Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
sb
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

chilly times a coming

Post by sb »

looking through a parts manual i've noticed there are two types of heater valves.

One appears to be similar to a regular tap and therefore i can only assume that it can only be turned on and off under the bonnet.

The other type has a hinge and i assume is controlled via the heater valve control cable at the dash.

My Mogster has the later attached to the head however, theres no evidence of any control cable every being conected.
The heater blower works ok and the pipes are fine, no flooding, the water runs well.

Anyone know what the differances are and should i install a heater control cable or replace the heater valve with a tap type?

Cheers and thanks, sb.
Apparently i like the Mogster more than the girlfriend!!!
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

you seem to have it sussed, so the choice is yours.
I've never managed to get one of the interior cable contros to work though, however I'm sure some people have used them fine.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

What year is the car because that has a bearing on the type of tap used, I assume 62 or earlier, but as long as it works it does not take long to pop the bonnet and switch it on or of.
Cheers

Kevin
Lovejoy 1968 Smoke Grey Traveller (gone to a new home after13 years)

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Pyoor_Kate
Minor Addict

Post by Pyoor_Kate »

I'm told by a variety of ex-mini owners that the heater tap with the control cable is awful and almost invaribly fails. Certainly mine's in the "always on" section of the universe (it doesn't matter what position the little lever is in, the heater is on). I keep looking out in scrappies for something I can modify to go inline with the pipe to operate in place of the little hinged tap thing.
Pyoor Kate
The Electric Minor Project
The Current Fleet:
1969 Morris 'thou, 4 Door. 2010 Mitsubishi iMiEV. 1920s BSA Pushbike. 1930s Raleigh pushbike.
The Ex-Fleet:
1974 & 1975 Daf 44s, 1975 Enfield 8000 EV, 1989 Yugo 45, 1981 Golf Mk1, 1971 Vauxhall Viva, 1989 MZ ETZ 125, 1989 Volvo Vario 340, 1990, 1996 & 1997 MZ/Kanuni ETZ 251s
Desires:
Trabant 601, Tatra T603, Series II Landy, Moskvitch-401, Vincent HRD Black Shadow, Huge garage, Job in Washington State.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

I keep looking out in scrappies for something I can modify to go inline with the pipe to operate in place of the little hinged tap thing.
Kate the one that will fit with least messing about is from a Vauxhall Chevette, the other alternative is to fit the earlier brass gatevalve type that is also used on the Midgets.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
salty_monk
Minor Fan

Post by salty_monk »

Ours has the under dash control & works ok (touch wood..) the reason so many fail is that people tend to open them in Autumn & then shut them in Spring, this means they sit in the water pipes merrily rusting & degrading away.... The answer to longer life is to move them in & out a couple of times every week or whenever you think of it.... A replacement if yours is seized is about £15.
If anyone knows of a good source of the old type (cheap like the budgie) or has a couple lying around I'd be interested (for another project...) :D
[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Junk/Sig.jpg[/img][img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y247/salty_monk/Suzuki/thIMGP0432.jpg[/img]
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Keep your eyes out at autojumbles they are normally only a fiver.
Cheers

Kevin

Herts Branch Member
Moderator MMOC 44706
Willie
Minor Legend

heater valve.

Post by Willie »

The brass handwheel type heater valve is available new. The
parts are: gasket @50p, heater valve (handwheel type) £12-50,
and adaptor plate (for handwheel type) £4-95. This is from the
parts list of 'Minor Developments'. Bull Motif would be worth a look.
Willie
[img]http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e197/wuzerk/mo9.jpg[/img]
sb
Minor Friendly

Re: heater valve.

Post by sb »

Willie wrote:The brass handwheel type heater valve is available new. The
parts are: gasket @50p, heater valve (handwheel type) £12-50,
and adaptor plate (for handwheel type) £4-95. This is from the
parts list of 'Minor Developments'. Bull Motif would be worth a look.
Thanks!
Apparently i like the Mogster more than the girlfriend!!!
custommartin
Minor Fan

Post by custommartin »

Pyoor_Kate wrote:I'm told by a variety of ex-mini owners that the heater tap with the control cable is awful and almost invaribly fails. Certainly mine's in the "always on" section of the universe (it doesn't matter what position the little lever is in, the heater is on). I keep looking out in scrappies for something I can modify to go inline with the pipe to operate in place of the little hinged tap thing.

The plastic heater tap from a VW Golf (1980's - GTI?) is an in-line job, very small and neat.

I was given one of these by a mate who was into Golf's and it did work well.
1971 3.9 litre V8 Pick-Up - At least most of the bodywork is original!
Hibernating - Shhhhhhhhhhhhh!

1966 V8 powered roadster - Now out of hibernation - not long til it's done.................