Split screen fitting problems - more of them!

Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Split screen fitting problems - more of them!

Post by Phil-tq »

I know a lot has already been written on this subject, but need a bit of advice from someone who has done the job recently please.

Front screen first. Did it as per the manual, screens fitted to the rubber with an old cut-off centre pillar in place with an old rubber gasket as well to space it.

The screen went in ok, but I noticed that the outside edge of the rubber didn't extend far enough to totally hide the metal lip. The top edge also stood away from the lip and I presumed I would have to glue it. A pain, but I guess thats what you get with pattern parts.

I then removed the dummy centre pillar to fit a nice new one. The first thing I noticed was that the gap wasn't wide enough for the new gasket. When I compared old and new, the difference in width of the centre "block" that sits between the two screens was ridiculous. Ok, I know the original was imperial, but the old one is about 8.5mm and the new one closer to 11! The rubber also appears to be a firm foam on the old, whilst the new is solid rubber.

The new centre pillar has four studs which screw into it and for some reason they include nuts. The 2 rubber gaskets have 4 holes, but only big enough for the studs. They should be big enough for the female screws that are fitted from the inside. The holes were also slightly misplaced and not central so I wasted an afternoon filing them out.

So the screen is in and I hold the centre pillar in position. It wont fit! Basically the rubber comes too far down into the screen aperture and holds the ends of the new pillar away from the screen!

At this point I take the screen out again to try and work out what to do.

I already had problems with the rear screen. It fitted ok, but had the same problem with the outside edge not covering the lip enough. The inside was a disaster. Instead of the large inner lip pressing up against the headlining, it stood off it at the sides!

I complained to Charlie Wares (where I bought front & back rubbers). They checked their stock and they were all the same. I contacted ESM and they said they knew about the problem and the manufacturers were going to retool.

The suppliers are Baines of Tunbridge Wells. I phoned them and they say rears should be done within the next month.

So, coming back to the front screen, are my problems common? Are Wares known to supply iffy rubbers? Who should I go to?

And lastly the centre pillar gaskets. One is just a strip of rubber, the other has the spacer moulded into it. Does the spacer one go in from the inside or outside?

Thanks in advance for your input
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Hi,
Its a while since I've done one, but as far as I recall, the flat rubber goes against the chrome and the shaped one with the spacer goes in from behind with the flat strip and screws.
Unless someone knows different, Baines are the main makers (poss only) of window rubber and all the Minor suppliers will get their stock from them. Good news that they are going to retool and improve the product though.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly

Post by Phil-tq »

Thanks for that Iain, that does make sense. Unfortunately the old one that came off fell to bits and it was not possible to work out what went where.
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly

Post by Phil-tq »

Passing on a tip here - just spoke to a guy at Ware's and they use a silicone spray on the rubbers. This is one of those interior shine products for use on vinyl and plastic to make them look new. "Back to black" is one I know of which is for black plastic bumpers.
alanworland
Minor Legend

Post by alanworland »

Oh happy days!
My rubbers came from ESM and the rear went in like a dream only took about 1/2hr on my own, but the front - not good I found I could (needed) pull the screens apart to get the gap by using a couple of ratchet straps in the gap and around the door pillars (protected) and I also had to stick (silicone adhesive nuetral cure) the outer lip down as it stuck up like you describe, which didn't work 100%, so I ended sticking the chrome trim in at the same time. I 'bedded' the centre strip on silicone as it went together.
I sealed the whole lot in black silicone, doesn't look too bad now its all in.
Good Luck!
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Yes exactly the same problem with my new rubber It just dosent fit.as you say the outer lip will not fit tightly onto the frame and sticks out,So much so that you could easily push the glass back into the car from the corner. It dosent matter what you use as a lubricant tried just about everything the rubber is too thick and will not sit properly onto the frame ,very poor reproduction.What I did was to take an original glass to a local windscreen firm and I got them to cut me two new laminated glasses but half a mill smaller all round.These fitted better but I still had to stick the very top corners onto the frame.I've got the two glasses in the frame with the old centre,inner seal in place.I.m going to leave it like that for a couple of weeks before I disturb the centre,hope the glasses stay separated long enough to get the centre fixed in.Im tempted to permanently fix the whole lot rubber to frame and glasses to rubber with the bonding agent they use for modern screens.and just hope that I don't need it out again.It would be water tight and If I did need it out I could just cut it out and get a new rubber,they may have improved the rubber by then,so nothing lost.I would think that any movement in the frame would be taken up by the rubber so should'nt crack the glass. Also I now have laminated glass instead of the old toughend,so much safer now.
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly

