Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ani
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Will Metro Seats fit ok in the Pick-up?

Post by ani »

Before I go ahead and buy some can you advise me on this one. I understand they are ok for the saloon but want to be sure they would also be ok for the pickup.

Many thanks
Ani

Peetee
Minor Legend

Post by Peetee »

Should be OK but you will lose out on legroom and you'll need subframes to fit them to the floor.
Older and more confused than I could ever imagine possible.
ani
Minor Addict

Leg room!

Post by ani »

I'm 5'1" - I'd be happy to give up some leg room!! So long as the seat can be put back for a taller person :-) The main problem for me is that I'm so far away I can't get enough force on the brake pedal to stop the little b***** :-) Having said that with much kind help from aupickup I've got new shoes all around which has significantly improved it. i.e. I can now actually stop it :-)
Ani

Stig
Minor Addict

Re: Leg room!

Post by Stig »

ani wrote:I'm 5'1" - I'd be happy to give up some leg room!! So long as the seat can be put back for a taller person :-) The main problem for me is that I'm so far away I can't get enough force on the brake pedal to stop the little b***** :-) Having said that with much kind help from aupickup I've got new shoes all around which has significantly improved it. i.e. I can now actually stop it :-)
Ani
Platform soles?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :wink:
ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

I thought there would be one :roll: Maybe they were just built for "odd shaped" people :-) Seem to remember you're near Reading - I'll let you know when I'm out that way! On reflection I very much doubt that the Minor Pick-up was built or designed with girlies in mind :-) Back then they would have been chained to the kitchen sink :evil:

WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

I would personally say that Metro seats will be much to big (thick) to fit in a minor without the steering wheel being uncomfortably close! I have a 80's Mini seat in the pick up at the moment that is only slightly thicker than a Minor one but it still brings the wheel close and thats with a small wheel fitted!

ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

Thanks for that - not really sure what to do. One thing I do know is that I have to find a seat that slides further forward. Maybe I should hold out and find proper pick-up or van seats and find a way of modifying the drivers side. Maybe old mini seats would be better. Ah well - it will all get sorted in the end. :roll:

charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

I assume dennis checked that the seat is mounted as far forward as possible
WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

The drivers side seat should be adjustable to a certain extent and you can always check the the seat is secured in the front set of mounting holes as there are two sets :wink:
The van /pick up seats are only different from the car type in the postion/angle of the rear legs of the frame to make up for the flat floor in the van compared to the sloping floor of the cars.

WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

charlie_morris_minor wrote:I assume dennis checked that the seat is mounted as far forward as possible
great minds think alike!! :wink: :roll:

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

even with the seat in the front holes, i dont think they will be close enough

the answer if using the seats that are in there would be to redrill the floor closer, but then they would be off of the strengthening plate on the underside

but could allways spread the load with another plate i suppose

the seats at pesent are from a slaoon so the angle is also wrong

what about volvo ones i have heard that these may fit

:D :D
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

was getting a bit late to check that :oops: :oops: :oops:
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Post by aupickup »

yes thats a thought tho charlie

must admit i was more concerned in making sure the pick up would stop !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

aupickup wrote:the seats at pesent are from a slaoon so the angle is also wrong
Alex Holden took a brilliant series of photos of a lineup of van and saloon seats which show the differences very well :D

The saloon seat in my van can be adjusted to be far nearer the steering wheel than the van seat - too near for Alex, in fact, and we had to swap it over to the passenger side 8)

ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

The seats are definately in the nearest position. I can rectify this on a temporary basis by putting cushions behind me but this makes for a particularly uncomfortable drive!! Having driving the little beast from Newcastle I might just be getting a bit too paranoid because I had a bit of a scare the other day coming down a very very steep hill and couldn't stop. If I'm nearer I can apply more umph to the break - I don't weight very much and I think that's a distinct disadvantage with drum breaks :lol: I'm not that worried for now but it is something that needs doing and because of the floor pan of the van its equally difficult for a taller person to drive it without having to get into the position of the Hunchback of Notradam :-) We will find a way - there always an answer - probably lots of them!

jonathon
Minor Legend

Post by jonathon »

Metro seats will fit, and will probably solve your problem ( I had a pair fitted to my van and they were just fine)
I'd mount these properly ie front and back rather than just front. If need be simply re drill two front mounting hole where you need them with the seat in the most appropriate position

ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

That's the best message I've received so far - so thankyou :-) And I've already got a possible offer of two sets and am watching another set local to me on ebay.

WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

jonathon wrote:I had a pair fitted to my van
But the van has room for the seat back to use where as the pick up with the fixed cab back/bulkhead is totally restricted!

ani
Minor Addict

Post by ani »

I won't get too excited too soon then! Think I'll sit back and see where this goes :-)

WPR678B
Minor Legend

Post by WPR678B »

If you can pick some metro seats up cheap then go for it and put one in position and see how it suits your needs, but don't go spending loads only to be disappointed thats all.