Peculiar Smell!

Discuss mechanical problems here.
Forum rules
By using this site, you agree to our rules. Please see: Terms of Use
Janie
MMOC Member: No

Post by Janie »

When Daisy is being driven up a very steep hill, she emits a strange odour. It only lasts for a few seconds, and isn't wholly unpleasant, but causes me a moment of panic as I expect something more drastic to happen directly afterwards, ie she'll blow up!! I always check her for oil and water etc and they are both topped up, and there is never any steam, just this strange smell. Could this just be the oily bits on her (rather grubby but soon to be steam cleaned) engine, does she need a new fan belt, or is it something more sinister! She sounds fine, and runs like a dream and has no other problems, and this only happens on very steep hills, which I cannot avoid as I live in a valley (and all the decent pubs are up steep hills!).
stephen
Minor Friendly

Post by stephen »

Well Daisy is an old lady so you'll have to forgive the odd smell.

But seriously, if it is a burning type smell its going to be one of the following:

- some fluid leaking onto the engine/exhaust which could be brake fluid or oil.

- The clutch, if old could be wearing thin and under strain could be overheating

- the brakes under load, but given that its going up hill this is unikely unless they are not probably callibrated

My bet would be the clutch.. how much travel is there left on the pedal?

Stephen
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Stephen has outlined some likely causes of burning smells, but you would expect that the smell would increase as you climb up the hill - especially if the clutch was burning.
It's hard to see why it should stop after a few seconds.

Heated oil can smell sickly sweet - is that what you can smell ?[ This Message was edited by: Chris Morley on 21-03-2002 00:46 ]
Chris Morley

Post by Chris Morley »

Another thought - it sounds like your engine ( like mine ) seeps a little oil - not unusual for an A-series. This increases on mine when the engine is working hard - ie at higher speeds. The same would happen on a steep hill. Sometimes I notice a drop of oil clinging to the bottom of the sump - perhaps when the car is on an incline this falls onto the exhaust pipe where it would heat up ? It might be worth carefully looking at the exhaust for traces of burnt oil.
Janie

Post by Janie »

I hadn't realized the clutch could get stinky, but it is an old and knackered one and is being replaced on saturday. The engine does get a bit oily which is why I am getting it steam cleaned, and I was hoping it was nothing more sinister than those things, as I would be a bit miffed if she suddenly exploded!
Janie

Post by Janie »

oops it posted twice![ This Message was edited by: Janie on 21-03-2002 14:04 ]
Willie
Minor Legend

Post by Willie »

If you are having the engine steam cleaned
then make sure you spray it with WD40 or
similar afterwards. Every 'steamed' engine
I have seen is covered with rust 24 hours later.
Willie
stephen
Minor Friendly

Post by stephen »

I always clean my engine myself.

I attach the garden hose to the hot water system in the house (dishwasher or washing machine inlet) and drive the car onto the grass. Then take an old dishwashing brush and some rubber gloves and have at it!

Household detergents are also helpful.

Just be sure to cover all the electrical bits with plastic bags

Probably environmentally unsound, but effective.

Stephen
Janie

Post by Janie »

As I have a steam cleaner, would it be safe to do it myself! I thought that garages had a special machiney thing, but if you can do it with a hose, maybe it is possible to do it with my steamer! (it worked a charm getting the icky bits out of my oven so I suppose it could work!)
Wish me luck!!