Post by Phil-tq »

Update: screen has just gone back in again with a liberal spray off interior dash polish - great stuff and certainly makes everything slide easily.
The outer lip is probably 5mm too narrow and leaves the body lip exposed. It also stands off the metal at the top and will have to be glued down like everyone is describing.
Apparently some front rubbers came from Malaysia a while ago and were very good, slightly softer than the current ones which are made by Baines, but they are no longer available now.
Rumour has it that there is a problem with replacement glass. It's slightly thicker than the old stuff and so splays the channel a bit.
Spoke to a guy at Baines who was unaware there was a problem with these and quoted how many they had sold without complaint. Perhaps the various suppliers should give him a call and let him know how the rubbers could be improved
Phil-tq
Minor Friendly

Post by Phil-tq »

Thanks for the offer of help Alan, but I think I'll have to struggle like everyone else!

The centre spacer rubber being wider doesn't seem to make that much difference, the only problem seems to be the outer lip being too narrow.

I've spoken at length with the guys at Charlie Ware's and also ESM and all have been very helpful and offered advice. They also intend to badger the Baines rep when he next comes in and try and get the design altered.

Unfortunately Bull Motif were not quite so interested. May have been because I hadn't bought it from them (didn't buy it from ESM either) but their attitude was more "live with it". Bull Motif are obviously happy with anything that is sent them and are not interested in trying to help improve parts.

My screen is missing the trim which is a shame, the previous owner threw it away as it bent when he took the screen out! According to Baines they have sold about 300 screen rubbers in the last couple of years. Assuming that if when fitting the new rubbers, owners might have considered a new trim as well, had they been available, perhaps a manufacturer might consider doing a batch? Who does the later pattern?
lambretta_ash
Minor Friendly

Re: Split screen fitting problems - more of them!

Post by lambretta_ash »

hi its 2011 an guess what the rubber is still crap and fat and the lip is still 4-5mm short

so can i ask you what did u do to get it to fit and get the shorter lip on the frame to stick down

please help a young 21yr old get my beautiful moggie girl better thanks :cry: :cry:
treat it with care, treat it with love, as there old and rusty and need to be loved
by the way
im 21 and live in the birmingham area

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I think that everything that can be said about fitting split windscreens has been said. Read back through the postings including on the Series MM messageboard and the best of luck
[sig]3580[/sig]
lambretta_ash
Minor Friendly

Post by lambretta_ash »

ok thank but your luck and still got the chrome trim toforce lock it in as mine never had it poo lol so 6mm wire and black putty we go lol :D
treat it with care, treat it with love, as there old and rusty and need to be loved
by the way

PedroLobo

Post by PedroLobo »

Fellow Owners,

Sadly my chrome shop lost the crome finisher caps of my split screen. I having a hard time finding replacement, does anyone knowwhere to find or has a pair?

Best regards,
Pedro Lobo
http://picasaweb.google.com/pedroarroch ... directlink
lambretta_ash
Minor Friendly

Post by lambretta_ash »

PedroLobo wrote:Fellow Owners,

Sadly my chrome shop lost the crome finisher caps of my split screen. I having a hard time finding replacement, does anyone knowwhere to find or has a pair?
as far as im aware the finish caps are not remade so u will have to go to a scrap yard or ebay but if they lost your chrome finisher then your chromes would be paying u hundreds as there rocking horse MY FAVOURITE CAR IS A DATSUN CHERRY
by the way

joop koers

Post by joop koers »

Dear morris Friends
I have a Morris Minor pick-up from 1954.Splitscreen
I have this almost done, but I have problems with the windshield.
After I think I have the wrong rubber for the windshield.
I have the ext 101. for split screen.
The old rubber is not the same as the ext 101.
Who can help me? To the right rubber for morris.
Best regards
Joop Koers
Didam
Netherlands
joopkoers@hotmail.com