Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Cheap modifications

Post by ben_minor_63 »

Hi i am getting a morris minor 1963 as my first car and am thinking in putting some cheap modifications can any one help me?
My ideas are steering wheel, seat belts, Cd player? is there any more cheap modifications and any websites what do them?

d_harris
Minor Legend

Re: Cheap modifications

Post by d_harris »

Hi Ben.

It depends what you are looking to do really! Im guessing from your post that you are pretty young and a new driver (first car kinda gives it away) the best advice I can give you is make sure that the car is in tip-top standard condition and get used to driving it then decide what you want and what your budget its. Make sure the dampers are filled with fresh oil and the rear springs are in good nick and you'll find the handling to be pretty good.

In terms of sticking a stereo in - why not? its a simple enough job and everything you need can be got easily from halfords (although there are better suppliers out there) the wiring is simple enough - the debate is where to stick the stereo!

Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello D,

as always, my personal view, :- "the debate is where to stick the stereo!"

Dustbin. :-)

Alec
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

Near enough 2 hours each way on a boring dual carriageway requires some decent music. I've got led zep going at the mo :D

MColes
Minor Legend

Post by MColes »

As Dan says make sure the car is solid, if it's you're first classic car you don't want to be put off for life by your first one being a nightmare (like mine was, though it was a good experience in a way, it taught me a lot about cars).

I'm not sure how experienced you are with the world of Morris Minors or any classic cars but if you're not that experienced it might be worth while adding your location to your profile, when you do find a car you like someone on here may be willing to look it over for you :D
Matt Coles
Young Members Registrar

Find out more about the Young Members Register HERE
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello D,

take the side roads and enjoy the car.

Alec
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

Post by charlie_morris_minor »

d_harris wrote:Near enough 2 hours each way on a boring dual carriageway requires some decent music. I've got led zep going at the mo :D
led zepplin .. and when that cd has finished you can get back to the decent music :wink:
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

stereos are a very worthwhile investment, they're good for drowning out rattles :lol:

mine is fitted just under the passengers side of the dash, set a little bit back so it's not in plain sight.

speakers mount easily in the 'scuttle panels' the triangular-ish shaped trim coloured panels that mount just ahead of the a-post, (by your right foot if you're driving). i fitted the smallest cheapest speakers i could find! i've you're on facebook, search for me (Chris Ryder funnily enough) and i've got loads of pics uploaded, including many on how i fitted my stereo! Also search 'MMOC Young Members' in groups and join in!
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

sorry ben.. you will find that the posts tend to wander of topic a bit..

to answer your question..

the first mod would be to fit seat belts if the car does not have them.

after that I would go for a stereo, try finding somewhere to hid it so it is not in full view, moggies are not the most secure. also you might want to swap to an alternator as a old dynamo struggles when you have your lights / heater / wipers / stereo all on at the same time :oops:

then the steering wheel.. be careful not go too small or you will end up with very heavy steering.

fit poly bushes in sets i.e. do both sides of the car at the same time as your rubber bushes die.

as for wheels.. keep your eyes open the options are limited so if you see something you like you might have to buy it there and then as they do not come up every day.

I remove the parcel shelf it makes the car feeler roomier and I have never found the parcel shelf very useful for storing any items any way.

then you are on to brakes / suspension /engines

if you buy a two door later on you could turn it into a convertible
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

i didn't really wander off topic :oops:

i'm a firm believer in driver it as is to start with. decide what you like and what you don't like. you don't want to change something straight away, you never know, you might have liked it!

personally one of the first things i did was fit minilite wheels. i drove it round for a month or two with standard wheels on 155 tyres. after a few near misses and leaving a few roundabouts a little more sideways than i would have liked, they were the first thing to go!

when i bought my car it already had a large bore exhaust on, having driven my sisters minor with a standard exhaust, although loving the parp-ing, i was converted as soon as i drove mine with the large bore exhaust. sounds a lot more... masculine :lol:

i fitted a 14 inch mountney steering wheel, even with my 185 width tyres isn't too hard to steer. trying to park in a tight space can be a bit exhausting though! i would have gone for a 15 inch wheel but they didnt have any in stock at the time! on reflection i think a 15 inch would have been better. 16.5 is the standard size, and i found myself hitting my legs on it, and punching the windscreen when parallel parking quickly!
charlie_morris_minor
Minor Legend

chrisryder wrote:i didn't really wander off topic :oops:
no but i did :oops:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

As suggested - TOP priority is seat belts. Then brake improvements - if it has the 7" drums at the front you should seriously chase up a set of the later model 8" front drum brakes. These are not expensive and make a tremendous difference. I don't understand how anyone can hear a 'stereo' in a Minor...... if you must have music wherever you go - I believe there are small devices with earpieces available........ I strongly urge you to install a secret switch in the feed wire to the fuel pump - to prevent anyone else driving your car away.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

You would be better listening to the engine whilst driving along than listening to the stereo whilst stuck on the hard shoulder. :(
[sig]3580[/sig]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

I fitted the stereo in my minor for my lonesome journey on MOT08. Parents were in the car infront. I needed to music to keep me occupied. very easy to get bored staring at the back of the same car (no matter how pretty it is) for 1000 miles. and doing 55/60 as they were, i could hear my stereo very clearly!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Chris -get your Dad to drop in a 1098 then you wouldn't get stuck behind them! :lol:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

he has! it's just still using the 803 oil bath air filter. and i've not got a clue what diff he's got in there but it's certainly got awfull gearing!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Hmm - the 'MOT' sounds really exciting.......... :roll:
ImageImage
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

it is when not following my parents. i was running late for the ferry last year, so spent much of the journey on the autoroute doing 90 :lol: :o (well 90 on the speedo anyway, i've never been able to get it that fast since, maybe i've developed more mechanical sympathy!)
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

i am doing modifications as i can afford them, my grandad and I are reubilding a 2 door 1963 one and and the paint isn't that good it has blue speckles in it, i think he is thinking of upgrading it all due to it being my daily car, i shown him things that i wanted to do and he said it is fine but not told him about the steering wheel lol, things which i want to do is put the VMAX supercharger on it when i can afford it but thinking how much the insurance will be and the reliablity of them.
I am usto classic cars because i have been brought up buliding a Rover P4 100 and had another morris minor, MYS 957F now up north being rebuilt.
Can any one give me any ideas if it is worth putting a stone guards and the headlight peaks on?
The Cd player is going to be hidden and that and the belts are being put in before i even start driving it, is there any modifications that won't upset the older generation who like the car standard?

Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

Stone guards and headlamp peaks? :roll:

My opinion:
More stuff to clean, more stuff to rattle, more drag (aerodynamic that is!), more weight outside the wheelbase, less light....
If it's not needed to make the car safer, more efficient or a more pleasurable experience to drive and own, then I won't fit it.

But it's not my car... maybe adding such accessories will increase the pleasure you derive from your car ... so go for it...
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD