Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ferret76
Minor Fan
Location: MMOC Tropical Research Division Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
MMOC Member: No

Glass Channel Felt

Post by ferret76 »

Should some sort of adhesive be used when installing new window channel felt, or is it held there by 'art'?
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: Glass Channel Felt

Post by ASL642 »

If it's for the saloon no adhesive is required. Measure and cut to fit. Hold the opne ends of the strip between your fingers and and push it into the channel. Do the sides first and then the top. Note: you will have to cut a small slit at the top of each side to make allowance for the door top screws otherwise they will foul the window rising and falling and the window will not close completely. The Traveller rear window channels are screwed into the channel making sure they don't impede the sliding function of the glass. Hope this helps :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

if for door drop glass, i did fit mine without adhesive, and then found it slid down with the window when winding down. so i just put a blob of superglue on the back edge and it's cured it! i'd fit it without first, and see if it's an issue.

i also used the old stuff i took out as a template to cut to the right lengths, but you could work it out by roughly doubling the glass height.
ferret76
Minor Fan
Location: MMOC Tropical Research Division Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia

Post by ferret76 »

Thanks guys!
Owlsman
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Owlsman »

I've resurrected this very old thread as I want to ask, hopefully, not too daft a question...… :oops:

The nearside front door window glass rattles about quite a lot when fully wound up. I think it's simply that the rubber/felt runners on both sides and top are well past their sell-by dates as there's plenty of side to side movement! I'm thinking it might also be the reason for quite a bit of wind noise.

I want to replace the runners with the strip that ESM have (hence my search for this topic) but wonder if I can just get away with replacing the top sections. Presumably it involves virtually dismantling the entire window winding mechanism to do the job properly i.e. replacing the runners along the full length of the window channels.

If I tried doing the top parts only (the window will only occasionally be fully wound down) would I run the risk of not creating a smooth joint between the old and the new and the glass then 'snagging' where the 2 runners join?

I'm sure somebody on here will know...…. :D

Thanks.
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

I guess a lot will depend on the general state of the door / window trim generally.
Will you be having to replace any / all of the rubber seals / mouldings on the main window and quarterlight any time soon ? If you answer is yes , because of perished rubber , then a complete strip down is the only way.
Replacing part of the channel felt , in situ , I personally wouldn't but it's your car. The temporary fix might work for a while … but for how long ? Would it be a smooth as a proper fix , probably not. I acknowledge that stripping
out the door fittings is not a 5 minute job and that rusted screws will be encountered. the cost of the channel felt
is not excessive , so if the result is not satisfactory , you will have the opportunity to have another go.
Bob
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

You're quite right of course, Bob. Quarter-light rubbers etc generally seem Ok but I'm going to have to bite the bullet sooner or later and do the job properly with a full strip-down of the door

In the meantime, I've effected a temporary repair 'cos in my ''it'll come in useful, one day'' tin I found a slightly tapered rubber strip (Heaven knows where from) that was the exact depth of the window channel. I wound the window down as far as possible and simply glued this strip into the channel. I even managed to slot some past the glass in its lowest position so the window easily winds up past it.

No road test as yet to check for reduction in wind noise or rattling but the glass is now firmly held in position so I am very hopeful of a solution, at least temporarily.

I'm going to the Classic Car Show at the NEC so should be able to pick up some glass channel felt there.
Apolaustic
Minor Friendly

Post by Apolaustic »

I’ve just fitted new channel felt/rubbers and weather strips to the O/S door of our convertible (I’ll do the other side later in the week). For each channel, I was able to feed the felt down the channel (with the window lowered), pulling it down as necessary (with the window raised) from inside the door. I removed the door card because (a) I needed to pull the felt down, and (b) I needed to make sure that the felt was seated properly in the channel along the full length. I was pleased to be able to avoid stripping the door and to have had only to remove the card :).
Apolaustic
1966 white/red convertible (1098cc with alternator, electronic ignition & brake servo)
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

That's encouraging - sort of just what I was wanting to hear :) Thanks for posting.

Did the old felt strip come out fairly easily? Does the new strip have to be glued in or is it a 'push fit'? May I ask also what type of and the dimensions of the felt you used...….or is it all pretty much universal?

Thanks.
Alan
Apolaustic
Minor Friendly

Post by Apolaustic »

I bought the rubbers/felt and the weather strips from ESM; they arrived cut to a good fit. The old worn felts pulled out very easily (pulling vertically upwards from the top). I did not glue in the new ones - they are a tight fit and there is no sign of them moving with the opening/closing of the window (and I wouldn't want to have to remove old glue if I ever replace them again!).
Apolaustic
1966 white/red convertible (1098cc with alternator, electronic ignition & brake servo)
Owlsman
Minor Fan

Post by Owlsman »

I bought a roll of suitable window glass channel felt from the Woolies stand at the NEC Classic Car Show on Friday and fitted lengths to the 2 vertical sides of the n/side front door window this afternoon.

For anyone considering doing it, it's dead easy. There was just a minor problem on one side where a securing screw was a bit proud and stopped the rubber backed felt from sliding down the window channel. I 'feathered' the end, dipped it in some grease and then 'persuaded' the new seal to slide down the channel with a narrow screwdriver. Job done!

Not done a road test yet (to see if wind noise is reduced in any way) but the window now winds up and down with an assuring tightness and despite banging my fist against the door card, I could not make it rattle.

Flushed with this success...….only 3 doors to go now :D