Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: Dutone newton commercial seats

Post by Sidney'61 »

It shouldn't be too hard to do, I'd never follow the 'easier to pay somebody...' method it's so much more rewarding, satisfying and of course kind on the wallet to have a go at things yourself, I've tried my best to have a go at literally everything on my car.
If you're doing standard style seats in duotone I think the way to get it would be to put both the coloured and white material face-to-face and stitch a straight line then fold the coloured side out, this would give you an invisible stitch.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

ben_minor_63 wrote:oh lol, if i was you i would go almond green like myn, and interior dutone ( only if the body number has D stamped on) go for newton commercial's suffolk reclyning seats maybe more expensive but worth it for comfort etc
you're right about it being only on deluxe models but they seemed to have a habit in the early 60s of not bothering to put the 'D' on the chassis number even if it was deluxe :wink: Saying that, newton comm don't actually sell the correct non-duotone interior for standard spec cars, they just assume all are deluxe!
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

What newtons don't do the correct duo tone, hope all my duo tone is correct

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

Smart, Sidney! I might just give that a shot sometime. Mog's seats are non-standard, but close enough.

Ben -- Newton does do the correct duotone (I think I'm interpreting this correctly), but they don't do NON-duotone seats. Also...with shipping to the States a set of seats from Newton would cross the $1000 mark...and I'm very much a pauper. Also, with Customs, probably not any easier than making them myself (or having a qualified upholsterer here do it).
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

We have now sorted the frames out they were the wrong way around so the seats now will be level

Alex'n'Ane
Minor Legend

Post by Alex'n'Ane »

Fingolfin wrote:Smart, Sidney! I might just give that a shot sometime. Mog's seats are non-standard, but close enough.

Ben -- Newton does do the correct duotone (I think I'm interpreting this correctly), but they don't do NON-duotone seats.
No, they do. Andy is just being abit of an anorak, non delux should have plain door cards rather than sectional ones.
Also how you managed to mount them the wrong way round is a mystery..
___Anne___

ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

We heven't even mounted them yet, on the picture they are the wrong way around.

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

What's an anorak? :cry:
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

An anorak = "a person with an obsessive interest in something"! :wink: :D

Ben. I have the Suffolk Newton Commercial seats in both my cars. They came attached to the metal bases. We simply removed the old seats and replaced them with the new ones. We did however have to drill 2 more holes as the Newtons require 4 holes (2 rear). Did you take them apart for some reason?
Last edited by ASL642 on Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

No they came like that, they have the holes already in the seat bases ready to bolt the seat on.

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Alex'n'Ane wrote:
Fingolfin wrote:Smart, Sidney! I might just give that a shot sometime. Mog's seats are non-standard, but close enough.

Ben -- Newton does do the correct duotone (I think I'm interpreting this correctly), but they don't do NON-duotone seats.
No, they do. Andy is just being abit of an anorak, non delux should have plain door cards rather than sectional ones.
:lol: Thanks Alex but Fin was right, only deluxe cars came with duotone, on standard models the seats were the same pattern but all one colour and not duotone, newton don't sell that pattern interior in the non-duotone style at all.[frame]Image[/frame]Deluxe____________________________________________Standard

ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

We now have the seats in the car.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Before they went in[frame]Image[/frame]

dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

they look great i have a set in my car they are great .
[sig]5641[/sig]
simona1
Minor Fan
Location: Chairman West Yorkshire MMOC, Ossett, Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Post by simona1 »

Your seats look great but do you mind me asking how much you paid I really want some.

Jonah681
Minor Fan

Post by Jonah681 »

Glad you did the rear seat too. It really sets the car off. Looking good
brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

Have to say they are really really nice seats and what makes them better is the unusual design - in keeping with the duotone original but modern looking too. I am definitely going to put a set in my convertible but in blue rather than green. I was also really pleased they went as far as the rear set too which I hadn't realised from your earlier posts. For me, they are the best looking replacement seats I have seen. As with simona1 - I would really appreciate knowing how much these cost - would be grateful for a pm if you are willing to disclose. No matter what I think they finish the car off beautifully and guarantee your car will attract lots of attention as a result. :wink:

hanvyj
Minor Fan

Post by hanvyj »

You can see the prices on the Newton Comertial website. It will be in the £2000+ range for full leather interior! I love them, but I don't think I can justify an interior worth more than the rest of the car put together!
ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

for the front seats in leather we paid 1500. we brought the rest of the interior as well in leather. in total it cost a few pounds short of £2500 but it's worth every penny. And i have told my Grandad. the thing which will make this car known is the interior. i've never seen duotoned newtons before in a minor.

brucek
Minor Addict

Post by brucek »

I think it looks excellent and whilst they are clearly expensive, if you are not intending to sell the car but want to keep it for many years, the personalised interior is a lovely feature. Thanks for posting the photo's - I'm not going to get tired of looking at them and will post some of mine in blue when I get them done. How long did you have to wait from order to delivery? just so I can factor that into my plans? :wink:

ben_minor_63
Minor Fan

Post by ben_minor_63 »

newton commercials is the best company for interiors. very helpful. they tell u when the seats are coming, time, what company. We had them a week early. so it took 5 weeks i think.