Throttle return spring

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
stephen
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by stephen »

Recently driving Jemima through the Ashdown Forest, the throttle return spring snapped at the end and Jemima had a coniption. Revving out of control. Quite a suprise for me.

I managed to jerry rig the spring enough to get home, but I can't work out where the end of the spring is supposed to go. One end attaches to the carburretor, I've attached the other temporarily to the end of the exhaust manifold.. where is it supposed to go?
newagetraveller
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by newagetraveller »

The clamp that holds the exhaust pipe to the exhaust manifold is held on by two bolts (and two nuts!). Usually one of the bolts is also used to hold one end of a steel bracket about three inches long and half an inch wide. The other end of the bracket has a small hole in it where the spring goes.
The above is true for the later 1960's vehicles. If you have something very old or unusual it may be somewhere slightly different.
Having said all this, where you have attached the spring now seems quite satisfactory as long as you are sure that it won't come off.
[ This Message was edited by: newagetraveller on 03-05-2002 18:57 ]
stephen
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Post by stephen »

thanks for that.

It sounds like I had it pretty much right. I was just concerned about the effect of the heat from the exhaust.