If you want to give it away, do it here

Moderator: Moderators

philthehill
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

948cc engine parts

Postby philthehill » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:29 pm

Advance notification...…………

I will be stripping two 948cc engines in the next few weeks once the weather warms up and will have the following 948cc engine parts available for free.

948cc piston & rods plus 0.020" - condition unknown but the engine bores are good and the engine turns over.

948cc pistons and rods - size/condition unknown (head still in place) but engine has been reconditioned at some time. Engine turns over.

948cc head complete with valves and springs.

Pressed steel rocker gear and push rods condition unknown.

948cc flywheel. Ring gear needs replacing.

Timing gears...…..condition unknown as not yet stripped out - but will come with a new simplex timing chain.

There may be other parts available dependent upon their condition.

Collection or arrange your own courier

PM me if interested.

Phil

olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Re: 948cc engine parts

Postby olderisbetter » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:53 pm

Are you stripping them to build a 948cc engine with a bit more go? Or are these just engines to use for bits you have.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:28 pm

The better of the two 948cc engines will be re-built as a tuned 998cc with all the acquired and surplus tuning parts I have.
The original Minor 948cc engine fitted to my Minor was eventually converted to 998cc and well tuned, it also went very well. I am intending to replicate that 998cc engine with a few additional parts included.
That 998cc engine ended up in a competition Sebring Sprite after I fitted the 1400cc Midget engine into the Minor.
Do not expect the conversion to be done quickly because with all the other things I do it is being done in slow time.

Phil

olderisbetter
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Postby olderisbetter » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:26 pm

That all sounds nice Phil and the 998cc must make decent bhp i bet, Slowly doing a project can often be better as it allows thinking time and the time to find parts, Well that's my excuse for taking ages to do anything and i look forward to reading about this engine if you put it in the forums.

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:56 am

The 948cc (2A629) head has been removed if anyone wants it.

The rocker gear was worn and not worth keeping.

Phil

philthehill
Minor Maniac

Postby philthehill » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:22 am

I have now decided which block I am going to rebuild from 948cc to 998cc.

That means I have a 948cc block with 0.020" oversize re-bore complete with pistons and rods available for free.

No: 1, 2 & 3 bores do not have any finger nail stopping wear. No: 4 bore has the slightest of wear ridge at its top which I would suggest would easily hone out.

Collection only.

PM if interested.

The block I have decided to use has been filled with diluted Citric Acid for the last week. This morning I removed the water pump which had a very rusty pressed steel impeller when fitted and was being used as the level of rust removal indicator. The water pump impeller was rust free and the water gallery was like new.
The Citric Acid (food grade) has done a very good job and I can recommend its use in de-rusting the block and other items.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITRIC-ACID- ... rkP_VvrDqA