Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mickeytwonames
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Radial Tyres - Help

Post by mickeytwonames »

What is the advice on fitting 165 x 65r 14 tyres to a minor saloon - the part worn man near me (used him before for other tyres) has 5 - fitted,balanced with new valves all for just £60 cash. He has no 165 x 70s which I understand is the preferred spec. Any help most welcome
Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Re: Radial Tyres - Help

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Are you fitting these to standard minor rims or wide van / banded wheels. If standard wheel rims then 165's are too wide! You need 155's or 145's. If you do indeed have the wider rims, then the only issue will be a slightly lower profile tyre, and i cant see why that would be any major issue, slightly lower gearing i suppose.
___Anne___

green123
Minor Fan

Post by green123 »

i have 165x65 r14 tyres on my morris minor on standard rims they do fit and have no problems apart from the tyre dosent fit under the boot floor
//no.comment
Minor Friendly

Post by //no.comment »

i also have 165s on my car, standard rims, did 7k last year like that no problem, id say go for it, the price doesnt seem bad.
they are also 65r on the front aswell, so the same as what you are looking to buy, they do look a little bulgy on the wheel tho as the lower aspect shows it up more

beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

If you depart from standard sizes you need to notify your insurance company.
I wouldn't advise anything but standard, just cos they fit doesn't make them right.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

165 x 65 are definitely far too wide for 3 1/2" wide rims! A 165 tyre is 6.5 " wide - on a 3.5" wide rim is just madness - the car must wobble about like a jelly...... 155s are bad enough on standard rims - spot-on with 4.5" rims though! Much steadier.
ImageImage
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Back to the point about insurance.

If the tyres are not as recommended by the vehicle manufacturer - or, given that the original crossplies are virtually unobtainable now - the nearest acceptable radial alternative, in the event of an accident, the wrong size tyres can invalidate your policy.

I have been told that even the wrong speed rating on the right size tyre is enough to give the insurance company an excuse not to pay out. BE WARNED!

//no.comment
Minor Friendly

Post by //no.comment »

Note taken about the insurance, they were originally on the car when i brought it. they were all brand new, they still had the stickers on! so didnt really wanna shell out on a set of new tyres!

Ive just measured one of the rims and its 4" wide, from outer face to outer face, is that wider than normal?

beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

No, the measurement is taken inside, where the tyre bead would sit, so 3 1/2" would be about right.

//no.comment
Minor Friendly

Post by //no.comment »

Ok, looks like im off too the tyre fitters tomorrow!

Just to be clear, either 145s or 155s, full profile tyres?
I cant believe i never noticed something was up! You live and learn everyday eh!

drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

As bmc says, I just looked on our tyre bible for Fedral tyres and for 165/65/14 the approved rim width is Min: 4 Max:5
Last edited by drivewasher on Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Ideal for going on van rims then.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

I suggest that you should also read the very recent thread

http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41446

about the decision between tubed and tubeless. Be warned that very few tyre suppliers know enough about old wheel profiles to advise you reliably.

Kevin
drivewasher
Minor Addict

Post by drivewasher »

Don't really see what you mean re the other post. Thats mainly about tubless v tubed tyres
We operate a tyre bay and we advise customers correcty. Everything we do is to british standards and ETRTO guidlines!

Alan Pearse
Minor Friendly

Post by Alan Pearse »

Modern tyres by desgin are tubless anyway, tubing a modern tyre is not recomended mainly due to modern construction of tyres and wheels, which are designed to be tubeless, and repaired without tubes. The older riveted and split rims should be tubed as should cross plys, as the tube gives support for that type of tyre. My opion it's madness to use cross plys when modern radial tyres in sutable sizes are commonly available. Look out the purists are about to shoot me down, i've got a 54 Series II running on 1000 rims shod with 155x14s anything bigger and you start to get problems, i think. My son had a custom 68 pick up shod with MGB GT wheels 185 60 14s fitted fine on the back but caused no end of problems on the front until he found the correct width of spacers to use.
Alan Pearse
Register of the
Series II
Saloon & Convertible
Register
autolycus
Minor Addict

Post by autolycus »

drivewasher wrote:Don't really see what you mean re the other post. Thats mainly about tubless v tubed tyres
We operate a tyre bay and we advise customers correcty. Everything we do is to british standards and ETRTO guidlines!
Indeed it is: but the OP, who was clearly not too familiar with some aspects of tyre choice, may not have thought about the advantages and disadvantages of tubed and tubeless tyres. While your tyre company may be able to explain them to customers, I am suggesting that many can't or won't do so.

If a customer comes to you with a Morris Minor saloon, on original wheels, and simply asks for a set of tyres, what size and construction would you recommend? Tubed or tubeless?

In reply to Alan: tubeless crossplies have been around for many years, and when radials became more common in the sixties, some regarded the associated return to tubes as a somewhat retrograde step.

Kevin
Neil MG
Minor Legend

Post by Neil MG »

I think the point was that they were tube tyre rims not tubeless rims. That said I don't suppose a tubed tyre is any less likely to come unseated than a tubeless and hence the lack of concern regarding fitting tubeless tyres. I have crossplys (Dunlop D75 tubeless) on my series II that I use as my daily driver. I like the look and the feeling they give and I think it very much suits the car. With the 803cc engine there is not too much chance of getting into trouble! I'm not saying that I recommend this to others; I don't have seatbelts or flashers either. The car is pretty much as it left the factory and that to me is very much the appeal. Real nostalgia, but still a very use-able everyday car.
1956 Morris Minor Series II
1959 MGA 1600 Roadster
1966 Jaguar Mk2 3.8 MOD
chrisd87
Minor Addict

Post by chrisd87 »

Were radial tyres ever offered as an option extra on Minors? If so, does anyone know what size was recommended by the factory? The Dunlop crossplies offerd by Minor spares places are 5.2 inches wide, which is only 132mm. In the light of this, 165s would definitely be too big at more than an inch wider than what the rim was designed for.
[img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/DSC00749.jpg[/img][img]http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c390/chrisd87/med_gallery_128_45_1416415.jpg[/img]
Sarah - 1970 Minor 1000 2-dr
Maggie - 1969 Minor 1000 4-dr
LouiseM

Post by LouiseM »

chrisd87 wrote:Were radial tyres ever offered as an option extra on Minors? If so, does anyone know what size was recommended by the factory?
Dunlop SP 145-14 radials became available late in production.

Eric - 1971 Traveller
IaininTenbury
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by IaininTenbury »

Read somewhere that Panda cars (or some of them) were specified with Michelin X tyres from new (one would assume in 145 size). Presumably the Police would have the latest in tyre safety as well as visual safety with reflective number plates.
cheers
Iain
Fairmile Restorations.

'49 MM, '53 convertible, '55 van, and a '64 van.

Marina p.u., '56 Morris Isis Traveller, a '59 Morris JB van, a'66 J4 van, a '54 Land Rover, Land Rover 130, Renault 5, '36Railton, '35 Hudson, a Mk1 Transit and a Sherpa Camper...

A car can be restored at any time, but is only original once!