Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
polo2k
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

Renting a garage

Post by polo2k »

Hi all,

I have just been chatting with someone who has a garage coming up for rent soon. it is in a very convenient location for me and is pretty secure (as well as being overlooked by neighbours). It would NOT have power, but I am only thinking of storage.
What is a fair price to pay for rent? £10 a week?

The garage is a modern single, that is part of a block. It has a normal metal door with a ground pin for security. Dimensions are approx 2.5mx 4.5m (same as my current one) .

If you are renting, please let me know what your paying so that I dont spend unnessesarily.

Also is there any kind of generic contract to protect us both? can I get one online?
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Renting a garage

Post by aupickup »

en block garages normally in the sussex area are between £9,00 to £10.00 per week
RobThomas
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by RobThomas »

Farm near me charges £250 per year for enough room for a car and an aeroplane. Very secure. Worth thinking about?
Cardiff, UK
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Are your spare parts REALLY worth £500 a year to store them........ What would a small unit in a storage facility cost ?
ImageImage
polo2k
Minor Addict

Post by polo2k »

this garage is probably under 500 Yds from my door and the space would mean I would have more room to work on Igor. Maybe £500 is worth my enjoyment in the garage over the winter months, rather than wishing I had the space to be out there. It would also put Mona in a more secure and more suitable place, in the last 12 months the moisture from being outside has dulled the paint right off, She has recieved knocks from passers by too :evil:

So In answer to your question BM, I suppose it is worth that to me overall.
- Ash
  • [MONA] - 1963 4 door saloon
    [IGOR] - 1970 trav (In Surgery)
    [GOLFIE] - 2001 Golf GT TDi 200 (my daily "fix")
- The only way your guarenteed to fail, is never to try! -
Image Image Image
Click on the middle pic for progress!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

If you can get 2 cars in it, then it's a bargain.
Still good if you can get one car and a bunch of parts under cover.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
peterpimlico
Minor Friendly

Post by peterpimlico »

I pay £10 per week 'winter storage'. During the rest of the year I use a breathable cover, and leave the car on my drive. The winter storage facility is in a large Hanger type building which will accommodate about 30 cars. The owner also stores damaged cars for insurance companies at the rate of ....... wait for it! ............. £20 PER DAY.
Regards ... Peter

Regards ...... Peter
SGTBILKO
Minor Fan

Post by SGTBILKO »

I have just found a garage five doors away for 32,50 Euros a month, not cheap but better for peace of mind and so convenient.
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

I rent 2 side by side within a few hundred yards from the house for £30 each per month, but I know that new customers now pay £35. Im hoping to get my new 4 car!!! garage built at the house within the next few months, plans have been submitted to the council and now waiting patiently.

Too many Minors so little time.....
Gilesv
Minor Friendly

Post by Gilesv »

Winchester City Council charge £10.48 per week inc VAT (VAT payable by non Council tenants) They have been jacking the price up considerably in the last 3 to 4 years. Before that it was less than £6! They then wondered why huge numbers of people started giving up their garages..
Trabantdave
Minor Friendly

Post by Trabantdave »

I rent mine from Hillingdon council, quiet safe location & waterproof, 12quid a week which includes VAT, close to my flat-bargain! I was paying 60 pounds a month for a damp hovel with resident rodents where i used to live-rotten wood doors that I had to repair to make secure, the owner promised to reimburse me for time and materials but never did.... so when I gave it up I left it full of crap hahahaha

Dave