Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
dustyfog
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

stainless steel front window screen insert

Post by dustyfog »

Hi what would be the best way in replacing tha stainless steel window screen insert (not a splitty) on a 61 2 door
cheers dysty

smoke me a kipper skipper i'll be back for breakfast
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

There is a special tool, a sort of loop of wire on a handle which the new surround fits through. You just push the tool into the groove, slide it around and job done. Remember to start at the bottom centre and trim the excess off afterwards. A bit of fairies' liquid in the groove may help.
[sig]3580[/sig]
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Hang on - Is it the metal insert which is in 2 halves and jioned with 2 fillet pieces or the plastic insert type which is a continuos piece? If the latter that go on as above after the screen is fitted. If the metal type it needs to be fitted BEFORE the screen goes in the car. Also the seals are different so if you have a new type seal the metal strips cannot be fitted and you must change for the plastic type finisher.
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
dustyfog
Minor Fan

Post by dustyfog »

its the first one with the 2 fillets

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

dustyfog wrote:its the first one with the 2 fillets
Bad luck mate - they are a real PITA..... assuming you have the correct seal an all...?
[sig]8426[/sig]

dustyfog
Minor Fan

Post by dustyfog »

i think i had better start again lol , i thought of replacing the original front screen rubber as it leaks slightly, the rubber is the original type with the two fillets as mentioned earlier , the question was how difficult would it be to replace the stainless two piece inserts into the new rubber , as this is different to the later type with the plastic insert. i hope this makes sense.

dustyfog
Minor Fan

Post by dustyfog »

or would it just be easier to get a new later rubber and plastic insert instead of going down the original route.

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

The easiest way is to fit the later rubber and plastic insert. The front screens seem easier to do than the rears but the procedure is the same except for they fit from the outside. Fit seal to glass. Fit para chord to flange. Offer screen up from the outside. Push and pull chord untill seal is pulled over the lip then fit the plastic insert with the special tool and a little white grease. Tip - when you cut the plastic insert leave it about an inch longer than you think you need it to be and push / force it into the corners hard to pull the seal back against the top of the frame.
If you do decide to go down the original route (are original style seals still available?) then you need to fit the stainless trim before you fit the screen to the car then carry on as above but the trims keep falling out and you get very irritated ;-)
[sig]8426[/sig]