Pick up Restoration (Part 1)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
toginthemog
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Post by toginthemog »

you could put some earth over it and put a cross on it R.I.P.
[sig]8906[/sig]
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by les »

and time 6 months
I did laugh. :D
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

well I've just finished my shift and returned to find some very helpful advice (well mostly) thank you all, now I've just got to find a way of making a full lift without distorting the bodywork, the chassis won't hold it intact and the sills are rotten with no structural strength.
Ive alloted five years for this project, at least Ive read in the Haynes that the whole body lifts off these comercials. Thanks again, I'll keep you all up to date on progress.<br>Image<br>
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

Delighted you're going to take this on and that you are realistic about costs and time. It will be worth it in the end. All the best with it.
]
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

There's something about this pickup which makes me suspect that it was in pretty good nick before it was abandoned. What does the odometer say the total mileage is?

It seems to me that keeping the doors closed as much as possible might help keep the door posts square, if the sills are gone.

Best of British to you, david, and keep taking loads of pics. It will be a long long road but worth it in the end! :D

wibble x 8)

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

well done david
a good move to restore it
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

I hope you find a way of doing this - I love it!! I've adjusted the picture slightly to give it a "retro look" :-)<br>Image<br>

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Yes I like that retro look Ani thanks, I've been to see it again today and cleared it off some more, managed to move the heavy steel beam that was pinning it down. Got ride of the asbestos sheets from the back and was able to get a look in there, this is what I saw! oh dear, still at least I'll be able to get a strop on that rear axle an pull her out.<br>Image<br>
motherofgod
Minor Fan

Post by motherofgod »

ohh :o thats a new chassis then!

James
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

I think you've invaded a wildlife habitat :lol: I wish you good luck and a good welder!

davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

well I figured on a new chassis from the start, so I can't pretend to be to shocked. my primary worry now is getting it recovered without bending anything. if I attach the strop from underneath onto that rear axle it shouldn't put any stress on the top of the tailgate panel. then pull slow and steady.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
toginthemog
Minor Fan

Post by toginthemog »

well done with your intention,s I think your like myself hell would freeze over before that rebuild beat me. good luck and lets see some piccy,s as you go
Last edited by toginthemog on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]8906[/sig]
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Thanks Ani, glad to say I didn't meet any of our furry friends, still just to be on the safe side I'll drop by a good pressure washpoint on the way home with if, if Ratty has managed to take a leak on it I don't want to end up getting viles disease. Hey, Ive just come up with a name for the moggy. Ratty.<br>Image<br>
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

I suppose you could start with "Tatty Ratty" and then he can emergy after a few years as "Ratty Reborn" Love the fact that the wing mirror is still hanging on :-)

Onne

Post by Onne »

Also note the still shiny head light rim.

New ones rust as soon as you touch them...
Onne van der S. MMOCno 60520 Moderator
2dr 1971 White DAF 55 (with hopefully a 1600cc engine soon)
2dr 1973 Bergina (DAF 44)
2dr Estate 1975 DAF 46 in red
2dr saloon 1972 DAF 44 in Mimosa
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

think you've invaded a wildlife habitat
Looks like it, hope there's no young down there; parents won't be back now.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

would rabbits chew the seats to pieces? no thats gotta be a rat hole. if the young are left to their fate I won't miss any sleep over it. Rats are the only animals that give me the creeps.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
ssnjimb
Minor Fan

Post by ssnjimb »

please keep us informed we would love a thread to start on the restoration :) Goodluck
I own a 1974 MG Midget 1275 in Teal Blue "Midget" is what we call him and he is in very good to excellant condition "midget" is a Chrome bumper/Round Wheel arch model.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

if the young are left to their fate I won't miss any sleep over it.
Maybe you won't, but a life is a life in my book, I don't differentiate. Anyway don't lets dwell on it, it's done now.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Wibble, sorry mate, just re read your question about mileage, heres a shot of the odometer, it looks like 81033.<br>Image<br>