Discuss anything Morris Minor related.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
delwin
Minor Friendly
MMOC Member: No

transitional minor

Post by delwin »

Is this one - just bought it buld date according to factory cardboard build label is 1964, car 1st reg april 1964.

appreciate comments/advice

Thanks
Dave[frame]Image[/frame][frame]Image[/frame]
LouiseM

Re: transitional minor

Post by LouiseM »

The 'dual personality' Register website has details of how to identify a transitional Minor: http://dpminors.wordpress.com/eligibility/

Eric - 1971 Traveller
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

We can't see enough of it - but why does it matter! ?
ImageImage
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I agree with BMCecosse on this one, both that you need to post some more pictures, and also that it doesn't really make any odds other than for interest's sake! There are so many different variants that I'm not quite sure why the club has got so excited only about the early 1098 'transitional' cars!

Watch out for some of the info on the link that Louise posted, as while it's mainly right, some of its a little misleading. Pop some more pictures up- wipers and interior switches would be useful to see.
delwin
Minor Friendly

Post by delwin »

bmcecosse/liammonty,

For some history is interesting so it may matter to them, for others the opposite is true. Your call.

I asked a simple question but the response seems a little un-necessary. As new to this site my apologies for generating negative response and obviously posting what you view as an irrelevant question....

My view is that before modifying (some may say wrecking) a less common/unusual vehicle I for one like to know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks Louisem I'll look at the link (and save the pictures for the correct time/place)

Dave
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I simply asked why it mattered! We can only tell you if you post up pictures showing the features. But everything changed slowly in that period - so your car may have many 'new' features and only one 'old' feature..... This doesn't add anything to the value of the car - nor, dare I say to it's 'interest'. Over the years the various parts may have been changed anyway! If you want help from the Forum - I suggest a rather more 'friendly' attitude will help.... :roll:
ImageImage
jagnut66
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by jagnut66 »

Hi and welcome,
History is interesting.
I myself have a dual personality car, which I have sympathetically modified, as I use it as my every day car.
1275 midget engine, 5 speed box, vented discs etc. but all of which could be unbolted and reversed.
I have opted to keep the standard wheels and seats to retain the original 'look' (the engine being an A series it looks standard-ish under the bonnet still too).

Some people may consider this sacrilege, I do not.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the standard car and I must confess I miss my 'magic wand' gearbox!
I would say you were right in your (in my perception of what you mean) direction of thought that if something was really rare it should be preserved as standard but a minor 1000 is not ultra rare.
The rest is up to taste or, even I have to say in some cases, the lack there of.............. :lol:

For me my next Moggy will be kept pretty much standard....
Best wishes,
Mike.
1954 Series 2: 4 door: "Sally" -- Back on the ground with (slave) wheels and waiting to be resprayed......
1970 Triumph Herald 1200: "Hetty" -- Driven back from Llangollen in Wales (twice.....)
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

I did actuall offer to help and suggested to you which areas to photograph to post to help identify it. I'm sorry if you think that's a 'little unnecessary'. I think it's great to know about the history of the car - I'm certainly interested in the history of mine (and have owned a so-called transitional traveller myself in the past). There just seems to have been a perception with some people lately given all the attention from the club that they are somehow worth more than earlier or later cars, which I don't think is the case. Good luck with it in any case, and there's no need to get stroppy with me - I wasn't trying to be unpleasant!

Looking close at your picture, the wipers are the later tandem type, and there's a fresh air pipe to the heater in the engine bay so you'll have the later heater too. So the clincher will be the dash switches - if they're pull type ones then the car will likely be one of the later transitional ones, but if toggle switches and an aluminium speedo surround, then it isn't. Seat type also gives a clue, but they have often been replaced by now, so that doesn't always help.
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

All I see in the photos are the 948 style heater pipe, but the later style wipers and later side lights, so would that be Phase 1 1/2?

Personally, I see the early Series V cars as the best of the breed having the mechanical upgrades but maintaining the nicer dash layout, interior, and steering wheel. Due to the abundance of Series III models in the States, the older interior, just seems right and I never warmed up to the new interior.

The beauty of a Minor is you can make yours into whatever you want because it a common practical car that can be easily maintained or upgraded. The value is in how one uses it - as they like.

Which are more significant, these transitional models or the Millions? Or are they just Minors? The most significant one is yours and even better when you're driving it.
liammonty
Minor Legend

Post by liammonty »

Hi Jaekl,
That heater pipe is the fresh air hose which was only fitted to the 1098 cars, not any of the 948s. I'm guessing that's what you meant to write!
jaekl
Minor Addict

Post by jaekl »

Actually, I was referring to the heater hot water feed. Once the bottom hose was modified to have the branch, a copper tube was routed over the top of the manifold and the hose was attached in front of the battery. The later tube went across the front of engine and then went above the spark plugs.

As far as the fresh air vent, I just learned that the in line fan was optional.
nikki1979uk
Minor Friendly

Post by nikki1979uk »

I have one of these too.. as I am a bit weird, having a car that's a bit weird suits me :P

1964 registered, with claper hands wipers, old style heater, door lock barrels from pre62, stearing wheel with the wire in the middle and a pull starter

I call him my "factory made bodge job" :D :lol:
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

I think yours has just been lying in the back of a showroom for a while -waiting to be sold.... As soon a s a 'new' model ws announced - older ones would only be sold at considerable discount - which some dealers may have been slow to appreciate...
ImageImage
nikki1979uk
Minor Friendly

Post by nikki1979uk »

Oooo never thought of that. It has a 1098 engine in it. I think i still might call him my bodge job.
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

bmcecosse wrote:I think yours has just been lying in the back of a showroom for a while -waiting to be sold.... As soon a s a 'new' model ws announced - older ones would only be sold at considerable discount - which some dealers may have been slow to appreciate...
Has anyone done any SERIOUS research into these beasts?

I don't mean Roy, but....then again......
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
bmcecosse
Minor Maniac

Post by bmcecosse »

The subject is not worthy of serious research.....the new parts were just introduced to the Line over a period of time, as the 'old' parts ran out. :roll: The car in question - did it always have a 1098 engine?
ImageImage
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Transitional cars I always class these as what they used to be called parts bin specials :lol: . I cant honestly see any significance and I own one .The car you have looks very nice :)
POMMReg
Minor Legend

Post by POMMReg »

Lee

Chassis,body & engine number please?!

Need to sort out what these things REALLY are, rather than
labeling them with unfortunate initials!
:evil: :o
Further investigations uncovered it was an inside job!!
nikki1979uk
Minor Friendly

Post by nikki1979uk »

Mine has always had the 1098 engine in him :o and for the fact when I brought him there was only one brake working because who ever fitted the servo did it completely wrong........ I kind of figured if they changed the engine it would have been upside down and back to front.

I know it doesn't add any kind of value, but I love that my car is a little bit on the quirky side.
irmscher
Minor Legend

Post by irmscher »

Chris my enigma Chassis number has been sent in a pm :)