Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Emergency Exhaust Question

Post by Arthurdaily »

Hi, I decided to go totally Morris, and things have gone well... except the car is filling with fumes! I think that there is a leak between the manifold and exhaust, indeed there seems to be 'tape' behind the joining bracket which would suggest a bodge at some stage - typical! So, what to do... I could take it to a garage, but need it every day plus the whole idea of a morris was 'save money' and do it yourself - so help required please!

Now without taking it all apart I don't know what to buy to fix it - as son'y know if it is the manifold or exhaust which is damaged under the bracket thing, or indeed if it simply needs sealer of some sort - so before I begin I want to check I understand what is SHOULD look like - is this what it should look like:[frame]Image[/frame]
d_harris
Minor Legend

Re: Emergency Exhaust Question

Post by d_harris »

Essentially, but theres no gasket.

Make sure that the mounting flanges are not bent and are free of dried on, yucky exhaust paste and carefully line them up (I find a trolley jack to be really handy for this) and use a new clamp to join them together. This should be gas tight.

If its not gas tight then a small smear of exhaust paste around the flanges should do the job - but its preferable not to.

Arthurdaily
Minor Addict

Post by Arthurdaily »

I am presuming that you push the 'lip' of both the manifold and exhaust together then put the bracket around it and tighten. Tightening will bring the two lips together because the bracket is concave inside. Is this right?

Now, about sealants, Is there supposed to be a gasket between the lips of the manifold and exhaust? Do you smeal the assembly with exhaust sealant before putt ing the bracket back on and tightening?

I think that is all for now, thank you so much in advance - mergency help required as being poisened to and from work!

Thanks.
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict

Post by Arthurdaily »

Ah, thank you, gasket question answered before I'd even submitted second bit of post - thanks - no gasket eh? So would you use exhaust sealer putty between them or anything?
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

I was editing as you second posted :lol:

Arthurdaily
Minor Addict

Post by Arthurdaily »

lol - it IS an easy job for a semi-novice this isn't it?
mogbob
Minor Legend

Post by mogbob »

Following d_harrris's instructions it will be easy, like most things on a Moggie.

When you've succesfully completed it, just do a double check on the exhaust hangers ( 2 rubber type straps, clamped around the pipe and bolted to the body ) further back down the exhaust pipe to make sure they are still sound.
If you put the passenger side wheels on the pavement( just ) handbrake on, you can crawl underneath and check things out without having to jack the car up.If you do this choose a quiet local road and don't leave you legs sticking out in the road.
jacking up ?Then solid level ground, chock wheels with wooden blocks or a couple of bricks, handbrake on and put the car on axle stands DON@T rely on just the jack whatever you do.
Bob
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Place a scissor jack under the front pipe and jack the exhaust pipe up until it is lined up with the manifold then fit the clamp. Make sure that you use brass nuts or it will never come apart again
[sig]3580[/sig]
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

There is a tip in the technical tips section on here about fitting an additional piece of copper wire which I found works quite well.
http://www.mmoc.org.uk/index.php?page=336
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If you don't have ant exhaust paste to hand silicone sealer works well, bath sealer whatever. Silicone has no problem with exhaust heat.
Jam a bit of wood or something in to give some clearance where the pipe exits the engine bay or it will rattle.
Remove before running the engine of course.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Great drawing - I like it! As others have said - the two parts must be clean/undamaged, a smear of exhaust paste on the surfaces - jack them together firmly - another smear of paste around the outside of the join - fit the clamp. Simples!
ImageImage
Arthurdaily
Minor Addict

Post by Arthurdaily »

Brilliant everybody, thank you very much... I have got stable ground, but not level... but lots of axel stands and TWO jacks and only one side up at a time! lol

Exhaust sealant round lips, round join and then bracket with brass nuts.

Brill!

Cheers everybody :D