Discuss Electrical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Trickydicky
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Temp Gauge and 948cc Engine

Post by Trickydicky »

I should imagine someone has fitted a Temp Gauge to a 948cc engine? If so how did you achieve this? Did you use a electric gauge or a capillary gauge?

The only way I can see to fit an electric one is to fit a hose adaptor on the top hose for the sensor.

As for the capillary gauge how would you fit the tube into the top hose? Also with a capillary gauge would you need to take a feed from the 10v regulator behind the speedo?

Thanks
Richard
Richard

Opinions are like people,everyone can be different.
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Re: Temp Gauge and 948cc Engine

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Fit a capillary gauge which is essentially a thermometer and will give a reading regardless of ign being on/off.

Someone on the forum (sorry - can't remember who) suggested to me to buy a Minor bottom hose with heater take off, cut this to size so it'll fit in place of the existing top hose, and use a jubilee clip to hold the probe in place. It works well!

P.S. Do not bend the capillary tube at right angles, it must curve gently or you will damage it.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I used the cut bottom hose method many many moons ago. It works. You can get a thermostat cover with a temp gauge tapping. Better still - fit a Mini 998 cylinder head complete with tapping for the sender/sensor.
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Thanks guys for the advice, think I will try the top hose modification unless I can pick up a 998cc cylinder head reasonably cheaply.
I had a scout around for a thermostat housing which would accept a sensor but they are like hens teeth :D also had a look around the mini sites as I read you could get one that accepted a sensor but no joy.

Thanks again.
Richard
Richard

Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Hi,

Well the gauge is now fitted and working, bought one from a local motor factors for £30. I couldnt find a bezel for it so I made one from 1mm aluminium and painted it black to suit. Ordered a bottom hose and modified it to fit. All up it cost £42. As you can see from the engine pic I had to route the tube around to lose the excess but hey you cant have it all ways :D

Took the car for a run and when warm after running for 10 mins it settled at 60 degrees driving at 30-40mph. Driving at 55mph up the dual carrigeway working the engine the maximum it read was 70 degrees so I can only say thats a result and I presume a 72 degree thermostat is fitted. The reason its reading what it is in the pic is that after arriving back after testing tea was ready and the engine had cooled. But one question, the probe is just poking into the top hose, should more of it be in the water flow? I cant see it making much more of a difference but thought I would ask anyway.

Here are some pics of the install, thanks again for the advice.

Richard
[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Richard

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

It looks neat, and it's working. Sure - you could shorten the 'leg' on the hose and push the probe further in - but as it's working, I suggest leave well alone.
ImageImage
chesney
Minor Legend
Location: Le Tronquay, nr Bayeux, en France - Pop in for a cuppa!

Post by chesney »

That wasn't Stanningley Bypass was it (the dual carriageway) :D
This will be on the list of mods for my 948 now!
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

Hi Chesney,

Certainly was, you should see the looks of surprise when I go sailing past people on the run up from Wickes to Asda :D

Richard
Richard

chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

I tend to use the bypass to get into work (in Morley) and go through Calverley to avoid the atrocious traffic on the way back :roll: And as for Wickes, I generally get cut off by a certain German-car-loving motorist coming out of that roundabout. Might be time for a 1275 upgrade :lol:
Just a question, my temperature gauge is an electric one, and I can't work out how I could get the sensor to stay in the hose as per the picture above. Anyone have an idea of how this could work? I might try the cylinder head from the 'spare' 1098 I have..
And if see you around Tricky, I'll give you a wave :)
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

As its an electric gauge you will need to use a Hose Adaptor,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&v=gNwE3aP1gtQ

I just went the cheapskate route:D mainly due to the "If it aint broke, dont fix it" approach.
Richard

chesney
Minor Legend

Post by chesney »

Ah, thanks Tricky! I bet that brushed aluminium will look a little lost in the engine bay though! :lol: I would like a capillary, but i'm using a combined amp, temp and oil gauge.. Still, watch this space ;)
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

I've wanted a temp gauge on my 948 for a long time. I stumbled upon a "sandwich plate" on a classic mini parts site. Cost was about $22 US. It's the perfect answer.
I didn't want to put an aluminum adapter in the top hose, because I thought it wouldn't leave enough rubber hose to absorb vibrations.
The hose fitting on it can be tapped with a 3/8 pipe tap. I replaced the three studs with 5/16 - 18 bolts, 3 inches long.
I put it in yesterday. Plenty of clearance between the fan and sender.
David[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Yes - that is an accepted method (although a wee bit expensive) - it's actually the heater take off connection for the Mini engine with no bypass hose.
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

After asking the question with this thread and researching, I would have preffered your method but as I could not find an adaptor, opted for the capillary gauge.

Out of curiosity what temp readings do you get when running the engine? mine registers 60 degrees normal running and rises to 70 deg when "working" the engine?

Richard
Richard

David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

I'm still working out the bugs. I have a hodge podge of old instruments. I suspect a bad or mismatched sender. The reading I get rises only to about 55c. I've since put in a higher (192f) thermostat and ordered a new matching gauge and sender.
I've also cut off the hose attachment by about half. That will get the sender deeper into the coolant.
I'll let you know my temps when I get more reliable numbers.
My "sandwich plate" was used, but in very good condition. I thought $20 was a pretty good price.

http://www.7ent.com/products/thermostat ... -used.html

David
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Here is the cut off hose thing. I think it looks a lot more tidy.
Temp is reading a bit higher, 70c.[frame]Image[/frame]
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Is the thermostat under the sensor? Or above -as it is used on the Mini.
ImageImage
David W.
Minor Fan

Post by David W. »

Thermostat is below the sensor, but you are causing me to think that I'll move it above. It will give me temps as the engine is warming up.
Why didn't I think of that?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Indeed....... :wink:
ImageImage
Trickydicky
Minor Legend

Post by Trickydicky »

If I am right in saying, the 948cc engine was not designed to have a temp gauge fitted as standard.
Now that I have fitted one I find myself checking the gauge constantly. But, unless your engine is poorly you are safe in the knowledge that the combination of the size of grill and radiator and the effective fan,cooling on the 948cc engine under normal circumstaces should not be a problem.
Whilst out for a run on Saturday and the air temp was quite warm,combined with some stop,start around town driving and driving at a steady 50mph, engine temp was never an issue.
Thats not to say though that a temp gauge on a 948cc engine is not a valuable addition :P

Richard
Richard