1961 2-door saloon (Sidney)

Let us all know what you are up to with your current restoration project. Get that Minor on the road!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: 1961 2-door saloon (Sidney)

Post by Sidney'61 »

I havent fitted the appropriate flasher unit and relays yet, I just got these working by joining the correct wires together! :D Eventually they will all work off the same switch, as you described :)

When I bought the car the trafficators had been disabled so this is the first time I've seen them working.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

The indicators are wired up correctly now. I fitted the relays and flashers in a box under the dashboard[frame]Image[/frame] this allows the flashers to flash alongside the trafficators on ignition, hazard flashers work on the live fuse without the trafficators.[frame]Image[/frame]
And we fitted the rear windscreen[frame]Image[/frame]
It's slowly looking more like my inspiration :lol:[frame]Image[/frame]
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Fingolfin
Minor Legend

Post by Fingolfin »

That's a very smart and tidy solution - well done. 8) Might smack your knuckles on the box when pulling the bonnet release, though.
The way to a man's heart may be making food, but the way to my heart is buying me car parts!
Come read about my Minor at An American Moggie.

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Fingolfin wrote:That's a very smart and tidy solution - well done. 8) Might smack your knuckles on the box when pulling the bonnet release, though.
Thanks :) It sits far enough forward to avoid the bonnet release, I checked :P It also has a lid to avoid catching the wires, still with the shortbread label on it :lol:

jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi,
I've just read this from the start, very impressive I particularly like how you've 'resolved' the indicators / trafficators in 'period' style, also you've motivated me to get a spray gun myself in due course, however I must finance the garage first......
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
Matt Tomkins
Minor Addict
Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Bucks or Oxford during term time

Post by Matt Tomkins »

Looking really good, Andy! Well done! and i'm very jealous of your tidy wiring...and indicators...and paint job.... darnit, i cant afford to rebuild Mavis just yet! ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46862234@N ... 671969048/
http://www.facebook.com/matttomkins

Misty, Morris Minor 2-door, 1970,
fully restored with the help of various of the young members to whom i am forever grateful. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43571
Also Mavis, 1960 Factory Tourer, and a '69 Traveller project: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53487

Join the young owners at: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... [sig]11392[/sig]
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thanks for the compliments :)
Matt, i'm very pleased that you still complimented my paint job even after you've seen it in 'the flesh' :D
Mike, It's well worth trying things yourself, i bought this car purely as a learning project for myself so it would have been pointless (and expensive!) getting everything done professionally, even if the finished product isn't perfect you'll still feel much more proud of it :D

Today we gave the new interior a trial fitting on the living room floor :) It's all ready to go![frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Post by ASL642 »

Looking good Andy!

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

After a lot of struggling to get the windscreen fitted with the original and slightly twisted chrome strip, we got there, though it did involve a rather strange method with lots of electric tape!
[frame]Image[/frame]
Here's a very happy me[frame]Image[/frame]
Massive thanks to Tom (minorsrule) for coming to help me the windscreen, and Matt Tomkins for coming over to help with all the last jobs too, the work progressed much quicker than usual!

After the car was finally waterproof (vaguely :roll: ) I could finally clean it properly for the first time in 2years.[frame]Image[/frame]

This morning I drove the car for the first time (I was too young last time it was on the road!) as we went down to the MoT station, unfortunately the brakes which have been sitting for a few years since their rebuild were not quite up to standard and were a bit uneven as I never got to more than 5mph on the driveway!
But I'm very happy that that was the only bad point, a bit more tweaking and everything should be up to scratch pretty soon :)

stevey
Minor Legend

Post by stevey »

Well done, super progress :D

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

I just love how helpful the mmoc is, theres always somebody keen to lend a hand. As soon as i mentioned the outcome of the MoT I had a visit from Matt Tomkins and Chris Ryder (and Lil)[frame]Image[/frame]
They worked really hard to get my brakes up to scratch and even fixed my household plumbing problems :lol: Thanks!!

GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I love that picture.
Gabriel
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

A minor rally in your back garden!! I once had 12 minors at my house though granted half of them were mine!!

Bet it felt great to finally drive Sidney after all the time and work put in, well done Andy 8)

Too many Minors so little time.....
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

well done andyim sure sidney will sail through now
[sig]5641[/sig]
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Thanks for the kind comments :) we went back today with the newly refurbished brakes and he passed :D[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
There are still lots of jobs to do but at least I can drive him now :)

As I hadn't finished the carpet set I did not fit the new interior, we just went through the MoT with a mixture of random seats and panels and no carpet. I recently found lots of red carpet off-cuts in the attic so hopefully I'll get all the new interior fitted in the next couple of days :lol: :lol:

stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

What a fabulous job - would love to see it sometime, inspires me to get on and finish mine.
]
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

Are you going to the Traveller 60 event Andy? You could show Sidney off there :D

Too many Minors so little time.....
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Hiya, im not sure when I'll next be at a show, I might have to wait till next year before I can show Sidney off! Still not finished yet anyway :P
But to prove he is driveable, here he is on his first petrol stop since 2008 [frame]Image[/frame]

This weekend I got to work fitting the new interior.
A good layer of underlay first, should hopefully keep the noise down :)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Then to fit the carpet. I bought the edged bits cheap at a national rally and managed to make up the left over parts with matching household off-cuts. I also fitted new inertia reel seatbelts [frame]Image[/frame] [frame]Image[/frame]
The rear seat and quarter panels were also fitted, along with more inertia seatbelts, these belts are fitted in the boot and come up through the parcel shelf[frame]Image[/frame]

Matt Tomkins
Minor Addict
Location: Aston Clinton, Aylesbury, Bucks or Oxford during term time

Post by Matt Tomkins »

looking very good Andy! Keep up the momentum!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/46862234@N ... 671969048/
http://www.facebook.com/matttomkins

Misty, Morris Minor 2-door, 1970,
fully restored with the help of various of the young members to whom i am forever grateful. http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=43571
Also Mavis, 1960 Factory Tourer, and a '69 Traveller project: http://www.mmoc.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53487

Join the young owners at: https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/gr ... [sig]11392[/sig]
Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Post by Sidney'61 »

Hello,
I realised I never actually finished this thread off. Sidney is on the road and driving, there are still lots of little jobs to be done but at least we'll be ready for the 2014 show season :)
Here are some final pictures I took towards the end of last year.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
He may have missed the 2013 rallies but I'm really looking forward to getting this car out and about this year :D

With the project finally out of the way I decided it was about time I properly tidied my garage and organised my tools[frame]Image[/frame] Hopefully my next project will be a bit more organised and methodical :) :roll: