Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
John Naylor
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

Re: Daily use classics, very rare now.

Post by John Naylor »

A few shiny ones have appeared recently flashing their lights and waving at me. I obviously ignore them...
You will get a wave from me, like it or not, if you are around East Staffs.
I remember my first outing in my Austin 7 in the 60's when I flashed a Vintage Bentley - the driver gave me 2 fingers for being a cheeky upstart. Hopefully we have moved on from then!

Bertie.
Mr Don
Minor Friendly

We use Humphrey our 1968 Moggy Dailty

Post by Mr Don »

Our moggy is used every day, just 12 miles a day, but it is cheaper than a modern car and just as reliable.
The past is the way to the future.
stag36587
Minor Legend

Post by stag36587 »

I'd love to use my classic every day but my daily commute is currently 88 miles each way (ridiculous I know). Dual carriageway each way full of the usual aggressive Audi tailgaters.
]
Edward.21
Minor Fan

Post by Edward.21 »

i use my travaller everyday usually about 10miles unless its sunny in which-case i take the saab convertible. the trav is in pretty shabby visual condition but the mechanicals are well serviced, she almost always manages to get me and the dogs to and from the beach, rain or shine.
You are unique Just like everyone else
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

John Naylor wrote: You will get a wave from me, like it or not, if you are around East Staffs.
I remember my first outing in my Austin 7 in the 60's when I flashed a Vintage Bentley - the driver gave me 2 fingers for being a cheeky upstart. Hopefully we have moved on from then!
It seems we have; I was driving through town today in my Traveller and spotted a Jaguar XK140/150 approaching me, with a number of people on board. I was pleasantly surprised when the driver smiled and gave me a wave, so I waved back. :)
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
woodiesenfrance
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by woodiesenfrance »

2 daily drivers in use here, one 1971 trav & one 1968 van used for business.
I doubt many villages in France see 2 Minors coming out of a garage every morning!
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

Chillax dude and let people use their Minors as they wish. Criticising paint for being too shiny just sounds like thinly disguised jealousy to me. One day you might be glad of the services of another owner in a shiny car so be nice to everyone with a Mog you meet as we have enough modern car drivers that don't want to see us drive even 50 miles a year. I used to commute in a Mog long distance every day when I was younger so "chapeau monsieur" as the say in France, I appreciate your sacrifice but it does not make you Che Guevara.
[sig]6530[/sig]
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

I don't know if you'll be too impressed by this but I was doing a daily round trip commute of 90miles in my series 2 (though I did have a Suzuki engine in!) but have taken it off the road for an from the ground up rebuild with a series in (which is what it came with) .......though the supercharger isn't stock.

P.s my splitty is '56 might this car have come with an a series 1098 as standard as it's on the cusp of the moggy 1000 or is it just been changed over the years?
Cheers fellas, hope to see you all back on the road soon!

chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Suzukimorris wrote:I don't know if you'll be too impressed by this but I was doing a daily round trip commute of 90miles in my series 2 (though I did have a Suzuki engine in!) but have taken it off the road for an from the ground up rebuild with a series in (which is what it came with) .......though the supercharger isn't stock.

P.s my splitty is '56 might this car have come with an a series 1098 as standard as it's on the cusp of the moggy 1000 or is it just been changed over the years?
Cheers fellas, hope to see you all back on the road soon!
Good to hear the Suzuki engine is going and an A series going back in!

A split screen Minor would have had an 803cc A series as standard, the first Minor 1000 with the one piece screen came with the 948cc so someone has changed the 803 for a 1098 A series.
Cheers John - all comments IMHO
- Come to this years Kent branches Hop rally! http://www.kenthop.co.uk
(check out the East Kent branch website http://www.ekmm.co.uk )
ImageImage
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Indeed. The 948cc engine was introduced in 1956, but they came with the one-piece windscreen.

The 1098cc engine was introduced in 1962.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Longdog
Minor Fan

Post by Longdog »

All jesting aside, it is good to hear of Mogs being used every day and I wish you best of luck with your resto. I'm currently welding, spraying and generally sprucing up my latest project so am going through the same process.
[sig]6530[/sig]
Maximas
Minor Friendly

Post by Maximas »

My neibour was laughing at me last year for driving my moggy each day....then one day,on my way to work,I stopped for him...asked him why he was walking..his response was my car is having a clutch fitted...£1800 dabs....he now drives a classic..lol.. :lol:
chickenjohn
Minor Legend

Post by chickenjohn »

Maximas wrote:My neibour was laughing at me last year for driving my moggy each day....then one day,on my way to work,I stopped for him...asked him why he was walking..his response was my car is having a clutch fitted...£1800 dabs....he now drives a classic..lol.. :lol:
Brilliant!!!! says it all!!!
les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

1800 for a clutch, he must have had an 944! :o

Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

Are 944s killer expensive to run then. Me mate just offered me one for a swap with a Honda c90 moped lol

les
Minor Maniac

Post by les »

They don't hold their price, that's for sure, and the clutch is a pain but apart from that, I've not owned a better car, and that's after 15 years of ownership. Maybe I've been lucky. Honda 90's nice too.

morris van
Minor Legend

Post by morris van »

My Uncle has a friend who has a 1920s Bentley which he uses every for work and does 100,000 miles a year in it.He has owned for ten years and has just had an engine strip down after it has just passed a million miles and the mechanic who services it said it looked as if the engine had only done 10,000 miles.He said it has never let him down as it has regular services.

Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Now, that's dedication to the cause! :o
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
Suzukimorris
Minor Fan

Post by Suzukimorris »

That's impressive let's just hope he doesn't polish it hey ;D

The Scotmoose
Minor Friendly

Post by The Scotmoose »

Although technically Monty is the second car in my family (The Boss has an Evoque), he is on the road 4 days a week on average. I wanted a classic that I could drive, not just one to sit and admire, or wait on the price going up (I could have made a 50% profit if I had wanted to thanks to an offer that was made to me). Would it not be good if every say every Sunday could be a "National Drive Your Classic Day", so that everyone could enjoy the sights and sounds of these wonderful cars, without which, their moderns would not have evolved.