phones

Instead of clogging up posts with off topic discussions, have them here. Keep it clean folks!
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
les
Minor Maniac
MMOC Member: Yes

phones

Post by les »

Thought I might try the 21st century! So any help would be good. Regarding this mobile phone business, thought I might get one of these 'Smartphones' something along the lines of a Galaxy ace 2 PAYG but I'm not sure about the apps side of things. My assumption is that you need to connect to the internet on the phone to download them? After they are on the phone do you have to connect (via phone) to the internet to use them? These questions will have a bearing on the type of tariff I choose.
Also can you unlock a phone yourself?

chrisryder
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

Re: phones

Post by chrisryder »

If you have 'wifi' in your home, you can connect to that with a smart-phone to download apps.

If you don't have wifi, there are plenty of places that do for free. Mcdonalds is one ;)

If you're planning on buying a handset and using your existing PAYG sim, just go to the shop of the network provider that your sim is already on, and buy the handset from them. Then there's no need to unlock it.

I've no idea if you can unlock phones yourself - let me know if you find out how though!
chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for the help Chris. What about using the apps, does the phone need to access the internet to use them, once they've been downloaded?

chrisryder
Minor Legend

Post by chrisryder »

Not all of them. When you come to download the app it should tell you whether it needs internet access or not.

What sort of apps are you after? I've got a few simple ones - unit converter, torch, etc. That don't require internet access.

You should be able to use your own common sense in most cases as to whether it's likely to need internet access or not.

Having had a look myself for ways of unlocking a similar phone just now, it seems to be a minefield! There's a site called samsunggeeks.us that is apparently fraudulent, so avoid that! May be safest to take it to a high-street unlocker. I think that's what I'll be doing!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks again, not sure what apps I'll be needing yet, just trying to get a better understanding of the ins and outs of it all!

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I just got a 'smartphone' from carphone warehouse - £7:70 per month on 24 month contract. It has all the free calls/texts (search me...) and data anyone could sensibly need each month, Connects to wifi where available (at home/in cafe etc) - otherwise connects via the phone link - if the signal is strong enough. I'm very pleased with it so far. Battery life is not great when on data - but if charged each evening - and in the car when out and about - it's fine !
ImageImage
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

A very handy FREE app is M8.Its a satnav.I realise this will cause extreme upset to those who still use maps!!!!Mind you if you need to check the map whilst driving without a passenger you have to pull up,satnavs dictate,you simply listen!M8 doesn't fill your phones storage either,it downloads the map you need when you enter your destination.Try it then comment.
Tiny
Minor Friendly

Post by Tiny »

If your concerned about using up your data allowance, the Samsung will allow you to turn of the Background data until you are in range of a WI-FI connection, so no unexpected bills.
Some really handy apps are available for the android platform too...
- Google Navigation as a sat nav works really well as a get you out of trouble (although it uses your data allowance), but the satellite view is really handy
- Flashlight is good if you have a camera with a flash (really bright torch - but eats the battery if you over use it)
- NAV free - Sat Nav that doesn't require you to be connected to the internet (but you need an SD memory card as its 38meg of maps for UK & Ireland)
- ICE (In Case of Emergency), Information for paramedics should they find you in a bad way. Although im a bit skeptical about the security implications of this should somebody find my phone and manage to get past the security password

I had a really handy one that worked out my fuel consumption, but kept forgetting to add the information when i filled up
Loads of really handy stuff if you can be bothered to fiddle with it though.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks for reply Tiny, very helpful. :D

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I downloaded Navfree - it's very good ! I've hardly touched my 'data' allowance so far this month - it really only matters if you try to watch video etc on the phone.
ImageImage
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Anyone using the Talkmobile (as opposed to TalkTalk) network? I'm hearing tales about coverage, in as much as it can be a bit hit and miss. Would like to know if that's fact or fiction.

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

That's what my Carphone smart phone is on - it's fine ! Absolute bargain deal.
ImageImage
Tiny
Minor Friendly

Post by Tiny »

As far as I was aware Talk-Talk Mobile piggyback onto the Vodafone network so i would imagine the coverage is as good as any.

Only issue i can see is that in order to qualify for Talk Talk Mobile, you will need to be subscribed to the Home phone package first (which is no biggie as they are very competitive for home phone & broadband)
Thing to check is what limits are to your usage allowance - and more importantly what they are gonna charge you if you go over.

I guess it all depends on what you want to use your phone for really
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks, I thought the deal I was offered to be fine, just had some doubts about coverage, it is related to vodaphone, and carphone warehouse has links. Looks like that might be a good option for me. Data is 250Mb, which will probably be ok for me. Will check about going over the allowances, good point.

Tiny
Minor Friendly

Post by Tiny »

Yeh 250Mb should be fine, Again it all depends on what you want to use it for.

Personally I would switch background data off and just use the Home WiFi for downloading apps & updates

Then if you get stuck or in a pickle and need to search the internet or sat nav your way home, switch it back on (the Samsung you mentioned previously has a shortcut button too, so its quick and easy to do) - Probably saves the battery consumption too

Also be cautious about the insurance options they try and sell you... A quick search on google will find you a whole host of companies that offer the same cover for much less cash
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Hadn't thought of insurance, but as it won't be a top of the range phone, I may give that a miss anyway. Cheers for all the info, great stuff. Another thought if it wasn't insured and the phone got stolen lost or broken, where would people stand regards paying there monthly contract?

Tiny
Minor Friendly

Post by Tiny »

When you initially take on a contract you will be locked in for 12 - 18 or 24 months... They then give you the handset for free
However If you loose it, damage it or it gets stolen they will only replace the SIM card on most contracts
This gives them the excuse to then up-sell you handset insurance (which is usually cheaper elsewhere)

Only way that im aware of them replacing the handset is if the one they gave you is faulty.... Then you've got to convince them its not something you did accidentally...

Check the price of the handset you are looking at on E-bay... If it gets nicked, you may be able to pick one up there instead of stumping up the 8 quid or so a month insurance.
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

Thanks again Tiny, I'll leave you in peace now! :D

atuwert

Post by atuwert »

Nice sharing.Interesting.