Pick up Restoration (Part 1)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
davidmiles
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Post by davidmiles »

By the way can anyone tell me, if the owner can't come up with the original docs for the car will I be able to register it in its original registration/index number with the DVLC?
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

" f I attach the strop from underneath onto that rear axle it shouldn't put any stress on the top of the tailgate panel. then pull slow and steady " - Just be careful it doesn't rip the axle out - and leave the rest behind!
And yes - you should get a V5 for it without any problems.
ImageImage
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

thanks bmcecosse, does that mean they'll let me keep the original number? and while your'e here, I tried a good hard tug on that bonnet release handle and its stuck fast, any advice, I've not even seen the lump yet.
smile, you never know, you might be winning.[IMG]http://i67.tinypic.com/2ro3j37.jpg[/IMG]
stevespickup
Minor Friendly

Post by stevespickup »

In 1972, a crack commando morris minor pick was sent to the undergrowth by a careless owner for a crime it didnt commit. This morry was eventually released year later. Today, still wanted by the odd enthusiast, it could survive with lots of welding. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-Team.,
Yes .. BA Baracus always managed to find a welding set and could do amazing work in no time at all, Perhaps you can hire the A team
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

Fantastic Steve :)

Just out of interest whereabouts in Sussex are you?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

I think, in my deep deep ignorance, that in order to move the Beast I would slide planks under it from side to side in several places, and then fasten the ends of the planks to ropes/cables - in order to spread the load as much as possible. 8)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - unless the number has been 'transferred' to another car you should keep it. Or they will issue an 'age related' number. Don't go telling them about possible 'new chassis' etc in case they insist (they shouldn't) on giving it a Q number!
Bonnet release -pull harder - while some one wiggles/lifts the bonnet front edge.
ImageImage
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Thanks guys thats great advice, I'll try digging troughs behind the tyres to ease the movement as well. I'll also do some investigation with the dvlc and try to keep that original number. Have they got a website where you can look up your reg.
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

Yes - look in the useful tips area of the form 8)

moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

http://www.taxdisc.direct.gov.uk/EvlPor ... le+Enquiry

copy and paste this will give you information if your reg is still used or if not on there computers
i have just asked for a log book as i only had the old log book from the 60/70 and cost me 0
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

i have just asked for a log book as i only had the old log book from the 60/70 and cost me 0
true - I registered my 54 with only the antique green card logbook [and with the V765 approved by the club, based on the old log book and a few pictures - sorry for missing that first time!] If you have the old paperwork they have to waive the 'first registration' fee.

I took insurance doc and MOT at the same time and got the tax disk (free) on the spot - I had found the rules somewhere (not easy) and had to remind them that I didn't need to wait 3 days for it to be processed as I had the right documents (I was pretty sure of that as it was friday and I had a web rally to go to on Saturday!!)

However if you don't have the original logbook or a recent one, they will charge a first registration fee. I registered my 57 using a heritage certificate (from BMIHT, gaydon) and photos and a V765 form. The V765 must be approved by the owners club, but that is not a big problem as long as you give them enough details. The process is much more long winded if you don't have an old logbook (an old tax disk will help!) but compared to the resto job, the paperwork will be the quick part ;-)

As for this resto - I really recommend you get in touch with classic car mags! Certain mags have a 'rust in peace' section and it would be great press for the Minor for people to see this one saved.
Last edited by rayofleamington on Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
stevespickup
Minor Friendly

Post by stevespickup »

Yes I have just got a duplicate registration document as the last time I saw mine was 18 years ago when it was last taxed. Normally this is 25 pounds but I got mine free of charge, not sure why ? Hello Matt, I am from Ringwood in Hampshire not far from you on the edge of the forest.
mrsnak
Minor Fan

Post by mrsnak »

This would be an adventurous project. You'd never get back out of it what you put into it, but that's not always why we do these fool-hardy things :lol:

Here's an idea of before and after and costs for me here in the US:
Here's my '61 truck when I bought it. Had been sitting for years:

Paid USD$2000 for it.

First step was to get it running. Started up but carburetor needed work. Had it towed to a mechanic where I spent about $1500 to replace rear brakes, rebuild carb, repair rear axle, and get road worthy, etc. Dampers needed repair. Gas tank needed replacing. Bought new 59-67 VW Bus tank (cheap and fit right in). Since my truck has a 73 Datsun B210 engine and transmission, I also needed gauges that could work for it. Drove it home.

Then came bodywork & paint. $2000. Great deal considering that it had lots of surface rust. Dash heavily rusted on passenger side. Rear wheel wells rusted. Switched out this bonnet for a better one one for $25! (from my seller).
Not a a ground up restoration, just wanted to get rust off. Fortunate that floor pans and front wings, etc were good. Also, all the chrome was in excellent shape (and not missing). To save a bit, the paint I used was the kind they paint bumpers with. Extremely durable and chip resistant, much more than regular paint. I lucked out that it came out so well. They also removed many of the body pieces to fill sand & paint. Body shop broke even on this one, but I had to put it all back together. They taped the pieces on and I had a short drive home.
Bought all my new rubber and little bits from Bull Motif. Spent another $500 or so this.
Got truck together, now to fix more things! The Sprite front disk brakes were shot. Needed bearing, disks, pads, etc. Electrical was screwy. Grounds (earthing?) needed to be fixed. Leaf spring bushing shot. Spent another $1500 on a lot of little things. Had to replace rear wheels, get a couple tires. Taking it in today to get front end aligned. Rides fine but camber is way out.
Here it is today after all that. Bought the car in June 08, took until a month ago to get it to this:

WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

I LOVE that air filter!!!!! :D :D :D

mrsnak
Minor Fan

Post by mrsnak »

After I painted it yellow, I thought this was just what it needed!
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Recovery day, finally got it up and away with help from Keith (pictured) of Westbourne motors, we had to drag it out by its prop. the prop held and up she came.
<br>Image<br>
Last edited by davidmiles on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Its a strange feeling travelling behind the recovery lorry with your prize find on it, it always causes a stir on the road as passers by gawp. I couldn't help smiling as the bonnet bumped open like a mouth saying "ouch"with every bump in the road.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

at the washdown point at Westbourne motors. a pressure wash gets rid of all that rat urine,moss,farmyard mud and a little bit of rust I noticed.<br>Image<br>
davidmiles
Minor Legend

Post by davidmiles »

Notice the tyres now have air in them, all three, well, one innertube burst, but thats three more tyres inflated than I expected.
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

This is gonna be one hell of a story - I can't wait to see the prgress reports :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php