1961 2-door saloon (Sidney)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1961 2-door saloon (Sidney)

Post by Sidney'61 »

I've spent today T-cutting the paintwork, the more I polish it up the more I'm regretting not taking it all back to bare metal as a lot of dents and scratches from under the previous paintjob are starting to show up as i think the previous respray was even shoddier than my attempt! Ah well, I'm still quite proud of it so far as a first attemp and will certainly learn from my mistakes! :)
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

We need some pictures Andy!!

Keep up the good work 8)

Too many Minors so little time.....
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I've just finished polishing and waxing it all up :D
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
I was tempted to just post the photos with no comments as the camera makes it look perfect! up close there are quite a few blemishes but overall it's quite good and is fantastic from a distance! I suppose in a way it's good that the paint isn't perfect as there is no way my pockets are deep enough to replace any of the original pitted chrome so a perfect paint job would just show it up! also hopefully the car will be used regularly and will probably be parked outside all year round.
The rebuilding should be commencing soon and the new wiring loom is currently spread across the living room floor just awaiting indicator (both flasher and trafficator) wires to be added :D :D
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

That looks really good! Don't forget to pick up the wiring loom - we don't want any more broken bones! :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thanks Lou! I've already tripped over it at least once myself!
Here it is in it's current state (excuse the pun :P)[frame]Image[/frame]

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Named sticky labels attached to the relevant wires help expecially when you're upside down under the car covered in wires :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Today I fitted the wing piping, I didn't expect that I'd be able to find a matching colour so was going to use contrasting black but it turns out that the grey piping I picked up at the national a few years ago is actually an almost perfect match :D[frame]Image[/frame]
It actually looks like a minor now :)[frame]Image[/frame]
I've drilled the necessary holes now to fit rear seatbelts, the next jobs are the headlining and windscreens :-?

Dean
Minor Legend

Post by Dean »

That's looking dead smart... nice work. :D
My Minor:
A Clarendon Grey 1953 4 Door Series II.
MMOC - 66535

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

That looks fantastic! You're at about the same point in your project as I am with mine... :lol: Soon you'll be able to drive it!
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

looking great :D

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Now getting on with fitting the roof lining.[frame]Image[/frame] Here's the old yellowed one I removed last year compared to the new one about to be fitted, 50 years above the driver's head probably exposed to a lot of tobacco smoke has certainly affected the colour!
I've got the back edge fitted tight around the rear window but unfortunately I've lost the sping clips for the front edge, is there a simple DIY substitute I can easily get hold of? as I'd rather not order them on line and wait for them to arrive. :(

dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

I haven't tried this but I wonder if a self tapper up through one of the rear view mirror holes or the sun visor mounting holes would hold it temporarily. The clips aren't that complex but I can't find a picture of one anywhere.

Anyone else?
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thanks for the reply dp :) but I managed to find the clips in the end (of course I wasn't looking for them at the time ;) ) so I've now got the lining fitted[frame]Image[/frame] There are still a few creases that need ironing out so I'll have a go at tightening the strings again.

One rear quarter panel has now been put together so the interior is just about finished now :)[frame]Image[/frame]
And the wiring loom is bound up now ready for fitting :D[frame]Image[/frame]
I did however decide I wasnt happy with the finish of the engine bay so I've stripped it all back again and am in the process of respraying, of course though as happens every year I'm getting back into my stride now but will be going back to uni tomorrow so progress will once again have to stop :(

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Im back! :D
As Im now working at university over summer I have even less time to spend at home working on the car, I managed to get a weeks work in before the national and have been back for a couple of weekends since so he's slowly coming back together.
The new wiring loom is now in place, except the dash so it's currently untested.
This was converted to have flashing indicators by a previous owner and the trafficators were disconnected, I've incorporated both into the new loom so trafficators have been refitted and the indicators have been redesigned to look a bit tidier and more original.[frame]Image[/frame] I replaced the large later indicator units with the smaller type and original side light lens and fitted headlights from a mini with built in sidelights, a plate had to be made so that the small unit would fit in the larger cut hole.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
On the back we fitted original rear lights with clear lens indicators on top[frame]Image[/frame]
I'm pretty chuffed overall with how well the home-made wiring loom has fit :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Great progress Andy, keep at it 8)

Too many Minors so little time.....
stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

great stuff. looking well

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Remember me? :D

3 years after the start of the this thread and 6 years after the start of the restoration I've finally finished university and am back home to continue work :)
I started with some easy jobs to get back into the swing so the engine is repainted and looking very snazzy[frame]Image[/frame]
I could then assemble the front end [frame]Image[/frame]
Seeing it looking nearly complete has given me a boost to get on with all of the more frustrating jobs :P
Tomorrow's tasks will be to complete and test the wiring, then maybe attempt a bit more window fitting...

Daddybear1984
Minor Fan

Post by Daddybear1984 »

looks great and good job with the wiring that is one part of my resto i am not looking forward to but my father inlaw was a sparky for the army so he should have fun with that ;)

getting closer to being on the road by the looks of it

kind regards

Scott

When you're in up over your head, the first thing to do is close your mouth.
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Today I finally managed to fit a battery and test my wiring loom. I'm really pleased :D[frame]Image[/frame]
The headlights and 'hidden' indicators are great and clearer than I expected.[frame]Image[/frame]
And working trafficators :P[frame]Image[/frame]

GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I'm guessing the trafficators stay on while the indicators blink?

That must look awesome, great work.
Gabriel