Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

DVLA VIC

Post by IaininTenbury »

Hi folks. Heading into uncharted waters for me here. My '64 van (Gaffa) passed its MOT test today, the first time after its accident three years ago. I've now sent off the form to book a VIC inspection (Vehicle Identity Check) as it was an insurance write off and they want to confirm its the same vehicle.
I've never done this before, anything I should know or be prepared for, for the inspection or is it pretty straightforward?
I've got pre accident photos, photos of the damage and during the repairs (new front end) and theres consistant features such as the stickers in the windows etc. so hopefully there won't be too much doubt about it.
Also theres a squashed front wing stashed in the back as evidence too....
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
rayofleamington
MMOC Member: No

Re: DVLA VIC

Post by rayofleamington »

I've never had one done but I'm told they are normally straightforward. They are looking for evidence that it is the same car and not a ringer.

I did hear of one a friend had done - turned up for appointment, and roughly on time a woman came out to see the car, with clipboard, hi-vis jacket and... hard hat :-?
he was pretty unimpressed with that!

I expect the hard hat was optional, but advised on Health and Safety grounds - just in case the inspector hit his/her head on the bonnet after peering underbonnet looking for an ID plate.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
RogerRust
Minor Legend

Post by RogerRust »

rayofleamington wrote:a woman came out to see the car, with clipboard, hi-vis jacket and... hard hat :-?
he was pretty unimpressed with that!
I try to only wear my hard hat and hi vis if its raining!

This message board is like a family - you can't choose the other members!! But remember engine oil is thicker than water.
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Well, I'm fairly confident on a pass, just waiting for an appointment date now which is frustrating.
I can show fairly continuous photographic history since I first bought it in 2003 for eg: Honeymoon trip round Scotland inc. JOGLE run in 06, on MMOC NEC stand in Nov.07, accident in May 08 and back in one piece last week, which should convince even the most sceptical hi-vis jacketed official. Even the stickers in the windows match up...
Anyway, there's probably not too many Rose Taupe vans with side windows to choose from either :)
Image[frame]Image[/frame]
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Update is that I can't have an appointment at Kidderminster (my nearest test station) before the middle of September!
I had quite fancied using it and going to a few Minor rallys this summer....
However, I can have an appointent next Thursday if i don't mind going to DVLA Bristol, so it looks like having a day out next week. Didn't really fancy such a long run straight away, but not much choice it would seem.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

bpr81a
Minor Legend

Post by bpr81a »

Are you allwed to drive it, or does it have to be trailered?

Jon Rocke
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Apparently, its legit to drive it as long as its MOT'd and insured. I would have been much more miffed about having to trailer it to Bristol!
Its just that I'm unable to tax it as I surrended the V5 to the insurance co. when it was written off and the DVLA wont issue a new one till its passed its VIC test. Still feels a bit conspicuous with a three year old tax disc in the windscreen though.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Hi there,
Well I can answer your questions!
My traveller was written off last July, a catagory c (repairable). I bought it back off the insurance company and had it repaired. After it had passed it's mot I booked an appontment at the DVLA for a vehicle identity check (VIC). With a current MOT and insurance, you are allowed to drive it to and from the testing station. I went to the one in Poole, the man drove it into his testing hanger ( which I wasn't allowed to see) all he did was check the numbers matched on the vehicle to the ones he had on the dvla computer, they did and so that was that. I then had to tax the vehicle, so I drove it to the dvla office, 3 miles away! I had the old V5, this was cancelled and a new one applied for at the same time, also I had the insurance document so he was able to tax it there and then. I wasn't charged anymore for the new v5 as this I think was included in the vehicle identity check charge, or perhaps I was lucky! As you haven't the original you may be charged for this. The new v5 arrived and the noted on the front now states
1. Duplicate document.
2. Substantially repaired and/or accident damaged; identity checked on 28 03 2011
As you haven't a V5 for the vehicle then I would take any paperwork you have relating to the accident and the car, just in case. It was very quick and easy, I thought they would do more structural tests but all I can think is, as it has an MOT then the car is safe and tested.
I hope you find this of some use and good luck with the test :D , pm me if you need any more help.
Phil Traves
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Thanks for that. I don't think I have to pay for a new V5 as its down to their procedures that I dont have one. Its another engine now (old one was a bit mangled round the timing chain area and it wasn't very special (oil burner) anyway) but other than that the numbers match. I'll take photos of the accident damage and the old O/S wing, which should help if theres any doubt.
More concerned now about a long journey in a car that hasn't been used for three years and then recently thrown back together!
Load bay could be full of tools and spares for the journey I expect!
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

