miss daisy and i'm a fella of 53 and i've been known to push the foot to the floor round the M25 in my minor
I'm 20 and it all depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I like to pootle around town and country lanes but sometimes it's great to take the car for a blast down the motorway :D
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

MColes wrote:
Sometimes I like driving like Miss daisy and i'm a fella of 53 and i've been known to push the foot to the floor round the M25 in my minor
I'm 20 and it all depends on the mood I'm in. Sometimes I like to pootle around town and country lanes but sometimes it's great to take the car for a blast down the motorway :D
same with me and I'm 44.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

chickenjohn wrote:Thanks Wibble, so the above poster was saying the Minor is dull???
Ha ha ha I doubt it, why would he have one and be keen to make ownership of them attractive to a wider audience? Nah I was saying that to me personally the film has always looked a bit dull, as an explanation for why I couldn't tell you more about it other than that it's a film :D I think it's one of those gentle films which become classics. For all I know it's got a pigging great fist fight and a high speed chase sequence in it. And aliens.

Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

wibble_puppy wrote:Incidentally I'm not at all nice. And my Minor is such a ridiculous colour I don't think a district nurse would be seen dead in it, in fact I shall go in search of one tomorrow and prove myself right 8)
Well, I'm not a district nurse... but I'm a nurse. And I'd be seen very much alive in your minor - it's gorgeous.

Sorry, back to the main topic :)
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Pyoor_Kate wrote:
wibble_puppy wrote:Well, I'm not a district nurse... but I'm a nurse. And I'd be seen very much alive in your minor - it's gorgeous.
Cheers! :D

It's a bit of a head-turner, and one of the things I particularly like about it is that it seems to have a special appeal for young people. I enjoy driving it along the streets at school-turning-out time and watching the faces light up and the pointing and the thumbs-up signs, and thinking, "That's a few more who want Morris Minors when they grow up" 8)

[how's that for getting a thread back on track :D ]

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Was hoping you'd bring the van to the National this year so I could see it "in the paint" so to speak! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

MColes wrote:

i prefer to pootle down the motorway and blast down country lanes
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

UPDATE

I have been in contact with Rosie Hamilton requesting that a young owner's group of some sort be formed and explaining to her what we wish to achieve (basically what has been said in this thread). We agreed that as we could not meet up regularly due to the fact we are located all over the country a 'Young Owner's Register' would be better than a branch.

I asked her if I could inform everyone what she had to say and she agreed...
This is really encouraging and I am sorry I didn't have time to visit you on Branch Avenue.

"The Young Owners Register", sounds good doesn't it ? I will forward your email to the other members of the national committee and have your ideas placed on the agenda for the next committee meeting (Sept 25th).

In the meantime, perhaps you could start a list of any who have expressed an interest together with details of their age (we'd have to decide at what point you cease to be a 'Young Owner' !!!!) and of their car - I should imagine you could have quite a variation of Minor models and modifications. It would also be useful to know if they are insured with Footman James and in their own names or on parents policy?
I suggested that after reading the results from the recent questionnaire, I thought that considering 80% of owners were over 41, anyone under the age of 30 would be considered as a young owner. This would obviously have to be carefully agreed by the committee as not to upset anyone.

Rosie then replied:
If they wish to register (sorry about the pun!) an interest then do encourage them and we may have a good list of interested parties to take to the committee for approval.
Personally I think that an age limit of 30 is a good idea, those over 25 will have 'enjoyed' a reduction in insurance premium and will be able to verify 'it does work!'. But as you say this will have to be agreed.
I am quite confident that a Register will go ahead so suggest you try and keep Saturday 23rd October free so that you are able to come to the pre AGM and AGM meetings at Bretby Conference Centre, near Burton on Trent when we may launch the Register.
So anyone that would like to get involved please let me know. When I have had a good think about what information to collect to submit to the committee (suggestions welcome) I will contact you asking for details.For the moment I just need names.

I'm still a bit shocked this is actually being taken serious as we have tried before but we have never got this far. Lets get the 'young owner's register' up and running but to do this I need backing from people in order to put a serious case across to the committee :D :D :D
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Good for you, Matt! :D It's great to hear that Rosie sounds encouraging about the idea.

I'm scratching my head over what this has to do with Footman James.

MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

I think as the club has an agreement with Footman James for insurance for under 25s they would be interested to know how many young club members take advantage of this agreement.
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

If it gets the go ahead, can 'young at heart' older members join in with any events you organise? :D
Bill Hewlett

Oxon & Berks Branch Chairman - MOT-UK Organiser (see http://www.blurb.com/books/1518384 and http://www.blurb.com/books/2422813)
Oxon & Berks Website: http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Of course, like I said without the knowledge and experience of older/young at heart members us younger members will not be able to keep our cars on the road. We need to chat to you so you can pass your skills on, so in turn we can pass them on.
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Judge
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Judge »

You've got my vote Matt :wink:
Bill Hewlett

Oxon & Berks Branch Chairman - MOT-UK Organiser (see http://www.blurb.com/books/1518384 and http://www.blurb.com/books/2422813)
Oxon & Berks Website: http://www.bucksinfo.net/mogbox/
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Thanks Bill :D

As I've said about 50 times now in this thread, it's not about segregating the club into young and old it's just to unite the younger people as there aren't so many of us, just like the MM registry unites the small group of MM owners. Hope that makes sense :roll: :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

new_adventures_of_arthur
Minor Fan

Post by new_adventures_of_arthur »

I think the idea for doing things a little different and modern is excellent, and the diversity of additional groups and events would be a healthy thing for the club - but I dont think it should be called "the young owners register".

I think the name excludes older members who are interested in doing things differently, and I think some younger members actually enjoy the standard events organised by the club.

I think it should be called something that truly embodies what the new register is aiming to achieve (or at least what I understand it to be aiming for). Something a little more modern and ...erm...a little faster paced? Festivals, bands, and racing, aren't just for the "young" ones. I actually find the term "young members register" a little condescending, and being called a "register" just feels like its being tarred with the boring brush.

Some initial thoughts - just thinking aloud. I dont like some of these, but just to get the ball rolling...

"The Minor Massive"
"Minor Verve"
"Minor Revival"
"Minor Mods"
"Minor Turbo"
"Powermog"
"Supermog" (a bit tongue in cheek)

Ok, so I'm not exactly keen on these suggestions either, but you get the idea. :lol: I'm not saying these are great, just trying to show what I'm getting at. Something that represents the new/livelier approach of the group. "The young Persons Register" just sounds boring and undermines what its trying to achieve (in my opinon at least).

Any ideas? And maybe avoid any "trendy" spellings like "Rejuvin8" instead of "Rejuvinate" etc. This sort of behaviour is like Richard Madely dressing up as Ali G. :lol:

Anyway, putting myself at the mercy of everyone's thoughts :lol: ....
Have now joined the 'cool kids' at [url]http://www.morrisminorowners.co.uk[/url] :wink:
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

Well I can only encourage people to make suggestions for names and anything else that they would like the young owners group (that's what I'm calling if for now) to do. These ideas will then have to be put to the vote.

I'm sure all younger members would appretiate input from all members, regardless of age, as to what we should be doing. you're older, in theory you should be wiser :lol: :lol: :lol:.
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

I have put a post in the members area asking for people's details, Please can you take the time to answer the questions and PM them to me.

I can't put the questions here as they will keep falling to the bottom of the thread and will not be answered.
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Great news - you know you all have my support (don't know about Vikki's - she's still sulking about the National Rally lol)!

A member of the "Youngish At Heart Registry" :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
marcusthemoose
Minor Fan

Post by marcusthemoose »

i personally think that "young owners register" is fine and does exactly what it says on the tin. the agebound of up to 30 sound reasonable considering the age of most minor owners- i think advice and thoughts should go both ways- but the idea of the "young at heart" who are outside the age limit is not an idea i am a fan of. of course older members are welcome to comment and talk about what is going on in the register, but i think that the idea of these people joining is a step to far. you wouldn't expect someone with just an Austin lcv to join the series MM branch would you? i hope you can understand where i am coming from.

it is encouraging to see the idea is actually being considered by the commitee, though its a shame the next meeting isn't sooner! :)

i think we shall continue currently with this thread, that is unless the mods want to add us a forum/branch topic on the main message board here (hint hint!) just to see how it goes? if this threa isanything to go by, i may prove reasonably popular.

all for now, marcus