Surfboard on top of 2 door saloon - long journey ?

Discuss other problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
mariononslow20
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

Surfboard on top of 2 door saloon - long journey ?

Post by mariononslow20 »

My son is planning to go to Cornwall with 2 mates in a 2 door saloon - 1098cc. Its a 250 mile journey and he's got one of those soft roof racks that tie on the top. He's planning to take his surf board and although its fairly light, the car will be well laden already. :o

Does anyone have any views on

(1) securing the board safely - I'm thinking of loading it upside down, pointy end first and strapped down lengthwise to minimize lifting up at the front.
(2) effects on performance/fuel/handling
(3) whether this roof rack thingie will work

Any advice welcome!
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Re: Surfboard on top of 2 door saloon - long journey ?

Post by MarkyB »

loading it upside down, pointy end first and strapped down lengthwise
What would you use for straps?
As the surfboard is rounded at the ends I forsee it escaping from the strap when going over a bump or round a corner maybe.
I'd try strapping them quite tightly to the roof with straps between the doors, as long as you can still shut the doors.

The effect on the MPG will probably be disasterous :)

A regular roof rack should work better but would need to be strong and well fitted because of the forces involved.

Some surfers may be along to contradict all the above.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

I have used those soft roof racks many many times,on a variety of cars including the ser 11. They are fine as long as they are tightened up properly,the only problem with fitting them to the minor is that the shape of the roof limits the distance you can use between them. Ie the dome of the roof hits the board if the straps are too far apart.If its a short board then its ok,but if its a long board then you need to tie the front down to the bumper iron to stop it uplifting. They say ok for two boards,but I have had two surfboards and a windsurfer on without any problems, I take it its the usual type with integrated fitting straps and tie on straps,if so it will be fine,Just put a bit more petrol in and add a bit/well a lot more time :D
the first time you use them its a bit alarming because the board does move about a bit in the wind,not like a solid rack,since the fixing straps tend to give a bit of movement. but as long as its fitted properly it will not come off the roof. good luck and I hope he gets some nice spaced out sets down there.
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I have no idea what a 'soft' roof rack is......anyone got a picture? I'm guessing it's v likely to chaff the paintwork... But I too would want to tie the board to the front bumper - and to the rear. 3 young lads on their way to Newquay are not going to be worrying about the fuel consumption..... :roll: :lol: been there/done that - in an 1100 -many many many moons ago..... there are MUCH more important things to 'worry' about!! :oops: :wink:
ImageImage
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeoNAUL8sNk for you BM and anyone else,yes prolonged use can cause a mark on the roof,but not a problem that I found in my use of them
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

Thanks for that.....good grief... :roll:
ImageImage
mariononslow20
Minor Friendly

Post by mariononslow20 »

Thanks all for your suggestions.

He bought the 3 door version of the Northcore roof pads like in the video, strapped the board on and we did a motorway test drive. No problems at all at 55-60, no vibrations or any sign of it working loose. The board is fairly well back, ie not overhanging the windscreen and he used 2 extra straps to the front bumpers to hold the forward pad in position and stop it sliding backwards.

Having looked at the roofrack sold by ESM, I think the soft pads are a better idea for holding surfboards. They hold the board close to the profile of the car which makes the whole caboodle a little less wind resistant.

I am expecting the odd scuff, but hell - life is for living!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

If you don't mind the scuffs....and secure it back and fore - it will be fine I'm sure!
ImageImage
GBond
Minor Fan

Post by GBond »

I've used those soft racks for surfboards with 1 and 2 boards over long journeys at up to 90-100 MPH with no problems (not in the Morris). I thought the wind was going to be much more of an issue that it ended up being so I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure the all the straps are tight.
Gabriel
mariononslow20
Minor Friendly

Post by mariononslow20 »

[frame]Image[/frame]

Thanks - here's a pic
brixtonmorris
Minor Addict
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by brixtonmorris »

:D I wish i was coming.
Last edited by brixtonmorris on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rayofleamington

Post by rayofleamington »

cool - maybe a bunch of very high res photo of the car + board in front of beach / sea...
Would be really nice to see that on front of club mag IMHO (although the front covers are planned well in advance)
Ray. MMOC#47368. Forum moderator.

Jan 06: The Minor SII Africa adventure: http://www.minor-detour.com
Oct 06: back from Dresden with my Trabant 601 Kombi
Jan 07: back from a month thru North Africa (via Timbuktu) in a S3 Landy
June 07 - back from Zwickau Trabi Treffen
Aug 07 & Aug 08 - back from the Lands End to Orkney in 71 pickup
Sept 2010 - finally gave up breaking down in a SII Landy...
where to break down next?
2013... managed to seize my 1275 just by driving it round the block :(
Slingers0710

Post by Slingers0710 »

It can be done! I would recommend a hard rack, with some pads to put on the bars as not to damage the boards. You need a back window that can open for most soft racks in my experiance. Mine went on a trip with boards all the way to the top of Scotland, a trip of about 500 miles, and is used most weeks to carry boards! Just check things are tightly secured and the little trooper will get you there safe. :)[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
Last edited by Slingers0710 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

You're all sporting headlamp peaks, quick hide!! BMC will have a coronary though his blood boiling at the sight of them!! :lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
John Naylor
Minor Fan

Post by John Naylor »

That's why I show a rear view of Bertie as he had peaks when I bought him (now removed and hidden so as not to cause offence).
John

Bertie.
jagnut66
Minor Legend

Post by jagnut66 »

:lol: :lol:
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)