My engine didn't match the v5 either, they didn't even look at that! Good luck! :D
My 1956 Series 11 Traveller! Bought when I was 17 (1985)....sold 6 years (1991) later......bought back 9 years after that! (2000) With 6 different owners in the middle, what a lucky boy I am!
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Well the day finally arrived and we had a mornings run down to Hereford, Monmouth and the Wye Valley to Chepstow, nipped across the Severn Bridge to Avonmouth and found the DVLA Bristol test centre. Very daunting looking. Sign saying wait with your car till a tester comes and finds you, then wait in reception till the test is done and your car will be brought round to the car park.
Unfortunately my tester was quite a 'large' chap and couldnt fit his legs betweent he seats and steering wheel without pulling up on the wheel enough to pull the column off the steering rack! Not a good start, and yes the pinch bolt had worked loose over the last few years and could have been tighter. Anyway a swift bit of spannering and a newly attached steerign column and I assured him it was safe for him to drive into the testing bay and I went to drink coffee in reception. I lurked in the doorway, watching what was happening and eventually he reappeared and beckoned me over. Ah, I thought, this dosn't bode well after seeing him drive out the previous car to the car park.
Anyway he said it had passed, but obviously didn't fancy getting into it again to drive out to the car park, so I backed it out and left the site at speed giving it the full on exhaust rasp at the exit!

[frame]Image[/frame]
Only comment he had was that its not the original engine as the number didn't match. I said the original engine was a bit knocked about from the accident so I put another one in. He said I should change it on the V5 when I get one. Fair enough really.

Stopped for a look at the 'seaside' on the way back. Waved to a white fourdoor in Chepstow, had a sandwich and cup of tea at Tintern Abbey and was back at work for 3.45pm. Not a bad day out really. If I'd remembered my insurance document I could have called at the Worcester DVLA office and taxed it too, but that would just be too efficient..... :)
[frame]Image[/frame]
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Well done ! You beat the red tape........ And did he REALLY pull the steering column off the rack ??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
ImageImage
Plin
Minor Fan

Post by Plin »

Excellent news Iain. Good job you knew how to repair the steering column! Busy week you've had getting your van sorted after already travelling to the National. Well enjoy driving your van again!
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Pleased old Gaffa is back on the road. He looked so lonely in that VIC bay. Look forward to seeing him back on the rally circuit soon! :D

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
taupe
Minor Legend

Post by taupe »

well done Ian

Lovelly colour van :wink: :D :D :D

Taupe
welshrat
Minor Addict

Post by welshrat »

Great looking van, I do hope I am not tempting fate by asking this question but wondered how the buying back from the insurance company works. Should my minor of 30 years be involved in an accident (cold sweat just typing it) do I automatically have the right to buy it back, is it a complicated process etc.

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

Tbh the column was slightly loose on the rack. I had felt a 'slight' amount of play on the way down and was being careful not to pull ont he steering wheel. couldn't beleive it when he forced his fat leg between seat and wheel and pulled the coloumn off the splines... To be fair it is quite snug in there with the Suntor camper seats which is why I fitted a smaller wheel so I coudl get in it. I'm fine once installed though!
Still got to realign the self cancelling pip for the indicator and sort out the contact for the horn slip ring that he managed to mangle as he pulled the column up about a foot just to show how loose and no longer attached it was.

Anyway, grumbles over and 7/16" pinch bolt tightened all seems well. Regarding buying back from the insurance company. It was pretty straight forward, I think they asked me if i wanted to keep it, and they worked a price presumably based on the expected price it may make in a salvage auction - minus their recovery and storage costs which came to something like £140 which they just knocked off the sum they paid me for the van and knee V dashboard injury.

A friend had a normal non classic policy and really had to persuade them that he wanted to keep his vehicle and repair it. I had it at my garage at the time and I was pestered for a week or so with calls wanting to arrange collection of the vehicle. Once they grasped the idea that an owner woudl like to keep his damaged vehicle they were quite happy about it, but it would seem the classic policies are more geared up for this.
When it comes down to it its your vehicle and I would advise if you are in this situation to have it recovered to your own address if possible as recovery companies will charge storage which you may well be liable for. Also it saves any aggro about where it is and where and when you can collect it. (I was lucky with Gaffa as it rolled and steered well enough, and I was well enough to tow it the 1/2 mile home on a rope behind the wife's Astra. I could have used my own breakdown and recovery service to have moved it too, its just if you're carted off to hospital and the police arrange it for you when it all gets complicated and expensive).
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

mbo145
Minor Fan

Post by mbo145 »

Well done Ian, I hated doing the VIC test, :cry: but what a lovely feeling it is when you drive off! :D
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

I remember you first posting about the accident. Glad to see the van back on the road :D

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend

Post by IaininTenbury »

just over three years ago now. Amazing how time flies.... :o
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.