1949 MM Gear Nob

for those with Series MM sidevalve cars produced between September 1948 and February 1953
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Liam12mtb
MMOC Member: No

1949 MM Gear Nob

Post by Liam12mtb »

I am hoping that someone can help me in obtaining a Gear Nob for my 1949 MM.
Romeo
Minor Friendly

Re: 1949 MM Gear Nob

Post by Romeo »

Welcome to the Message board :D
Mike Perry the MM register secretary has just had some made in the correct rubber compound with the moulded in attachment nut.
I am sure he will PM you soon to add you cars details to the MM register.

Please can you add your location to your profile as it is always handy to know if you need help.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Just trying to tie up loose ends, a couple of prototypes are undergoing tests and it is hoped that production will go ahead in a couple of weeks.
Please note that this is not a large scale factory production, but one Series MM owner producing them in small batches virtually to order
[sig]3580[/sig]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Please PM me the details of your car. This will ensure that your name is added to the order list
[sig]3580[/sig]
StefanoP
Minor Friendly

Post by StefanoP »

mike.perry wrote:Just trying to tie up loose ends, a couple of prototypes are undergoing tests and it is hoped that production will go ahead in a couple of weeks.
Please note that this is not a large scale factory production, but one Series MM owner producing them in small batches virtually to order
Hello Mike, as you might imagine I'm very much interested in obtaining one gear knob for my 1949 MM Tourer.... :P May I put my name on this list?

Thanks

Stefano
1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

Mike could I get you to post a photo or two to show the correct early flathead engine knob as opposed to the 803 knob I am still fuzzy as to which knob it is ,I have followed the earlier posts but still am confused ,thank you.I have a really nice original knob but I do not really know which one it is .
karlcouchMM1952
Minor Friendly

Post by karlcouchMM1952 »

Hi Mike,

I have emailed you regarding an MM gear knob. I am very interested in getting one as I expressed in my email. If there is a waiting list, please can my name be added to it. It would also be nice to understand how long it will take for one to be made and at what cost etc.

Thanks,

Karl.

Always a pleasure… Never a chore!
smithskids
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by smithskids »

Hello Mike, please put my name on the waiting list. Regards Iain.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame].
Left is Series II, Right is Series MM. Production gear knob will have hexagonal brass insert
There is a committee meeting this weekend when it will be discussed. Production should start in 2-3 weeks, cost about £20-25 each
[sig]3580[/sig]
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

Would an early 53 series mm with a few of the series II features have had a series mm knob or series II one ,do you know. I have a round knob on at this time

mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

The Series MM gear lever has a metric thread so would have the MM gear knob. This could have been replaced with a gear knob with a rubber insert
[sig]3580[/sig]
ian.mcdougall
Minor Legend

Post by ian.mcdougall »

put me down for a gear knob as well

1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

Thank you for posting the photos ,I know the shape and size of the knob I have is like the larger oval one but I cannot remember if the writing on the top is raised or not ,I need to get to my shop and check it .The mm knob you show looks new .
Liam12mtb

Post by Liam12mtb »

I am so glad I joined this forum. This is incredibly exciting to think that a special batch is being produced.

I am in Brisbane Australia and I would love to purchase one of the MM Gear Nobs.

Please let me know how and to who I can make my payment.

Kind regards

Liam
Liam12mtb

Post by Liam12mtb »

[frame]Image[/frame]
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

Nice Motor!
The gear knob in the photo is new, the 1st trial. We were not sure of the correct thread and decided afterwards that it was M8 thread. They should be going into production by the end of April. Tomorrow I will put the gearknob in a Jiffy Bag and take it to the Post Office to find out the postage to various parts of the world.
One of the aims of the Series MM Register is to identify parts which are in short supply or are vital to the continued use of Series MMs and if financially viable arrange for a batch to be produced. So far this has included the alloy castings for the USHM3 engine, thermostat housing, block drain tap and water jacket, the gear lever turret springs and brass sump plugs which although not original are easy to remove unlike the alloy plugs. Also acquired by a branch member are enough spark plugs to keep every side valve engine running for a considerable mileage. There are a few water pump pulleys machined from a steel billet and a major gasket supplier was persuaded to include a thermostat gasket in the head set.
These parts are in addition to the stocks of spares acquired by the Club Spares.
Last edited by mike.perry on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[sig]3580[/sig]
Liam12mtb

Post by Liam12mtb »

That is brilliant news! Let me know how much I owe you for the gear nob and postage to Australia.

Kind regards

Liam
gtt1951
Minor Addict

Post by gtt1951 »

Mike, in case you forgot my request at the Brooklands Austin/Morris day - please put me down for a Series MM gear knob.
My car came with the correct knob, but no brass insert - just a bit of wine cork!
George.
'50 Low-light with 918 Side-valve engine,
'51 High-light with Side-valve 918 engine,
'55 4-dr with 803 engine,
'56 Traveller with 1098 engine.
mike.perry
Series MM Registrar

Post by mike.perry »

I did remember your request from Brooklands, you are already on the list
[sig]3580[/sig]
1843lamp
Minor Friendly

Post by 1843lamp »

Here are photos of the knob from my 52 ,a cross between the two knobs in mikes photo.[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]