Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Large bore exhaust

Post by Sidney'61 »

My 1275 has a large bore exhaust system fitted and has done since i've owned it, this is however rather brittle and has already snapped twice so needs replacing. How much does the large bore affect the performance? would the midget engine just be suffocated with a standard exhaust? the reason I ask is that I cant afford a whole new large bore system and the standard is so much cheaper! Also, are the usual minor parts suppliers the best place to buy exhausts from?

Thanks
Andy
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Large bore exhaust

Post by bmcecosse »

If it's just a standard Midget engine, then it won't be too badly restricted, although obviously it won't help! Can you not just weld/strengthen the exhaust you have?
Last edited by bmcecosse on Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

My large bore LCB system has been on the car since Jan 06 with no problems. Can you just replace the offending section?
[sig]3580[/sig]
PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Birmingham MMC sell the large bore in mild steel and in sections. Very cheap :-)
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

By the way I can't weld so whatever I do its going to cost to get it sorted out, my main worry is that this is the second time it has snapped and in a different place so I just fear that the whole thing is just too brittle and wonder if I get it welded up how long will it be before another part fails. I'll try and get a quote to weld it back on and we'll see what happens :-?
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

actually I'm looking into the birmingham mmc option now thanks Rich, it may sound silly but is it ok to add a mild steel section into the stainless system?

PSL184
Minor Legend

Post by PSL184 »

Sidney'61 wrote:is it ok to add a mild steel section into the stainless system?
Perectly acceptable - I've got a stainless LCB and the BMMC system on my black traveller - been on for about 2 years now and its still looking the same as when it went on. If yours is fracturing it would imply that it is fitted too rigidly and not being allowed to flex with the engine / body movement. I'd suggest looking at a new set of the correct mounts.....
[sig]8426[/sig]

Compare the Minors - Simples !! http://mog.myfreeforum.org/index.php
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it's the 'Falcon' system - I think others have also reported cracking problems......
ImageImage
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

What is the Falcon system and how would one know if one had it?
[sig]3580[/sig]
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

the 'falcon' one is the MMCB one. It has a little rectangular plate welded on saying 'FALCON'. Maniflow ones (i presume) have a 'MANIFLOW' plate welded on.

I'm not sure it's a particular fault with the Falcon one, more in how well it's fitted. If you fit a large bore system in the same way as a standard system, the manifold will fracture at the front due to the weight of the front silencer bouncing and flexing. If an extra strap is put at the front, just infront of the front silencer, then no fracturing should occur.

If you fit a Maniflow one badly, it'll fracture too. It's the nature of stainless steel.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Mine is the Birmingham system.The only complaint I have is the way that the section over the axle is joined to the front silencer section where it slopes up to the axle, and in order to get the pipe to fit over the axle I have had to twist the silencer so that it is almost on its side and only just misses the chassis crossmember. It would seem far more logical to join the pipes on the straight section behind the silencer then they could be twisted to any required angle
[sig]3580[/sig]
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

If I do just replace the front section how do I go about separating it from the back section? They've obviously been connected for a long time!

P.S. I'm at my student address so very limited on tools!

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

heat, soak with oil, hit with hammer, swear, repeat.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Kick the hub caps and have a cup of tea
[sig]3580[/sig]
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

Just to confirm but do you have a Triple branch (lcb) front exhaust OR a mini/marina manifold with big bore down pipe, attached to a big-bore system?
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I have an lcb manifold. I've now managed to get it all apart in the correct places and have ordered a new front section :)

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

If you are looking to replace the LCB version and have a fairly standard Midget engine - I'd certainly recommend a Marina style manifold and large bore (single) pipe.
The Midget runs much better than people expect with the Minor 1000 carb/manifold/zaust.

If I'm correct you can mix and match the Marina manifold + large front pipe in place of the LCB and keep the remainder of the large bore exhaust.
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(