Discuss Bodywork problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
docgibbons
Minor Fan
MMOC Member: No

paintwork dull

Post by docgibbons »

i gave my old boy a T cut recently, but far from making the paintwork gleam, it remained as dull as before, and also in parts proved impossible to buff off. ie leaving that grey stuff behind, which i couldn't polish away. i then tried a black colour wax gloss, with much the same results. i'm wondering whether the paintwork is so old (probably the original 1958 black) that it's become scratched, and won't buff up. maybe one of those industrial type electric polishers might work, or maybe the only remedy now is a respray. if anyone has any thoughts on what might restore the brightness of the colour, i'd be grateful to hear them.
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Re: paintwork dull

Post by dalebrignall »

try the g3 products they are very good they do a paint renovator
[sig]5641[/sig]
Chipper
Minor Addict

Post by Chipper »

Sounds like you need to use cutting compound on a rotary mop (polisher), followed up by wax polish. You could also try a clay bar beforehand, which lifts any ingrained dirt out of the paint.
Maurice, E. Kent
(1970 Traveller)
RichG
Minor Friendly

Post by RichG »

hi , i had very much the same problem with my grey moggy , i have used all sorts on her , but i have bought an auto smart , duel head polisher , and there G3 cutting paste , give her a good going over with that bringing up the shine , and tried auto glym resin polish , but after a few weeks the shine faded again , paint was flat under a hazy shine , so i hit the polisher again , but now iv used the Meguiars 3 stage cleaning set . they also do a clay bar to , the last of the 3 stages is a carnuaba wax , wich has worked so far for me . good luck . and keep us posted , Be careful if use use a polisher , as u dont know how thick the paint is . better a dull black finish than primer !![frame]Image[/frame]

docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

thanks for the tips looking forward to giving it a go. just to be sure on this one, is the recommendation to use a cutting paste followed by G3 renovator, or are they one and the same thing? i have seen an ad for "FARECLA advance liquid clay cutting compound" for example, so should i try that as a one-off treatment? or give it something else first?
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Farecla G3 is cutting compound.G10 is even finer.
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

i tried the meguiars stage one (thought i'd ordered all three, but made a boo-boo) and it didn't really do much.
after applying, as per instructions, tried to buff up, again as per instructions, and it remained much the same as the T cut. wouldn't shine at all, or not much anyway.
i then spotted a bottle of Car-Pride scratch remover at one of those cheapo shops, and thought at £2.99 i wouldn't lose much by giving it a go, and it worked much better than the pricier meguiars. not perfect, but not bad. i still haven't applied a clay bar - would this be worth a go?
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The scratch remover is usually just a Pound - in the Pound Shops....you were ripped off..! I would try another go with that - but no harm in the 'clay bar' I suppose....
ImageImage
docgibbons
Minor Fan

Post by docgibbons »

actually, just checked the price tag again and it wasn't £2.99 but £1.99.
still ripped off i guess, but i can get over it for 99p.
i'll perhaps try the clay now, and see what that does, but its not looking too bad now.
daveyl
Minor Fan

Post by daveyl »

I just thought I'd add to this thread. I purchased the 'Farecla G3' cutting agent and I would say it's absolutely top notch. My vauxhall is now red, rather than the pink drab it's been for the last 6 years.
I have tried other products but found that they had little effect.

I will also try the carnauba wax when I get round to it.
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

With many of these products you need to do a bit at a time, about 2 square feet maybe a square metre if you are quick before you start taking it off.
Don't do it in direct sunlight either, some stuff dries so hard you can't get it off.

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
kennatt
Minor Legend

Post by kennatt »

Clay bars are for removing grime and tarnish,don't think they will have a great effect on scratches. Polishers,are what they say,they are for polishing good paintwork,if its that bad ,you need to get a compounder/cutting machine.The polishers will hardly touch scratches.
It depends on your paintwork. If its original,or had a PROPER respray then it can be cut back.The pro way is to use 1200 grit wet and dry,with penty of soap,followed by G3,which is actualy designed to remove 1200 grit scratches,applied with a compounder or by hand,followed by a mild cutting agent like T cut.
If its had a blow over respray leave well alone and put up with it,You will very quickly cut through the top coat,even with T Cut, and into the primer.
Its also possible that it has been compounded already,so be careful if you go down the G3 route,they will only take a limited ammount of cutting back,if still celly paint.
2 K paints,being much harder,will take a lot more abuse.
Take a boot badge off and do a test area with G3 if it cuts through to primer .................well I've allready said leave it alone.
alexmcguffie
Minor Fan

Post by alexmcguffie »

I'll second kennatts advice, spot on. Clay is only really used for removing 'road film' and exhaust soot and needs to be used with very soapy water to lubricate it.

I've used 3M products in the past but they need to be applied with a compounder ideally. If you do use a compounder be sure to mask everything off like window rubbers, chrome and lights etc.

Heres a video 3M prepared earlier :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0l37jsUryzs
Glad to be back!
cheshiremorris
Minor Friendly

Post by cheshiremorris »

When we got ours it had had a respray ten years ago but was very dull I used buffing machine and cutting compound and lots of traditional wax MER Autoglym etc I came across a yellow Carnauba wax on ebay for £21.99 called Harly wax and couldnt believe the difference the guys sold 2200 of these Ive never seen a transformation like it and over the years Ive tried every polish going nothing comes close. And no Im not on commission to say this !
cheshiremorris
Minor Friendly

Post by cheshiremorris »

And the other thing is its non abrasive and has no nasty chemicals you wipe it on and wipe it off in an hour and it doesnt dry into a white powder that sticks into every crack. one coat looked good 4 coats looks utterly stunning and your not continually cutting back the layers like you are with an abrasive wax particularly important when your concerned about going down to the primer. Id never go back to Meguiars or Autoglym again my experience with these are in 3 months your waxing again Ive even used it for the steering wheel crashpad and banjo steering wheel
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

How much did you say the commission is ?? :lol:
ImageImage
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

Or for the very discerning(or absolutely mad):

http://www.pageandcooper.com/perfection-valet-wax/
MarkyB
Minor Maniac

Post by MarkyB »

Good grief, most of the cost must be for the packaging, no mention of what magic ingredients the wax is made of :)

"Each Perfection Valet Wax is supplied in a custom designed black presentation box with Perfection Shield embossed in silver. The box is secured with a magnetic fastener. The contents of the box include two custom made thick pile micro fibre cloths with silk boarder, these have been made to Perfection's own specification. An Applicator pad 200ml of Perfection Wax Insight sheet with full product information. Every box is provided with hand signed and numbered Certificate."

"Hand made in the United Kingdom."

"Once you break something you will see how it was put together"
cheshiremorris
Minor Friendly

Post by cheshiremorris »

[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]

This car was painted over 10 years ago
tysonn
Minor Legend

Post by tysonn »

They reckon that polish should do 10-12 applications!Was looking for a wax to do my Routemaster but thought better of it LOL!