White 1000 Traveller - FYY 809J

Questions about History or requests for information (does anyone know where my car is now?) can go here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
brucek
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: No

White 1000 Traveller - FYY 809J

Post by brucek »

Looking for my first car! A Snowberry white late 1000 Traveller which I sold to a nice guy in Newark in late 1987/early 1988.

I think I was the second owner of the car, the first owner having driven it up from Chiselhurst in Surrey. I bought it in Waddington, near Lincoln in 1985 before I passed my test and spent many hours making sure it was ready to go when I did. Just missed MOT 85 to Interlaken.

During my ownership it completed two Overseas Trips in 1986 to Ribeauville and in 1987 to St Remy near Avignon in the deep south of France, as well as a host of regional and national rallies. I even managed to get a small piece in Minor Matters (Nov/Dec 1985)

Checking the DVLA database it is currently on a SORN. If you know where this car is or you know the owner, it would be great to be in touch. If it is for sale I'd be very interested to buy the car back and could ensure it will have a good home!

Have attached a picture from the early days of my ownership.

Thanks

Bruce[frame]Image[/frame]

wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Re: White 1000 Traveller - FYY 809J

Post by wheelynutz »

Free bumpty bump :D
I have looked and you old mog has had 7 owners and is currently unlicensed as the sorn ran out on the 1/10/2011.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for you and good luck with the search :D

James
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Where did you find the number of former owners from?

wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

I was waiting for that
If you go on ebay and click on the sell bit next to my ebay at the top, then sell car or motorbike, select classic car (or just car if its modern/ish) and all the following options, then when you go continue the next page asks for the reg number, type it in and enter it and then click show details and it tells you how many owners its had and a bit more info like engine size year of first registration etc... :D
Sold a few cars on there and that is how i found out.
And all the car reg's i've put in work, even imports that don't work on any other searches i.e. eunos's (mx5's in english) and rx7's.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Excellent - never knew that you could do that and I bet not many others know that too. The bad news is that with at least 5 owners between me and the current owners it may be even harder to track the old girl down. I'm sure somebody must know where it has been or has seen it about in the last 24 years? :(

I put a bit in the magazine this time round hoping to catch the eye of a member who perhaps didn't use the forum but no responses as yet! Maybe they are not a member after all?

Of course, what I really need is a friendly bod who works for the DVLA...... (only kidding - honest :D )

wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

I think 5 owners in 24 years isn't too bad to me, so it should have been well cared for in theory (he says).
And i wish a had a friend who works for the DVLA it would be so much easier but i think that is worth a go, you never know without trying.
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Yes I think you are right - I was pleasantly surprised to see that it had such a current history. I'm sure it is out there. You never know, it might be on e -bay tomorrow!

DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

if you contact the DVLA for a form ( cant remember the number) you can pay £5 and get all of the details of the previous owners, but you have to provide a valid reason. someone will know the number of the form, you can download it from the DVLA site.

wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

I think i have found the one you are talking about.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItO ... G_10016794
I might do this as well to trace the owners of my mog to verify the mileage and get more history on it.
:D :D :D :D :D
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Excellent - thanks to you both for that - £5 well spent in my view. Hope I can make the reason good enough to tell me all the details!

wheelynutz
Minor Friendly

Post by wheelynutz »

One step closer to finding your old mog :D
DaisyMayFozz
Minor Fan

Post by DaisyMayFozz »

Thats the one!

Good Luck!

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Will keep you posted via the forum - if it works it could help others too. :wink:

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Request to DVLA sent today along with my £5. keeping my fingers crossed for some useful information :-?

Thanks to all for steering me to the DVLA enquiries

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Well, not good news on the search for my first Morris. Have had a reply back from DVLC and they are unable to give me any details of the current keeper and have returned my £5 cheque. A combination of data protection plus not a good enough reason to divulge the information are the main causes. They also would not forward my request for info to the current owner so that he/she could get in touch if they wished to.

So, where am I? I now know it has had 7 owners, was on a SORN until 31st October 2011and is currently unlicenced, have put requests for further info on the forum and via Minor Matters ... and that's about it :(

Seems that my thought that the current owner might be a member of the club has proved false as have had no positive ID from the little bit in the latest Minor Matters. Will keep scouring e-bay and the classic car sales sites in the vain hope it might come up but not sure there is much more I can do now.

Any other ideas out there?

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Try and contact the last but one owner and ask who he sold it to. Then see if you can trace the car from there.

Or ask a friendly member of the boys in blue ;-)
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Unfortunately I was the second owner and have lost the details of who I sold it to back in 1988. :x have no viable leads to go on so either need an insider at DVLA or, as you say, a friendly copper!

singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Dont give up hope on finding it, I looked for years for my morris minor which used to belong to my late grandfather and my dad and I did find it 19 years after my dad sold it. My cars last tax was in 1987 which is pre SORN rules but dont let the fact that your old traveller is currentley unlicensed put you off. Its had a very recent sorn which is good news so it may be that the current keeper has simply forgot to re sorn it. Another scenario is if it is currentley in the hands of a trader it would not be required to be sorn and would sit as unlicenced. I would ring DVLA and ask them if it is at trade status or has a recent scrap marker against it, im sure they will tell you this as they are not giving any keeper detail out. Anyway I really hope you find your car, wish you luck with it.
[sig]10193[/sig]
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Don't worry - I won't be giving up. :D One way or another I'll find it!

Thanks for the positive commenst though.

singleton
Minor Fan

Post by singleton »

Anymore joy with your search?
[sig]10193[/sig]