Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Sidney'61
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: No

No starter, just a click

Post by Sidney'61 »

Hi,

I've been having problems with the traveller for a while now, quite often when i try to start it I get nothing but a click and the speedo lights go out. It starts fine on the handle and all electrics work. Given that it never chugs slowly on the starter and sometimes it works fine im pretty certain its not a flat battery, so is something shorting in the starter motor/solenoid? Where do I start? (Its a late key start model)

Thanks
Andy W____________1961 2-door 948cc (Sidney)_____________1963 2-door 1275cc (Emily)_______

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: No starter, just a click

Post by bmcecosse »

Bad connections at the battery - if the lights go out when you try the starter....Clean and shine!
ImageImage
beero
Minor Legend

Post by beero »

Could also be bad connection on the earth strap between the body and engine/gearbox. (I believe the strap is on the gearbox.)

bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Nope - that wouldn't cause the ign light to go out.......
ImageImage
DAVIDMCCULLOUGH
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by DAVIDMCCULLOUGH »

It will either be a starter or solenoid - which you have already guessed! If you have a solenoid to try go for it first as it easy to change, if not try a starter from one of your other cars.

I had this issue last year and was sure it was the solenoid. I had 3 second hand ones and thought they must all have been duff and sent for a new one, only to find the same thing happening..... Next I tried a starter form a pile of spares and it sorted it!

Too many Minors so little time.....
Declan_Burns
Minor Legend

Post by Declan_Burns »

I also had this issue and found a loose solenoid to be the cause.
Regards
Declan

Regards
Declan
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If it makes all the lights go out - it's almost certainly a bad connection - or just maybe a bad cell in the battery. Try another battery......, after cleaning/tightening the connections....
ImageImage
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

I've had this before, and it turned out to be a sticky starter, turning the square drive on the back of it to un-seize sorted it out for a few weeks at a time :-?
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

Hi Andy,

Matts reply above is the most sensible thing to try first. The fact that your dash lights are going out when you crank it suggests something taking excessive current, pulling the battery voltage down and not a bad connection. Unless of course your battery has a cell down but you think that is ok.

If it starts by hand cranking then the chances are the engine earth strap is ok otherwise the igintion coil voltage would also be affected.

Alex
Glad to be back!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

No - the ignition can get plenty of current via the acc and 'choke' cables - to start and run the engine on the handle. Stuck starter IF the lights come straight back on when you release the key - but if they don't come back on till you 'fiddle' connections - then it IS a bad connection somewhere.
ImageImage