Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Winter driving

Post by SGTBILKO »

It was shortly after a bad winter in the early eighties that I decided to get rid of my old Ford Pop, no heater and windscreen freezing on the inside. I regretted selling it afterwards. She is still on the DVLA records. Where are you now OYM 225?
MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

nigelr2000 wrote:Nice one, so you are The Doctor can't fool me as you posted the picture 13 minutes before it was taken :lol: :lol:
Never noticed that before, just took a look at the settings for the camera. Turns out the time was syncing with some dodgy server, it's now set to sync with trusty Microsoft servers :roll: :lol:
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
mrmorrisminor
Minor Fan

Post by mrmorrisminor »

I just come back from a 70 mile snowy drive in my Eurobox....Upto now I've always driven the Mog.... What an experience! I don't need a fancy warning light and buzzer to tell me I'm losing traction! It was going sideways!

Next time I shall be returning to the trusty steed.... sac of coal in the boot for ballast and off we go! :D
https://www.facebook.com/minor1000

Life is too short to own only one Minor :D
Gulliver 1969 Traveller, Green Machine 1967 2 door, Roxy 1967 4 door, Delilah 1960 convertible, Pheonix 1958 4 door, Francis 1953 4 door, Marilyn 1949 lowlight (1970 pick up & 1971 van both awaiting restoration)

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=54234
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=66053#p599269
moggyminor16
Minor Addict

Post by moggyminor16 »

mines on the road each day doing aprox 50 miles on the country lanes then some times crossing the A11 or the A47 why why why would you keep a minor in the garage or off the road they are used to it you can have fun in them and most of all keep going.I went shopping yestorday to Dearham this old boy came up to me and said hell swap his euro shed for mine any day and asked if i got stuck at all i just replyed not as yet lol good old minors are ment to be on the road. Had o get to my mums the other day in teh snow so took the traveller from Watton on to the A11 on to the A14 then A12 M25 then on to the A2 no one over took stayed away from my rear end never missed a beat only problem was after about 1 hour had to lean ot and wip some snow away from the sreen,she made it down to Rochester thenall the way back leaving there at 10 pm gtting back to watton at 3 am yes was cold to start with but wth a cuppa on the go ,bobble hat and gloves was fine . Yes i will doing it again if teh weather gets bad again. :D
FB_IMG_1694290254471.jpg
markthe45king
Minor Fan

Post by markthe45king »

lily and i did surbiton to leeds today, M25, M1 - all pretty clear except a really rough bit around newport pagnell; and i certainly wouldn't have fancied having to pull over onto the hard shoulder though. Only issues we had were the screenwash losing pressure - resolved by moving the bottle nearer the squirters, and my not knowing the best setting for the heater toggle switch pointed to driver or passenger side?) thank god for gloves!
[sig]10256[/sig]
rsawatson
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by rsawatson »

Fair enough if you're that worried about the rust, however I'm with the others and as far as I'm concerned it's a car that's supposed to be driven and enjoyed - whatever the weather! (Not that I have a choice seeing as the Minor's my only car... :-) )
Ryan Watson

wibble_puppy
Minor Legend

Post by wibble_puppy »

My builder told me today about a chap round here who got fined and three points on his licence for driving with snow on the roof of his car. You can see the point, but three points seems a tad harsh :-?

SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

Positively draconian! I tried to get the snow of the roof of mine today but it was frozen on!
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

I suppose snow on the roof is classed as an unstable or unsecured load, ie: it could fall off at any point and cause, er someone to loose visibility and have an accident possibly...
How a defence of it was 'securely attached by ice' would stand, i don't know!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
cmea
Minor Friendly

Post by cmea »

Don't see how rust is a problem, whenever I wash the car I make sure I spray the underside and wheel arches as well not just the bits you can see. She has been waxoiled and if she did rust the parts are available to replace the panels underneath.
The problems as I see with winter driving is that the headlights get covered in salt and become very dim at night. :( This doesn't happen to "moderns" as much because their headlights are angled and the spray washes off them. Also my roof will probably rot quicker as I dont tend to wash it when I wash the car (convertible).
They are great fun to drive, added to which if you were unfortunate enough to slide into another car (at low speed) the car would probably still drive home and not crumple so much that it becomes undriveable.
Why put high miles on the "modern" with big depreciation when so long as the moggy is in good condition the mileage is irrelevant - in fact a used moggy often holds higher value than one that only does a couple of hundred miles a year.[frame]Image[/frame]

Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I know where the pic of that pickup was taken CMEA - is it yours?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
cmea
Minor Friendly

Post by cmea »

Matt
It is now! I pick it up this week :D :D :D