Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
phurn
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

my future plans...

Post by phurn »

well i think ive finally settled on a long term plan for leeroy.

hes scruffy, has wiring like spaghetti, leaky wheel cylinders, leakes oil like a race horse [Don't swear or you will be banned - Admin], has a hole in the floor and jumps out of fourth gear.

so, once he comes off the road at the end of his current mot (some time mid july) im gonna strip him down to his bare rusty shell and drop in a lovely 2.9 v6 with 4 speed auto box. oh and a return to his original grey colour.

it'l be the biggest project ive udertaken to date, so no doubt i'll be pestering my more mechanically minded family members and you lot for advice 24/7. but i think the end result will be worth it. im gonan ake my time with it and do it in my spare time over a couple of years (by which time ill be 25+ and able to get cheaper insurance)

ive aleady got the engine and box, and the minor ocourse! so it was a case of why not! just got to figure out what brakes, axle & suspention to use... along with a million other things. i know it wont be easy, but im really looking forward to it.
phurn
Minor Fan

Re: my future plans...

Post by phurn »

ofcourse ive also gotta find out what i can do and still keep the reg number as i really dont wanna loose that!. im aiming for something very understated, something that looks standard untill you hear the slow burble of a healthy v6.
i know its not one for any purists out there, but this is a car that will never be a show winner anyway. and the nice newengine should see it keep up with traffic nicely.
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

a 2.9 would be very nice, and im sure quick in a little minor :D
freshly painted 1275cc anda very loud big bore exhaust
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

well its quick in a hulking old granny so im hoping it wil be! not rediculously quick, just fast enough to be real fun to drive.
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

sound good but watch you dont fall foul of any inspections the car may have to have :wink:
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

thats one of my qustions, what, if any inspections would it require? and how expensive are they?
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I would sort out the structure of the car first! The hole in the floor is likely to be the tip of the iceberg and as you are likely to lose Historic vehicle status and have to hack the car about, I'd advise restoring the lovely A series engine. Don't put a horrid gas-guzzling V6 in your Minor! It will lose historic status and have to have a "Q " plate and will cost you a fortune to get through the BIVA test. Keep it nice, simple and historic!
Last edited by chickenjohn on Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
rossrox
Minor Fan

Post by rossrox »

if its standard, then its no fun... simple

and its all done by a point system basically stay at 8 points or over and your fine, http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Bu ... G_10014199
...............................................ЯR................................................

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

I have three standard Minors and all of them are HUGE fun!
ImageImage
hotrodder13
Minor Legend

Post by hotrodder13 »

i had more fun in mine after i started modifiying it :D the sound and the look but its all about personal opionions !!!!!!!!
freshly painted 1275cc anda very loud big bore exhaust
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

hmmm so i get 5 points for the shell.... does that still count if its been strengthened to cope with the additional weight/power? and with the different gearbox tunnel? i could keep the steering, but would it be up to coping with the demands that would be placed on it? likewise the suspension?
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

i think we have all done it :D i had v8 minors in the mid 70 s, jacked up cortinas etc :oops: :oops: i myself prefer standard cars now but appreciate customs etc and like to see younger people enjoying them and when i do see one admire the dedication etc and hard work that it takes
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

well, a prety car and my altime favourite engine, whats not to like =] i do wana try keep my plate though. but if i have to loose it and q plate it then so be it, its not as if id ever plan to sell it anyway.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

you have to watch out as insurance companies overload on Q plates :evil:
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

hmmm but there doesnt seem to be a way to fit the engine without cutting the bulkhead, fromw hat ive read on other forums anyway. which means theres no way i could score enough points to keep the plate. dont get me wrong, im gonna try! but from what ive sen it'l sit too far infront of the wheels and be a real nightmare on the handling.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Yes, thats right, you'll end up ruining the car. Best thing you can do with the V6 is put it in a kit- car with a proper tubular chassis and restore the Minor to standard, that way you have the best of both worlds, a lovely fun original classic and a sports car.

A standard Minor on narrow tyres and with the A series engine is brilliant on snow. Only a small 4x4 with narrow winter tyres would be better. Fitting heavy engines and wide wheels and lower the car and you lose all the qualities that make for a great driving snow car.

I'm surprised the likes of JLH have not brought out a spaceframe based fibreglass Minor kit car- with mountings available for all the popular high power engines, brakes and suspensions. A MUCH better solution for those that want the classic looks but want fast car mechanics.
ImageImage
phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

tbh i think i'l still crack on with it, just have ot loose my plate and pay tax =/ would be a lovely day to day car though! i might aswell swap everything over if im goign down that route. suspension, steering the lot. i just want it to look as standard a possible from the outside though. ride height, steel rimes with hub caps.. i spose i could band out the originals i dont want them to be too wide afterall, jsut a ittle bit? an inoffensive exhuast, its original colour, ifi can find a way of mating them up id love to keep the original steering wheel with some nice power steering. halogen head lights with built in side lights, turn the current indicators/sideligth arrangement into purely indicators with the honeycomb lenses on. nothing major inside, just the auto box lever, a couple of extra dials for temp, pressure and battery with a radio in the glove box behind the steering wheel.
what if i use the auto box form a 924, thats mounted at the back of the car, therefore bringing soem of that weight to the rear of the car at the exense of boot space. any thaughts on that one?
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Just to say your project sounds really good, and not very extreme at all, i dont know about the length but it should be possible. And i dont know how noticeable the slight notch in the bulkhead would be to an mot inspector, especially if it looks otherwise standard on the body. So best of look with it! Get going..
___Anne___

phurn
Minor Fan

Post by phurn »

well i like the sound of it =p and as i say, its my favourite engine. theres lighter more powerfull easier ot fit engines out there, but none of them are as exciting for me.i just love the sound it makes, low revving, low stress so it lasts forever too. pulls like an absolute train mind, feels alot more powerfull than it actually is, it has to be said.
patricklambert
Minor Fan

Post by patricklambert »

sounds agood plan! i dont suppose you have the whole car your getting the engine out of? guessing its a granada?