Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Blocked water passages

Post by Sidney'61 »

Hello,
After a problem of overheating and attempting to flush the system there seems to be a large blockage inside the engine block, when removing the drain plug nothing came out and nothing seems to be flushing through, even if you run the engine with the plug out :roll:
Any tips?

Thanks
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

Sidney'61
Minor Legend

Re: Blocked water passages

Post by Sidney'61 »

Also, can anyone tell me what path the water actually takes through the engine? so I can get an idea where the blockage is. Mainly because the heater is still working and helping to cool it.
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Can only suggest much probing through the drain plug - and a good flush through with drain cleaner (basically caustic soda...take precautions). Failing that - remove the core plugs to improve accessibility for the probing........
ImageImage
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

Just did this right this week, If you're using caustic soda it will damage aluminum and quite probably the seals for the water pump. Keep it away from the main bearings as well.

The water jacket runs around all four cylinders and straight through from there to the drain plug so you should be able to get a wire at least 3 or 4 inches into the drain plug. Don't know where the heater hose connects to since my car doesn't have one but for most oil and water passages you can see where they go on the engine if you look closely.

If the car is overheating then you probably will need to take out the drain plugs like bmcecosse said and remove several pounds of rust. My car wasn't particularly dirty and still it produced about two big jars' worth and that's not counting the radiator.
Gabriel