Mystery Clear Liquid

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
rhdalton
MMOC Member: No

Mystery Clear Liquid

Post by rhdalton »

We drip a little oil near the breather tube all the time, but now there is a clear liquid that is with it. We've checked all the liquids -- oil, antifreeze in the radiator, transmission fluid and brake fluid and none of those seem to be low at all. Any idea what this mystery fluid could be? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
simmitc
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by simmitc »

At this time of year it could just be condensation. Also, rain water sometimes manages to get into the chassis leg and then drip out through the designed drainage hole. Just after Halloween, it could be ectoplasm :P
Gareth
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by Gareth »

Sounds very much like it could be condensation. Do you use the car for short trips? If so, it's possible that the over-radiated engine isn't warming up properly and after a few weeks/months you may find icky mayonnaise-type gunk in the underside of the rocker-cover box.

I had that when I first had Phyllis and, knowing it to be a symptom of head-gasket-failure, had kittens... :lol: But it miraculously cleared up all by itself. :D
Happy Minoring!

Phyllis ~ 1962 Morris Minor 4 Door Deluxe
Black coachwork with Red Duo-Tone Upholstery
d_harris
Minor Legend

Post by d_harris »

as far as I know there is nothing in the minors fluid repetoire that is clear, apart from water.

rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

as far as I know there is nothing in the minors fluid repetoire that is clear
brake fluid

radiator fluid should be coloured by the antifreeze - if it isn't it will eventually become coloured red/brown by rust.
personally I think screen wash should be blue and antifreeze yellowy green so that people don't get confused when in stupid mode (Ray remembers putting screenwash in the rad and only realising once he'd started pouring it in and it smelled wrong :oops:) Screenwash comes in blue and green and antifreeze in blue green or red - pure madness. :lol: