Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
R_Parr
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

BEEEEEP

Post by R_Parr »

That bloody horn!

I had to fit a new speedo cable yesterday and had to disconnect the steering column from the dash, all went well however today my problem is that when i try to connect the steering column the horn keeps beeping.

I don't really want to get an ASBO from some nosey neighbours, is it just that there is a loose connection? Do i have to take off the steering wheel and if so, how?

I'm 17, have no previous knowledge of mechanics, but i try!

Cheers,
Rhys
[sig]8601[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well something must be shorting out - don't see why you had the steering column disconnected to renew speedo cable - can usually do that from passenger side with glovebox removed - but anyway, all I can suggest meantime is that you take the wires off the horn until you discover where the short is. Maybe something has gone awry with the contacts under the push button ?
ImageImage
alex_holden
Minor Legend

Post by alex_holden »

You don't have to do anything with the steering column to change the speedo cable... :o

The wire that runs down the middle of the steering column may be damaged and shorting out.
ImageImage
Alex Holden - http://www.alexholden.net/
If it doesn't work, you're not hitting it with a big enough hammer.
R_Parr
Minor Friendly

Post by R_Parr »

I realised that after removing the speedo cable, bit of a numpty.

I removed the push button but thats fine, its where the indicator stalk goes into the box thing, beneath the steering wheel. Sparks come off a copper thing when it touches the metal, so its deffinately something to do with that.

Sorry about the lack of knowing what parts are called. I hope you lot know what a 'thing' is.
[sig]8601[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Does it still 'sound' with the push button removed ?
ImageImage
R_Parr
Minor Friendly

Post by R_Parr »

yes, when i move the 'box' where the indicator goes into it beeps.
[sig]8601[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - it's obviously not right - so you will need to take it apart and investigate properly! If you had just asked on here first - 'How do I renew the speedo cable' - all this hassle would have been avoided!
ImageImage
R_Parr
Minor Friendly

Post by R_Parr »

I did in a previous post - http://www.mmoc.org.uk/index.php?name=P ... highlight=

I took your advice bmcecosse, but must have misinterpreted it.
from either side through small hols in the glovebox liners
Either side, not both sides :oops:

Ah well, you learn from your mistakes.
[sig]8601[/sig]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well - I did mean BOTH sides of course - just my way of describing it! Sorry if it led you astray!
ImageImage
Luxobarge
Minor Fan

Post by Luxobarge »

OK, I know what this is, I had to drop the steering column a little to replace the driver's side glove box liner a couple of weeks ago, and I got EXACTLY the same problem - I managed to avoid the ASBO though.... :wink:

The problem is that the mechanism inside the indicator stalk nacelle, along with the steering column outer mounting tube it's attached to has slipped down the steering column a little.

Inside the indicator stalk nacelle (black cover thing) there is a copper tongue which is "live", and when earthed, it sounds the horn. This is now shorting against the main (inner) part of the steering column and giving your problem. It normally rests against a copper/brass slip ring that you will see at the top of the steering column just undernrath the steering wheel centre boss - this ring is only earthed when you push the horn button.

So fix it you need to slip a thin screwdriver or thin blade under the copper "tongue" to lift it up a bit, and then at the same time slide the whole assembly up the column a bit until you can release the tongue so that it's resting on the brass slip ring. The trouble is, while doing this the horm will be going off all the time, so I'd advise disconnecting the battery or the horn itself while you do this, to avoid the ASBO as it were.

Provided you end up with the copper tongue resting on the brass slip-ring at the top of the column you will have fixed the problem. Best to nip up the column mounting U-bolts quick though, as I found it was very keen to slip back down again and I'd have to start again!

Hope this helps/makes sense!

Cheers :D :D
overider
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by overider »

.You should join your local friendly mmoc. :lol: :lol: :lol: Cleckheaton rugby club.
Meet at eight on the last Wednesday of the month. Next meeting is party night Halloween fancy dress :lol: :lol: :lol:
HAVE IT! LOVE IT! DRIVE IT!
alainmoran
Minor Addict

Post by alainmoran »

luxo .. you took the words right out of my mouth :D
R_Parr
Minor Friendly

Post by R_Parr »

Cheers everyone, thanks for the advice Luxobarge - disconnected the battery and sorted it.

I play rugby against cleckheaton every so often overider, if I have any queries ill pop down sometime.
[sig]8601[/sig]
Luxobarge
Minor Fan

Post by Luxobarge »

R_Parr wrote:Cheers everyone, thanks for the advice Luxobarge - disconnected the battery and sorted it.
You're very welcome - glad you sorted it, well done, and thanks for letting us know the outcome!

Cheers :D
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Good for you, Rhys, you learn better by making mistakes than by getting it all right first time 8) Keep up the good work :)