Emily's new interior

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Emily's new interior

Post by Sidney'61 »

Hi :D
I thought I'd just show off what I've been working on for the last couple of weeks. I've been after some snazzy new seats to replace the cloth metro ones I had fitted and was hoping for an upgrade to leather, though it's quite difficult to find modern leather seats that fold for access in the back of a 2-door! I finally found what I wanted in the form of those from a Ford KA :)[frame]Image[/frame]They took fairly minor alteration as I managed to use the original ford feet but bolted back on in different positions so as to line up with the original holes in the minor floorpan. The rear seat was fitted with the ford back rests screwed on to a standard wooden back from a saloon rear seat and the base foam and cover fitted to the wooden base from a traveller which still slots neatly in the back of a saloon but gives more strength.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]I'm really quite proud of how well they fit and improve the car's appearance and also how comfortable they are (they are even height adjustable :P )

As we knew it would be a difficult job to find matching fabric to make doorcards with we took an alternative approach...
we fitted fish tanks :roll:[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame] It might not be everyone's cup of tea but I'm pretty happy with it :D
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

aupickup
Minor Maniac

Re: Emily's new interior

Post by aupickup »

the seats look good
WPR678B
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by WPR678B »

Looking good Andy! :D

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

aupickup wrote:the seats look good
Thanks :) So I assume you mean you really don't like the door cards :D :P
WPR678B wrote:Looking good Andy! :D
It's always nice to have the previous owner's approval ;) the metro seats have now been rehomed in the traveller.

I quite like this picture Ben took at MADMOG yesterday. I was obviously very lucky with picking KA seats as they fit brilliantly in the car. I do still need to remove those old seat belt housings though :roll:[frame]Image[/frame]
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

These seats look brilliant and the door cards match my toilet seat :D
]
ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Love the new look seats Andy and the "different" door cards. Are they a plastic or a fabric?

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Hi Lou,
The cards are just PVC wipeclean table cloth material, hence they're such a vibrant colour :D and easy to keep clean :P it was just supposed to be cheap and temporary until I found a matching material for the seats but I quite like it now :D

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

This is mainly for the benefit of Charlie who was asking about the fitment of the seats.
My aim was to try and make use of what came with the seats originally.[frame]Image[/frame]
This is the orginal layout of the feet as fitted in a Ford Ka, obviously the floor pan is a very strange shape!
Each foot was initially removed. The two identical feet on the right-hand side were re-fitted on the very front of the runners pointing inwards, miraculously this width then lines up perfectly with the original holes[frame]Image[/frame]
I then used the wide foot seen on the left-hand side mounted onto box section joining the very rear of the runners to provide a central foot with the intention of creating as much rear foot space as possible.[frame]Image[/frame]
It's a lot sturdier than it may look but I'm still working on other designs for a better rear passenger friendly arrangement :)

Apologies the latter pictures were taken on my phone.

don58van
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by don58van »

Emily's interior looks fantastic. Very well done!

The door cards remind me of those popular aquarium (computer) screensavers.

Cheers
Don
Robbiet9999
Minor Fan

Post by Robbiet9999 »

love it. was going to try a seat out of my wifes ka (SHE DOESNT KNOW YET) so you have saved me a job. the door cards are fabulous. now just got to find a set of red leather seats from a ka.
Henrietta
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Robbiet9999 wrote:love it. was going to try a seat out of my wifes ka (SHE DOESNT KNOW YET) so you have saved me a job. the door cards are fabulous. now just got to find a set of red leather seats from a ka.
Hiya, I believe you can get completely red leather seats in the StreetKa, they are a slightly different style but I assume the fitment will be similar (though there's no rear seat). For seats in exactly the same style as mine the closest option is one from a SportKa which is black with red inserts and stitching.
I was originally looking for the black with blue inserts for mine but I'm really glad the cream ones came up and i risked it as they probably suit the car better!

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

There's a set on Ebay at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-SPORT-KA ... 2576f8c5b3

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thats the one :) starting bid is 5 times what I paid for mine though :lol:

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Still a lot cheaper than NC though :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

For the benefit of James who asked about the rear foot arrangement, I have fitted a better foot since the last photographs were taken (and found a better camera).
I made two legs from box section welded to the original runners, these are attached to a steel strip which can bolt to the floor, I angled this strip to accommodate for the sloping floor of a saloon. This is now very sturdy and does not get in the way of rear passengers feet.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

or if you want a slightly easier life you can see how chris did his here :P https://sites.google.com/site/blueymorrisminor/interior

Slingers0710

Post by Slingers0710 »

Thanks for all the help! My Step Dad and I have fitted my Ford Ka seats now. They are the from the sports version and I think they look pretty neat! :)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]