Tip for cleaning your Morris Minor seats and saving money!

Got any hints or tips? Share them here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
tmsdvbwn
MMOC Member: No

Tip for cleaning your Morris Minor seats and saving money!

Post by tmsdvbwn »

Hi there I'm currently restoring my 1964 morris minor duotone and cut a £500 corner by not buying a whole new set of seat covers. Besides, I like the 'worn-in' look anyway!

I thought id be brave and scrub some vanish oxi action crystal white stain remover, mixed with some water, into the fabric part of the seats, and wow what a difference! Scrubbed some on the vinyl too and it's cleaned all the grub off without damaging anything! I'm going to stick them all in the washing machine after to give them a good rinse as there's black grubby water pouring out everywhere.

(P.S I do realise that someone's probably already posted this tip but thought id share my experience)

ASL642
Minor Maniac

Re: Tip for cleaning your Morris Minor seats and saving money!

Post by ASL642 »

Do not put the vinyl seat covers in the washing machine. Hand wash only in warm water + vanish! The spinning action of the machine drum will tear off the vinyl coating, and the wadding will gump up. After all they are 40 + years old. :wink:

Lou Rocke
MMOC 43512
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

Heya I used this on mine :) spray on leave for a bit and start scrubbing :lol: it hasn't got it 100% cleaned but certainly is close to clean :)[frame]Image[/frame]

Before[frame]Image[/frame]

And after :D[frame]Image[/frame]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
-1970 Morris traveller - trafalgar blue - De luxe - called Ona
dalebrignall
Minor Legend

Post by dalebrignall »

ive used cif , used to be gif cream on the seats that worked well
[sig]5641[/sig]
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

dalebrignall wrote:ive used cif , used to be gif cream on the seats that worked well
Yeah I thought about using the cream but got the spray instead I may get the cream another time though as they havnt cleaned the seats completely haha
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------1968 Morris Minor - 2 door - Smoke Grey - De luxe - called Norma
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Astonish cream works well also
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

irmscher wrote:Astonish cream works well also
Hmmm on really? Was tempted by it but never heard the name so went for cif haha
nikki1979uk
Minor Friendly

Post by nikki1979uk »

i used flash with bleach. i have all vinyl though,
i figured it worked briliantly on my mortorbike leathers so i would give it a go.

:o :lol: poor roger smelt like a swimming pool for a while though
linwinn
Minor Friendly

Post by linwinn »

How did you manage to get the seat covers off please? I have a split in one, I think I may be able to stitch it but was thinking I would have to unbolt whole seat until I saw your photos.
linwinn
toulky
Minor Friendly

Post by toulky »

MoggyBlue wrote:Heya I used this on mine :) spray on leave for a bit and start scrubbing :lol: it hasn't got it 100% cleaned but certainly is close to clean :)[frame]Image[/frame]

Hi noticed you have an old Krooklock attached to steering wheel. We have one but I cannot get it to fit properly between pedal and the wheel. Any tips please ?

Regards
firedrake1942
Minor Legend

Post by firedrake1942 »

I eventually got the gear lever handbrake version as the Crooklock a) tended to bend the pedal and b) bend the steering wheel if fitted too tight. If fitted loose to avoid the steering wheel bending, the steering wheel could be forced down to release the crook lock. Someone did suggest one end around the drivers seat support and t'other around the steering wheel but i never tried that.
MoggyBlue
Minor Fan

Post by MoggyBlue »

toulky wrote:
MoggyBlue wrote:Heya I used this on mine :) spray on leave for a bit and start scrubbing :lol: it hasn't got it 100% cleaned but certainly is close to clean :)[frame]Image[/frame]

Hi noticed you have an old Krooklock attached to steering wheel. We have one but I cannot get it to fit properly between pedal and the wheel. Any tips please ?

Regards
Hello toulky
I've never had a problem fitting the lock. It's always hooked round the steering wheel and round the stem of the accelerator pedal(sometimes other pedals) so sadly I can't give you any tips never realised there was a problem fitting them are you having the problem of the lock or is it achually getting them round the steering wheel and pedal?
irmscher
Minor Legend
MMOC Member: Yes

Post by irmscher »

Sugar soap is very cheap and very good as a cleaner and goes a long way as you dilute it :)