Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
MsRose
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Organising a full strip and rebuild

Post by MsRose »

I posted a few weeks ago about buying my first Traveller and this weekend saw it's arrival.

I'm a pretty organised person and I like to work to lists :D . I also like to know that everything I remove is kept safe and labelled up.

Do any of you have hints and tips for storing/organising etc.

How did you tackle the strip and in what order.

Many thanks :)
Raspberry Rose Farm
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Re: Organising a full strip and rebuild

Post by bmcecosse »

Let's see some pictures ! How far are going with the strip down? Unless it's a complete 'basket case' - I suggest just doing one area at a time - if you take it ALL to bits - you may become disheartened and never get round to re-assembling it...... :roll:
ImageImage
MsRose
Minor Friendly

Post by MsRose »

bmcecosse I fear I'd be laughed at if I posted pictures up.

To be honest the floor looks to be pretty solid, but I can see that the NSF chassis rail is shot. Whatever happens I would very much want to strip the car right down. I'm under no illusion that it will be a bed of roses.

At the moment, whilst its in the garage at home I'm thinking of stripping all panels whilst waiting to take it into the workshop. Once I get it into the workshop I then want to remove engine, gearbox etc, so that I'm left with just the shell. I then want to send it for dipping so that I can see the real extent.
Raspberry Rose Farm
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Sounds very brave.....good luck with it! I would remove the fuel tank very early on - wash it out well with hot water (or steam clean) and then store it carefully well away from any ignition sources......
ImageImage
MsRose
Minor Friendly

Post by MsRose »

Yes, absolutely.

It's current fuel tank is sat on the front seat in an old thinners tin with a piece of rope holding it in place :D
Raspberry Rose Farm
shagracer
Minor Friendly

Post by shagracer »

dont be shy with the photos, i dont think you will get laught at , if its that bad you will more than likely get a big pat on the back for trying to save a MM that might not of made it back onto the road.
i also think seeing other peoples projects helps us to keep ours going and we may even pick up tips along the way.
go on get that camera out, you know you want to
MsRose
Minor Friendly

Post by MsRose »

Thanks Shagracer.

I do have plenty of photos, but just need to get them onto the forum. I will set up a thread in the rebuild section soon.[frame]Image[/frame]
Raspberry Rose Farm
shagracer
Minor Friendly

Post by shagracer »

that doesn't look too bad, yes there work to be done, at least it seems to be all there, good on you
qwerty165
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by qwerty165 »

More pictures are on the Ebay listing for the car:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 1122694871

MechanicMichael
Minor Friendly

Post by MechanicMichael »

qwerty165 wrote:More pictures are on the Ebay listing for the car:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORRIS-MINOR- ... 1122694871
You beat me too it. I thought I recognised that grille.
Mk2 Yellow Raleigh Chopper.
Mk2 Red Raleigh Chopper.
Mk2 Raleigh Chopper Tandem
Mk1 Raleigh Chopper Orange.
Mk1 Raleigh Chopper Yellow.
Mk1 Raleigh Chopper Orange
Sinclair C5.
Self build Two Seater Sports Car (Replica Caterham 7)

MsRose
Minor Friendly

Post by MsRose »

No tips or advice?
Raspberry Rose Farm
Matt
Minor Legend

Post by Matt »

The best colour for a trav :wink:

By saying keeping everything labelled etc I think you have already given yourself the best advice!

I end up chucking everying in boxes and when I need the bit I'm never sure where it is!
Serial Morris Minor Owner and Old Vehicle Nutter
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics
Daddybear1984
Minor Fan

Post by Daddybear1984 »

hello and nice project, i am just a noobie myself but what i did was get a book/diary and strip the car steadily and boxed and labelled everything, small take away boxes are very handy and stackable (chinese) and biscuit tins and the like and when i removed something i wrote down which number box it was in with a circled numbered in the column and anything i didn't recognise i labelled with masking tape and wrote on that.

anything thing that is obvious that needs replacing i wrote down and drew an star/astrix in the coloum so i can go through and know where things are and the obvious bits i need when putting it back

moss magazine is very handy for the diagrams and identifying parts.

Kind Regards

Scott

When you're in up over your head, the first thing to do is close your mouth.
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

What I do to store bits and bobs is use those re-sealable polythene bags such as these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/27118169 ... =95&ff19=0

you can write on the bag what the contents relate to, for example, drivers side door bits, or "Bonnet bits", etc etc.

Also, get some large cardboard boxes to keep larger assemblies together, such as door glass, and all the frame and bits inside the door.

As you are taking sections of the car apart, photograph everything with a digital camera or phone, download the photos to a computer (I prefer iPhoto) and organise the photos into folders for separate areas of the car. The photos will also look great on your build thread on an internet forum :wink:

Also make notes, line drawings, measurements in an A4 book. Also make lists of parts you need to order and write out a plan and break the plan down into daily tasks.

If you are doing a lot of welding, just work on one section at a time, for example you would remove the front left hand side wing, then bag up the lights, wiring, wing mirror, hockey stick,, chrome, light mounts any screws and the wing bolts and washers and keep them safely together in a box. Label the box.

Then carry out welding repairs to that area BEFORE moving onto another part of the car. That way you keep the body shell straight as you are only weakening one area at a time. Don't cut all of the rusty panels off before starting welding repairs.

As for storage, you will need either a spare room or attic or a few sheds to keep all the bits from one car.

It might seem a lot of effort to do all the above but it saves a huge amount of wasted time and cost replacing lost parts when it comes to re-assembling the car.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

MsRose wrote:Thanks Shagracer.

I do have plenty of photos, but just need to get them onto the forum. I will set up a thread in the rebuild section soon.[frame]Image[/frame]
Nice, I do like the Maroon B colour. One of the less common colours that suits the Minor very well.

Oh and welcome to the forum!
dp
Minor Legend

Post by dp »

I'd just add that if your garage is damp, keep seats, carpets etc somewhere else so they don't get moldy.

I sometimes put cruddy bolts in labelled jars in degreaser so that 10 years later when they come out they are clean.

(well in real life I chuck them unlabelled in rattle can lids in degreaser then kick them all over the floor but in an ideal world...) :)

A roll of masking tape & pen quickly labels the wiring loom as you can label upon disconnection rather than thinking you will buy some tags and do it later.

digital photography, especially for things that can be assembled incorrectly, light switches for example.

Drain the fuel tank and use the fuel for the lawn mower or another car as it'll go off if it isn't used.
Blades
Minor Fan

Post by Blades »

You have got some very good advice so far

May I also say a spreadsheet of all the parts you have removed and what you might need could also help

Nick
[sig]9332[/sig]
PaulTubby
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by PaulTubby »

My advice is buy a shed, as you will soon fill it with interior and running gear, glass, chrome etc... amazing how much space, storage you need when dismantling a car ! good luck and always stay positive as you will always hit lows in any project!
MsRose
Minor Friendly

Post by MsRose »

Thanks for all the helpful tips.

I've started the work now and so I'll make a thread in the projects/rebuilds section.
Raspberry Rose Farm