Safety of axle stands

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

I think it may also depend on the stands. My stands have a much larger base diameter than Nikkis, for example, and I feel much happier with my stands + whatever else I'm using for my own safety; and have tested by giving my car a fair shove and found it didn't want to move....

Mind you, I prefer my ramps if I'm under the car anyway.
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

I have, however, had an engineering apprenticeship and many years of experience.
me too (Mech Eng apprenticeship + much more). The amount of 'lift' required can be easily overcome for the average persons axle stands on the average garage floor or driveway. The reason the lift is overcome is the ratio of the axle stand height to the base width.
When people strip cars down, they get the socket set out etc.. and generally apply huge forces if a bolt is tight.
And I'm not joking when I said it happened to me and I was lucky not to have any body parts under the car at the time. It has also happend to plety of other people.
The level of namby-pamby cant-do-anything-without-first- doing-a-risk-assessment stuff I come across at work drive me nuts, however when something is potentially very dangerous the point needs to be made.
Like I already said - what you do is up to you. What I'd hope to avoid is anyone else reading this and thinking that worrying about a car on 4 axle stands is being namby pamby and ending up in a wheelchair as a result.
Cam

Post by Cam »

I do think that Kate has a point though. I have 3 sets of axle stands. 2 sets are cast iron/heavy steel and are superb. I would (and do) trust them. The other set are a pressed steel type and the legs fold inward when not in use for storage and I have NEVER used them because they just don't look safe!

I always use flat paving flags (inside my garage) to put the stands on, and always give the car a 'nudge' first to see if they move, but I'm pretty sure if I did a rugby type tackle on the side of the car it would be over!! :lol:

Oh and engineering apprenticeships / degrees don't always make you safe! I mean, look at electrician's wiring!!! :wink:
Alec
Minor Legend

Post by Alec »

Hello Ray,
I take your point in the last sentence, and I went back and read your experience about pushing your Minor off a set of stands. I am genuinely surprised that you were able to do that with a small amount of force.

Alec
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

but I'm pretty sure if I did a rugby type tackle on the side of the car it would be over!!
I did not realise your hands were THAT big Cam :wink:
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

degrees don't always make you safe! I
engineering degrees seem to make people dangerous!! :lol:
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Glad I have not got one then Ray
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Cam

Post by Cam »

I did not realise your hands were THAT big Cam
No, but my shoulder is!! and I'm short and determined!! :lol:
engineering degrees seem to make people dangerous!!
and engineering Masters/PhDs seem to make people incapable of walking in a straight line!! :lol:
_h_____
Minor Friendly

Post by _h_____ »

guys,

there are loads of people out there who have kept cars on 4 axle stands for long periods of time, myself included. But you do have to be sensible. Remember it is you going under the car. Most of the key points have been mentioned, the car needs to be on flat ground, a quality trolley jack and quality stands is a complete must. Putting the wheels back under the car so if the worst happens the car doesnt hit the floor. And making sure that you are carefull when you jack the car up. After you have one end up, you need the car to pivot on the first set of stands, so the jack needs to be able to move back slightly. Always leave the jack up under the car too. And as everyone has said, once on the stands, give the car a shove, if it moves, then it is not safe. Also when you are under the car shifting big bolts with a 3' pipe over the end of the socket bar for leverage, think about the consequences!

I think that if you are carefull, then it is completely safe. There have been similar discussions on other car forums, and there will always be horror stories, but in nearly all cases, there is a good cause. Its your neck you just need to look after it.

Cheers

h