Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
youngcamper
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Crossplys or Radials

Post by youngcamper »

Hmmmm, It's all food for thought...

I suppose in light of the advice hear I'll probably go radials, but I'd like to drive a car on crossplys first :-?
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

Well it's nice to try them and see what you think - as it's not your only car you have the option of not using it.
faversham999
Minor Fan

Post by faversham999 »

At 50MPH crossply were so Fair No cars are fitted with them new anymore . More diesel spills nowdays.best keep to 50MPH

Beardyjon
Minor Friendly

Post by Beardyjon »

i can only comment from landrovers.... which was the landy handeled better on the x plies (more balanced and more progressive into a slide) but there was no where near the level of grip available which was fun in the wet to say the least!!!

word of warning on the radials too dont be tempted to go too wide on the rim!!! this ruins any grip level gains and spoils the handling. 145`s on the later rims are nicer to drive on than 155`s IMO

jon
Biggles1957
Minor Fan

Post by Biggles1957 »

My 69 traveller is my every day vehicle and I am very pleased indeed with the handling and ride on my Toyo 155 radials :D Went all through the winter of 2010/11 on a hilly route to work each day and took great delight in burbling past loads of modern tin cans with no traction - Monty never slipped at all! :D I run them at 32psi all round and he's extremely sure footed. If I were you Will I'd certainly stick with the radials cos you KNOW you'll be tempted to check out the cornering ability of the Mogg's! :lol:
lambrettalad
Minor Legend

Post by lambrettalad »

Cornering ability :roll: :D
Cheers Alex
all thoughts are given in good faith but..." You pays your money and takes your choice"

[/color]
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

Well I'm still not decided on this, I've got a 4 door saloon on 155s and a convertible on 145s in my opinion 145s are far better.

the car that I'll be fitting them too is a 918 mog, so no ball of fire. surely it can't make that much difference ?
Will
ImageImageImage
________1967-Lily________________________1963-Phoebe_______________________1965-Dobby_________
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

With a set of radials on your MM you will be able to keep your speed up through open twisty roads and clip the apex of the bends without losing speed
[sig]3580[/sig]
JOWETTJAVELIN
Minor Legend

Post by JOWETTJAVELIN »

It is your choice but as I said you don't have to use that car all the time, so - crossplies have the period look and feel and the Minor is a car that can very easily be corrected should the back end kick out. Quite frankly in a sidevalve you are unlikely to get into trouble unless you start swerving like a madman at 50 MPH.
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

Well, rightly or wrongly the decisions been made. Crossplys it is!

Once she's back on the road I'll update you all on the differences in handling between 145s 155s and crossplys

Cheers,

Will
Will
ImageImageImage
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Please do, interesting to hear what you think.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
Noisyspeedbird

Post by Noisyspeedbird »

Hello everyone,
I'm shortly going to put four new boots on the Minor, and will be replacing ratty old crossplies. Like the OP I'm torn between replacing with new crossplies or similarly skinny radials. I understand the differences in levels of grip, wear rate, expense etc.
I wonder if the OP, or anyone else, has any comments on the difference in feel. The Minor is used for local trips and the occasional cross country trip a couple of times a year.
The car as it stands feels very characterful, and I haven't yet felt unsafe or out of control (the wandering and kicking feels part of the challenge! :-? ) I wouldn't want to lose the character, and am unsure if I will lose something with radials.
Car is no rocket ship - 1962 948 saloon, and is by no means concours.
Would radials feel too boring?
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

More predicable, much less wandering which I find disconcerting.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
youngcamper
Minor Fan

Post by youngcamper »

My Cars still in MANY pieces, so I still haven't had a chance to test the car, I am however planning on fitting Crossplys to the Lowlight. In all honesty I'd say that unless you're really going for an original spec car(which I am) I'd probably fit radials; they're cheaper, longer lasting and better in the wet.

Hope that helps.
Will
ImageImageImage
JPX877J
Minor Fan

Post by JPX877J »

We have 155 radials on ours and make up loss of wander by having brake judder :lol: :lol: